Need a new rope

mtn_mouse

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd defin. go with 60m. I haven't yet gotten around to switching to the twin ropes method, but I think 11mm is overkill. A 10 or a 10.5 is still beefy enough to sustain abuse, provide psychological security (if it is needed) and does shave off some of that weight.

Also having used a bi-pattern rope of a friend, I would def. buy one of those the next rope I purchase, is clearly worth the extra $10-20 to determine the mid-point. Some markers can damage sheaths and also in the case of my main rope, it is getting really faded and easy to pass.

mtn_mouse said:

Thanks for the advice guys. I am guess I am a bit 'old guard', and we've used 150' ropes, 11 mm for years. I need to update my gear so I can show off for the climber babes.

Yeah. I've been wearin the same wool underwear for years. It's like getting a vasectomy only worse.

I went to twin 50m 9mms in the mid 80's. Alpine, big crags, Index whatever, I loved the versatility immediately. Now, through a sale I couldn't pass up, I have a 10.2 and a 7mm both 60m. It's OK but the 10.2 is overkill these days. Twin 60m 8.7s dry, bicolored will definately be my next set.

And for the next decade I will wear poly pro underwear.

mtn_mouse said:

I need a new 11mm rope. I like the idea of the longer 60 meter rope (almost 200'). Any comments out there, do you like the longer ropes, or should I stick with the 50m standard. wave.gif

If you don't mind luggin' it, a 70m is the way to go...The first 20 feet always gets banged up the worst, you just chop that and you'll still have a 60m+ rope...plus, it alleviates a lot of concerns about getting dropped while being lowered...

JoshK said:

7mm!? I assume this is a typo?

Nyet. 7mm, 60m. light. Use as 2nd rope for rapels. Mostly I use it doubled for solo climbs that have little roped climbing. I tie figure eights in both. Carry very little gear, like 10 pieces. Rap off 100' or less. I tried it as an experiment and decided I like it. I would definately recommend twin 8.7's as a normal setup though.

Edelrid is just as good as Mammut. Dude those things are durable. I had an 11mx50m that was 12 years old and I still trusted for cleaning, rapping, TRing, jugging and fixing, and aid self belays. But I deecided to get rid of it so i gave it to my dad and he wrecked it using it to cut trees down.

The most junk ropes, are Maxim. I had one that lasted less than 2 yrs but i used it for 6 anyways cause i was cheap hellno3d.gif. had to keep cutting off bits of the sheath cause it stretched way more than the core did.