What're you listening to II

chucK

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot Hot Heat - Make Up the Break Down is worth buying and not stealing. But they are starting to get popular enough that they aren't cool to listen to anymore rolleyes.gif

i guess they are in the same vein as the flava-du-jour garage rock stuff like Jet and White Stripes and the Hives etc. Except clever and not all 4/4 time signature. I bet they wear skinny ties. SUB POP yo.

thumbs_up.gifHot Hot Heat's definitely in that past-the-burnout-from-playing-it-over-and-over-at-first-but-probably-headed-for-the-bottom-of-the-stack-for-a-couple-years-after-this-playing zone.

But it's hard to be sentimental when there's new Blonde Redhead in the burner rockband.gif

Make that Common Rider, 'This Is Unity Music' (with a few other tracks thrown in for good measure). This is truly a classic album, really different from their first. It's got smart lyrics, it's definitely punk rock, with some more inventive ska stylings here and there, some almost 80's rock influences in evidence, and lotsa pop sensibility. That's "pop sensibility" in a catchy tunes and hooks kinda way, not like some Top 40 power-pop band who thinks they play "punk rock" because they have distortion boxes and Blink 182 t-shirts (just turn on the radio, you'll probably hear one of these bands within five minutes).

Jesse Michaels is a genius! rockband.gif

UNKLE - Never Never Land. No DJ Shadow, all James Lavelle. "Even in heaven there were angels carrying savage weapons".

DJ Vadim - Stereo Pictures Vol 3. "The greatest evil facing America is COMMUNISM. Communism is the religion of the devil."

Black Eyed Peas - Elephunk. "Stinkin like fat ladies shittin out logs we pump enough funk to keep your toilets clogged."

RZA - Ghost Dog soundtrack. "The way of the samurai is found in death. Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily."

Neil Young - Greendale. "Tell him I've got a new song to sing. It's twice as long as all the others combined and it don't mean a thing."

rockband.gif

We are the children who grew too fast

We are the dust of a future past

We raise our voices in the night

Crying to heaven

And will our voices be heard

Or will they Break Like The Wind

We are the footprints across the sands

We are the thumb on a stranger's hand

We made a promise in the night

Swearing to heaven Is this a promise we keep

Or one we Break Like The Wind

Hey!

We are the guests who have stayed too long

We are the end of the endless song

We send our hearts into the night

Soaring to heaven

And will out hearts still beat on

Or will they Break Like The Wind

Ooh, Break Like The Wind.

Hey DFA, nice to see you've come around. You were pretty tepid on the topic of Common Rider last time we discussed 'em and you were unimpressed with the new disc. It's one of those things that grew and grew on me until I lost it, probably in one of these stacks of cd's that litter my house and office.

I've had The Ravonettes "Chain Gang Of Love" in heavy rotation of late, though since they're opening for the Strokes in Seattle I fear they may be destined for Fern's too-popular-to-be-cool category. Danish duo with others to fill in, they've got the male-female vocal thing going with a great churning pop sound, and often some kind of wierd noise layered into the background. As an added bit of wierdness, I believe they boast that every song is written in B flat major. Geek_em8.gif I have to thank my local library for having this disc.

[quote

Del ROCKS. That's a GREAT disc.

Kid Koala thumbs_up.gif

Dan the Automator: thumbs_up.gif

rockband.gif

Check out this other project by Dan the Automator:

Lovage: Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By

It keeps me happy.

I'm also grooving on Micheal Franti & Spearhead (Everybody deserves music).

For those unfamiliar, it's the legitimate child of Barry White and Billy Bragg

bigdrink.gif