Stim Bullitt - RIP

tomtom

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009088473_webbullitt20m.html

Stimson Bullitt, former president of KING Broadcasting, dead at 89

Charles Stimson "Stim" Bullitt, former president of King Broadcasting, political activist, lawyer, author and businessman, died Sunday at 89.

By Jack Broom

Charles Stimson "Stim" Bullitt, former president of King Broadcasting, political activist, lawyer, author and businessman, died Sunday at 89. Bullitt died peacefully at his West Seattle home following a long illness, according to family members. Bullitt was the eldest child of A. Scott Bullitt and KING founder Dorothy Stimson Bullitt. He grew up in The Highlands, north of Seattle, and was educated at Yale University and the University of Washington Law School, according to HistoryLink.org. He served in the U.S. Navy in World War II and was awarded the Purple Heart after suffering an shrapnel wound in the Philippines. After the war, he became active in a variety of Democratic causes, making an unsuccessful run for Congress in 1952. In 1961, he became president of KING-TV. He opposed the Vietnam War and many of the policies of President Richard Nixon, which resulted in him being placed on Nixon's "enemies list." Stimson created Seattle's Harbor Properties, constructing more that 1,300 residences, including affordable housing and the signature Harbor Steps on First Avenue. As an attorney, he was known for his work on environmental and human-rights causes. Survivors include his wife Clementine "Tina" Hollingsworth Bullitt, and former wife Kay Bullitt, of Seattle; sister Harriet Bullitt of Leavenworth; daughters Ashley Bullitt of Port Townsend, Jill Bullitt Rigsbee of Durham, N.C., Dorothy Bullitt and Margaret Bullitt, both of Seattle, son Fred Nemo of Portland; seven grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. Another son, Ben Bullitt, died in 1981.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Progressive and pro-business, what a guy!Wish there were many more like him. It is great to know more about his life. I only knew about the climbing-legend part. I would bet a great bio could be written about this very interesting fellow. Rest on Stim, and looking forward to learning from you.

I would bet a great bio could be written about this very interesting fellow. Rest on Stim, and looking forward to learning from you.

He has a Memoir called River Dark & Bright. Haven't read it, but saw it when I was at the Sleeping Lady (founded by, I believe his sister) a couple of months ago.

I rarely participate in these "tribute" threads but this guy was tops. I'd like to say something touching or eloquent but that is really all there is to it. Stimson was often out there and if you climbed around here a lot you probably ran into him once in a while - at least in the last few years - and had a good interaction with the man. I'll miss him next time I don't see him for a while.

nelsonphotostim.jpg

Yeah! 89 good years baby, great ride he had - brightened up the world a bit, had a fantastic life, stayed long, lived full and then checked out. Wow! Hope I do as well. See you all on the other side at some point.

never met him, but damn he looks like kirk douglas in this shot, eh?

"wise sir - do not grieve - for every one of us, living in this world means waiting for our end - let he who can achieve glory before death - when a warrior is gone, that will be his best and only bulwark"

I met him once about fifteen years ago. I didn't know who he was. He was descending Boston Basin with some big swarthy Eastern European climber who didn't speak any English. Bullitt introduced himself to me and showed me his backcountry permit. He was very friendly and had a larger-than-life personality that radiated optimism. I couldn't help but like him right off. What a character! RIP Stim Bullitt...

The JT route in the magazines was Illusion Dweller (10b) I think and when interviewed Stim said it was so hard he didn't want to do anything more at that level (JT trad at least).

I competed against him once in the Masters division at the Redmond VW and the crafty bastard beat me despite a 30+ year age difference. He was really good at assessing climbs from the bottom that suited his style while I just threw myself at everything and failed at many. A humbling experience for me but his climbing tenacity into his later years was very inspiring.

I had the pleasure of helping him reach his goal of climbing five of the quality .10a's at the Exit 38 area after he turned 82. Iguanarama at Amazonia was on his list so Stim, Tina, my girlfriend Lynn and I hiked up to Amazonia and watched as he styled his way up Iguanarama and followed me up a few more harder routes at the crag. Another one on his list was Stairway to Heaven which has a fairly long uphill approach that I later learned he successfully completed. He eventually completed his goal during his 82nd year! I can only hope to be having the same adventures when I reach those years. I consider myself very lucky to have known such a great man! Rick

i've been wondering, was he born 'stim bullitt" or was that a nom de guerre or somethign? a totally badass name for a badass climber!

I briefly dated a gal who was Stim's god daughter. She referred to him as "Stimmy". Decidedly less bad ass.

I would bet a great bio could be written about this very interesting fellow. Rest on Stim, and looking forward to learning from you.

He has a Memoir called River Dark & Bright. Haven't read it, but saw it when I was at the Sleeping Lady (founded by, I believe his sister) a couple of months ago.

That's worth reading. I picked up a copy after a friend and Vertical Club employee told me about this old character who would take head-first whippers on the lead wall. I introduced myself and informed him I was reading his book. He seemed as tickled as I was impressed.

In River Dark and Bright he commented on how disappointingly ephemeral life is. He wasn't the type to squander one minute of it, whether in pursuit of adventure or improving his community through a position of power. He was one who understood the importance and responsibility of leadership.

• 4 years later...

Hi to all who posted here.

I realize this thread is a few years old now, but I thought it was worth mentioning that Mountaineers Books will be publishing a climbing biography by Stim Bullitt, as it had been suggested as a good idea on this forum and I thought you'd like to know.

It will come out in November 2013 - just a few weeks away! Here is a link to more info http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/Illusion-Dweller-P1176.aspx

The book's title, Illusion Dweller, is drawn from that infamous route at JTree.

If you'd like to be invited to our book launch party, please send me a note - LaceT @ mountaineersbooks.org

Best! Lace, Mountaineers Books