Brush with Greatness

dkemp

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dinner with Carlos Buhler after the slideshow he gave earlier this year here in PDX.

I had dinner with Fred Beckey when he was in town two weeks ago. Then I went out to the Lucky Lab afterward and watched him get digits from no less than 3 women in their 30's. Watched him dodge questions left and right, including harmless ones-

Me: "Did you make the trail up depot creek?"

Fred: "It's been there for a while."

I ran into Lowell Skoog on the trail up to Boston Basin, and not realizing who he was, asked for any beta on the West Ridge of Forbidden then went on my merry way.

ChrisT said:

I met Ansel Adams and his wife at their home in Carmel years ago - 1981 I think.

I ran into the former mayor (Clint Eastwood) when working there, as well as sold some dishes to his wife (the local news anchor) - I didn't realize who she was until she produced her ID when paying by check.

Dru said:

bunglehead said:

I got a really nice e-mail from Alan Watts earlier this year.

i got a really nice advance copy of the NEW SMITH ROCK GUIDE from him earlier this year evils3d.gifevils3d.gif

I'm sick of this "advance copy" bs when it's been out for weeks now. Too bad mine got pretty soaked in the rain last weekend lol

iain said:

Dru said:

bunglehead said:

I got a really nice e-mail from Alan Watts earlier this year.

i got a really nice advance copy of the NEW SMITH ROCK GUIDE from him earlier this year evils3d.gifevils3d.gif

I'm sick of this "advance copy" bs when it's been out for weeks now. Too bad mine got pretty soaked in the rain last weekend lol

oh is yours printed on paper? mine is printed on Goretex! and comes with a Miox Pen in the spine for disinfecting the Crooked River with rolleyes.gif

When I was one year old (1963) my mom took us to see Martin Luther King Jr march in Jackson MS. He stopped and asked my mom if she would join the march. She said "No, Dr King, I got my family here." He waved and she waved, and the march progressed. Yeah, my mom is awesome.

I once had BillyGoat stay the night at my pad. He actually fell for the line, "Breakfast is my specialty." smileysex5.gif

I once had Klenke name a peak correctly on a "Name that Peak" thread I started.

Jennifer Love Hewitt gave me a smooch on the cheek as my grandpa picked me up from school one day. He teased me for months. We were in second grade, at which point in her career she was already wearing makeup. She didn't look like this yet, though:

maxim2.jpg

Oh, and Scot'teryx gave me a belay test at Cascade Crags.

dkemp said:

When I was one year old (1963) my mom took us to see Martin Luther King Jr march in Jackson MS. He stopped and asked my mom if she would join the march. She said "No, Dr King, I got my family here." He waved and she waved, and the march progressed. Yeah, my mom is awesome.

Wow - that's beautiful man. Wish I'd met Dr. King. The closest I came to greatness was shaking the hand of an overweight Ted Kennedy when he was running for president in 1980. tongue.gif