Snowshoes: MSR Denali Classics vs Ascents

cjain

After slipping & sliding with my old, heavy Sherpas last weekend, I've decided its time to upgrade. Currently I'm leaning toward the MSR Denali snowshoes & trying to decide between the "Classic" and Ascent" models.

Looking at the MSR web site, the only features that the Ascent has that the Classic does not are the (1) heel-lifting device for climbing slopes and (2) "sabre teeth" on the traction bars.

The Ascents will run me approx. $160 while I can get the Classics for approx. $80. So... I'm curious to know how useful the extra features are so I can decide whether they're worth paying twice the price for?

Has anyone noticed a big difference in performance betwen the Ascents and the Classics?

Thanks,

Chris

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I went with, and I'd still go with, the classics. Do you really need the extra traction? The classics seam to me to have plenty of grip. This past winter I finally bought a pair (of classics) to replace my old Sherpas.

I decided on the classics not only because they were cheaper, but because they are lighter too. I think that the ascents are silly - if you come out with a new snowshoe that has more traction people will automatically assume they need more traction.

I own a pair of the Classics, and am testing the new Ascents. Having used them both this season, I vastly preferred the Ascents. The lifters really help with fatigue on steep ups, for one thing. The new Ascents are much narrower so your stride is more natural, for another.

Colin said:

Personally, I went with, and I'd still go with, the classics. Do you really need the extra traction? The classics seam to me to have plenty of grip. This past winter I finally bought a pair (of classics) to replace my old Sherpas.

I decided on the classics not only because they were cheaper, but because they are lighter too. I think that the ascents are silly - if you come out with a new snowshoe that has more traction people will automatically assume they need more traction.

I do have to admit, tho, as much as I thought the ascents were crap at first, that the heel lifter bar is pretty nice for long moderate uphill climbs.

One thing that I have noticed with my classics is the rivets have popped out in the front holes connecting the plastic with the teeth in the past, and have required a repair. I recommend zip ties in your bag of tricks, along with duct tape or other useful gear first aid stuff.

It seems that the people I have gone with the ascents use less energy on inclines than I do with my classics, but for $80 more I almost wonder if there is another way to get a heel rise for going up inclines, which seem to transfer the floatation over the shoes more efficiently.

TTT

I've had a set of classics for three seasons now and am quite happy with them. I was envious of the ascents at first, but like Colin, I don't think I really need all that the ascents are cracked up to be. The classic crampon teeth have proved sufficient for me so far. The elevator thingies would be nice on occasion, but then if the snow is firm enough for that to matter, I would prob be walking anyways. Besides, they're kinda cumbersome to flicke the things down and they're a pain to walk in on slight declines with the things up. If you really really want this feature, you could shell out $20 for the BD or G3 heel lifter kits. Just my $0.02.

They're flinging snow shoes for crying out loud. Put em on, attempt to space out completely until you're there, take em off, do something interesting. Alternatively, put em on your pack while doing something interesting.

If you pay $80 for pair of heel lifters then I have various stuff to sell you at exorbitant prices.

Or, for $80 I'll teach you how to rig your crampons onto the tails of your Denali classics for an impromptu heel lifter at no extra weight, without duct tape or anything other than the crampon straps. If it's a long enough an incline for heel lifters to really make a difference, then spending a couple of minutes tying down your crampons doesn't take too long. All those holes on those snowshoes are way handy yellaf.gif

To_The_Top said:

One thing that I have noticed with my classics is the rivets have popped out in the front holes connecting the plastic with the teeth in the past, and have required a repair

Better yet, bring along a stainless steel, 1" #12 machine screw with a washer and an aircraft nut, or drill out the front rivets and replace them now so they won't break on you, as they did on me. I broke the two front rivets on both snowshoes on the same scramble up Lookout Peak with klenke.

• 4 months later...

In my experience running a college outdoor program and from what other guides in the area I came from have also found, the really really problematic part is the clevis pins that attach the binding to the shoe frame. They for some convoluted reason use an aluminum pin, which after 2 or 3 years of rental use, shears because two stainless plates have been rubbing a groove into it and it becomes a toothpick in the middle. I would sugest heading to your local marine shop and getting 4 stainless clevis pins to replace the aluminum ones for about $3 and maybe an ounce. Both the classic and the ascent have the same problem, both otherwise work fine. I like the heel lifter in the ascent. It's not worth $80 but you can't get it any cheaper. They are all over the place used for cheaper than new classics anyway.