Coyotes

nolanr

I've been wondering about this for a while, curious what other people have experienced. I know there's coyotes in the Cascades, I've seen one in the Paradise area of Rainier, also near the town of Trout Lake south of Mt. Adams. I've spent a lot of nights camped in various parts of the Cascades, and never once heard a coyote vocalizing. But it seems like you're almost guaranteed of hearing them "singing" at night if you're on the eastern side of Washington or Oregon. I don't even have a guess why there would be a regional difference. Anyone noticed the same thing? Or anybody heard them singing in the Cascades?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by offwidthclimber:
it's not the cascades, but when i was growing up in southern idaho, our cat population was directly proportional to how hungry the local coyote population was. practically had to chase the bastards out of our yard sometimes.

seen a few since i've moved to north idaho, but not nearly as many as in southern idaho.

I hear ya. Growin up my brother and I used to pick em off with .22's when we'd catch em slinkin around the property. They were always up to no good.

One Friday night this past summer my partner and I were camping out in the parking lot for Giant Green Buttress, hoping to get an early start on Dreamer. I was sleeping in the back of my Pathfinder and he was sleeping out under the stars. I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of him throwing rocks all over the place. He told me in the morning that "several" coyotes had surrounded him while he was sleeping and were sniffing him. He was all tied up in his mummy bag and woke up totally freaked out. I told him if they had been wolves then maybe they would have tried to eat him. He didn't think this was funny.

[big Drink]

Coyotes in the woods behind my house in Bellevue answer to the sirens. When a fire truck goes by they respond with a chorus of howls.

Saw one wolf while descending WhiteChuck Mt. in April, 1999. It was sitting on its haunches looking into a snowfilled basin. Earlier in the day on the upclimb I noticed goat tracks in the snow, a kid and a nanny. The wolf was slategray in color.

I was thinking as the Cascades as basically the divider between western and eastern half of the Northwest states, so Smith Rock area I would call east. I've heard many times about coyotes having a special affinity for munching on house cats. Mmm, yummy. I'd also heard about coyotes thriving in urban areas (L.A. even, they cruise around through the aquaduct things). I haven't heard any singing around a major city, but maybe I'll get lucky some time. I'd also say anybody that has seen a wolf in the Cascades (or a wolf anywhere, even Alaska) is extremely lucky. Now I'm jealous. [Wazzup]

Oh yeah, about the guy sleeping out and getting sniffed by coyotes. I don't think he was in much danger, they were probably just curious. That's actually surprising they would approach a human, they tend to be extremely wary of us 2 legged critters. So far as I know wolves don't attack and eat people either, in spite of what probably 99% of cattle and sheep ranchers in Montana and Wyoming would tell you ('cause they're all deluded liars who are living in the dark ages still when it comes to the actual behaviors of predatory species...oops, sounds like I'm about to get off on a rant there).

It was such a treat to see the tourons feeding a coyote on the side of the loop road in Yosem. two years ago. So cute! For Chrissakes, nothing has changed since the Fifties when you used to see that crap happen. Coyotes are annoying, mountain lions are where it's at! Last weekend while skiing up a road in Manning Park (BC), I noticed the adundant animal tracks and could actually re-create the scene of a mtn lion sneaking up on a rabbit, seeing the rabbit shit its pants (honest!) and burn tail into the woods (no blood!) Then, on the way back down the road three hours later, I noticed that within the skin tracks I had made on the way up were mtn lion prints going the same way as us! Good way to impress your new snow bunny, showing her how you were being stalked by a beast that occaisonally makes meals of humans!

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: jordo ]

quote:

Originally posted by nolanr:
So far as I know wolves don't attack and eat people either, in spite of what probably 99% of cattle and sheep ranchers in Montana and Wyoming would tell you ('cause they're all deluded liars who are living in the dark ages still when it comes to the actual behaviors of predatory species...oops, sounds like I'm about to get off on a rant there).

According to the folks at Wolfhaven in Tenino, there is no documented case of a wolf attaching a human in Noth America. I've also read (in a Audobon magazine, I think, in a doctor's office a few months ago) that there are more coyotes in NA now than when Columbus showed up, since wolves keep the coyote population down.

wolves were killing deer in the streets of pemberton last winter. wild kingdom baby!

jordo i hear you about the cougars. you walk one way, you come back 15 minutes later and there are cougar tracks over top of yours --bad time to have to tie up a shoe lace.

i have heard coyotes on both sides of the range but the urban ones do seem much quieter. survival instinct?