How do you rate yourself??

Distel32

Today at the rainy crag of World Wall I Rumr and I were discussing how you rate yourself.

Do you call yourself a 5.11 climber because you can onsight 11s, or do you call yourself a 5.10 climber because you can redpoint10s. Or do you even say you're a 13 climber because you've projected and done a couple 13s??

Interesting topic. I think there are arguments for redpoint level and onsight level, but it is hard to justify saying you're a 12 climber if it took you 5 months to do a 5.12a

opinions sans spray please wave.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I say I am a 5.10 climber I will climb any 5.10 with you in the alpine and I will not fail you, leading or following. The odds of me falling are extremely unlikely. That would be a 5.10 climber, in my opinion. I have onsigted 5.10's at smith but I do not consider myself a 5.10 climber, for instance, as 5.10 can kick my ass at times following at beacon rock, or at tieton, or at smith for that matter. Edit: in fact, it doesn't seem to matter what you call yourself. seems better just to consider the climb ahead and judge your abilities climb-by-climb, especially when you are teaming up with someone new for an alpine climb.

michael_layton said:

So this is what boulderers talk about.

This is the new rock climbing forum, lets not ruin it so quickly.

BTW, anyone seen a magazine I think called Bouldering? Has a whole article on bouldering in patagonia. yellowsleep.gif

Yeah! This belongs in the new PEBBLE WRESTLING FORUM grin.gif

If I say I'm a hasbeen it means I would like to cheastbeat about how good I used to be but I am so far from it now, no one would believe me.

A 5.10 climber should be able to lead most 5.10s.

A solid 5.10 climber can usually get up an 11 and should be able to cruise any 10 on lead.

That was the assesment scale I used to find in most places. But I am a hasbeen.

Agree with most posts here. I feel it is an area by area basis. If one can onsight most .10s at smith, does that mean he is going to be able to onsight most .10s at Index, Yos, or Senaca? Doubtful. If you are talking about meeting a new partner and trying to convey to thewm your level, that is how you should proceed. If you've never climbed at the area you are going, then tell your potential partner something on the lower end or say I climb at this level at this area. Ratings are individual and should be treated as such. There are varrying ratings even within a specific area, so if the line looks like fun, do it! By the way, I onsighted V0 in the gym last night! hahaha.gif

I'm sorry but I don't think I made any references to bouldering at all. This was something Rumr brought up with me and we both thought we should see what other people thought without spray. Please show me where I talked about bouldering rolleyes.gif

I agree with the onsight stuff people are saying, and I think if you can onsight over 75% of the routes you try at a level than that should be it.

jja said:

At the risk of sounding like dr phil, we are all three different climbers ...

1. The climber we tell others that we are.

2. The climber that we think we are.

3. The climber that we really are.

the trick is to get all three to match.

I disagree. I am very straightforward on what I can and cannot do. I don't necessarily "rate" myself, as much as communicate what climbs I have done and felt strong on (when meeting a new partner). If asked, I usually downgrade myself a number, because then I KNOW I'm totally solid if they turn out to be slightly less than desired as a belayer.

scot'teryx said:

I can totally onsight 5.6's

This isn't always a blanket statement for me. A feel totally comfortable in 5.9 cracks most of the time, but 5.9 face/friction makes me a little nervous, and I hate 5.9 chimneys. So, for me, it depends on the climb as to what I say.