What is a "sick" climbing route?

catbirdseat

I think I have a pretty good idea of the meaning of the word "sick" in the context of hard climbing routes, but is there an exact definition? Is a sick route just very technically difficult, or is it also dangerous, committed all all three? My question would be best answered by citing examples of actual climbs.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sexual_chocolate said:

That three move boulder sickness was pure sick, man. Especially the second move; That was way fucking sick!

That 12b rp seam was so sick I puked. Fuck doing that again.

3 bolts on a 100 foot sustained 11b? That's pretty sick, but not as sick as I am of the word "sick".

That was some totally sick usage of the word sick, yo.

What about Trip Master %$#ing Monkey?! Has anyone even bothered to look at the damned photo? I'm telling you, that sucker is soooooo sick........ madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

The term "sick" is another inane piece of climbing slang that was once considered clever but now is vastly overused. Actually, I thought it was kind of lame the first time I heard it and I wasn't sure if it meant something was good, bad, hard or otherwise. Like back in the day when the word "cool" was standard, then the term "hot" was coined to mean really good in a similar way. Polar opposites yet approximate. I personally put the term "sick" in the same rubbish bin as "take!" and other worn out shoes, but as long as we retain an inkling of what the users of such words mean, we can still communicate regardless.

- Dwayner

And by the way, Cocoa-Breath, I think it would be a real stretch to apply the word "sick" (as I understand it) to a boulder problem, unless you intend the word to mean "get a life".

Edited by Dwayner

cracked said:

clm0118b.jpg

Chris had better get a life, then. This ain't sick! Why, it isn't even climbing! Never mind that only about 7 out of several billion people on the planet can get up the thing, it's not sick! rolleyes.gif C'mon Dwayner, let's spar a little.

Read the Subject line...."sick" climbing "route"....not boulder problem.....sheesh fruit.gif

ps. Dreamtime is definitely "sick" moves for a bp....saw a vid on climbxmedia.com

cracked said:

7 out of several billion people on the planet can get up the thing

I bet thousands, dare I say, millions could get up the thing. Not everyone in the world is blessed with the time and resources to bum around Switzerland climbing boulders in the forest.

Silly old codgers. You all really date yourselve for even asking (not age but attituce). The simpsons made fun of this.

Don't you know that slang terms don't have anything to do with their actual meaning when used in the slang context.

Stoked

Pumped

Sick

Dope

Bad

Cool

Diet (Erik loves this one when sandbagging a routed for you)

The fact that you even asked precludes you from ever using it in a sentence for anything other that discussing illness.

cracked said:

Chris had better get a life, then. This ain't sick! Why, it isn't even climbing! Never mind that only about 7 out of several billion people on the planet can get up the thing, it's not sick! rolleyes.gif C'mon Dwayner, let's spar a little.

Dude, see above...Howse of Cards...that's "sick". It's an amazing, impressive piece of climbing in an amazing place. The penalty for failing is great. Chris wanking on some oversized rock in the forest is not sick, no matter how hard you try to say it is. Well, I suppose if he fell, he could sprain an ankle. rolleyes.gifyelrotflmao.gif

During the winter of 1990, after way too much to drink and smoke in the burbs of Pasadena, only sometime-climbing-partner Tony would continue onward to Joshua Tree with me. Tony was literally green from his hangover, and I didn't feel any better. We opted for something easy, so we climbed Walk on the Wildside which I had never done before. No smiling that day. The hangovers only seemed to get worse. We topped out then bailed the monument for some Edchadas and hair of the dog. That was a sick route.