Snowshoes: MSR Denali Classics vs Ascents

cjain

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another victim of the clevis pins here. out of 4 snowshoes, only one came back from my trip to alaska this spring with it's original hardware. the way MSR attaches the binding to the frame is LAME. fixed it with some 4mm cord. it wasn't so much the fixing i minded, it was the time it took while we hung out in the middle of an avy. exposed slope to do it...

i like the classics because what i really want to do when showshoeing is stick the stupid things in my pack and do some real climbing, and they weigh less.

i don't see it on their website yet but MSR is comming out with a really cool new snowshoe. it will make the whole denali line so last week. it is kind of like a regular bearpaw shoe with neoprene fabric, only instead of aluminuminum tubing the frame is a tensioned, flat, bent piece of aluminuminum. they are super light (lighter than denalis) and look like they will provide awesome uphill and sidehill traction. i can't speak to their durability but i didn't see any major design flaw weaknesses.

they look like they will rockband.gif

skiing, of course, will still be more fun.

I have a four year old pair of Denalis and with the exception of the studs that hold on the tails, they don't have any aluminum at all. The rails and claw are of painted steel. The clevis pins are of stainless steel. Granted the claws/bindings broke once and were replaced by MSR. Maybe the originals were aluminum. I don't remember.

With regard to the new design, I am only going on what I could see in the photo. Perhaps they ARE different.

forrest_m said:

another victim of the clevis pins here. out of 4 snowshoes, only one came back from my trip to alaska this spring with it's original hardware. the way MSR attaches the binding to the frame is LAME. fixed it with some 4mm cord. it wasn't so much the fixing i minded, it was the time it took while we hung out in the middle of an avy. exposed slope to do it...

i like the classics because what i really want to do when showshoeing is stick the stupid things in my pack and do some real climbing, and they weigh less.

Uhuh thumbs_up.gif