THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's to stop Joe Fourwheeler from taking a bunch of his buddies into NCNP with a few chainsaws, if he thinks that he can just clear miner's trails at will? Perhaps that's a poor example, but clearly the recreational industry has the money and the willpower to "improve" wilderness roads themselves, and I wouldn't be surprised if the current government gave such business interests the power to do so.

The job market really DOES suck for people in high tech jobs here in Seattle. It's easy to criticise someone who can't find work. Trask ought to walk a mile in your shoes before he pontificates about how supposedly easy it is to find work. I just barely survived a layoff in September and some my friends who were laid off (chemists, biochemists) are still looking for work. I have climbing friends in the computer sector that have been looking for work for a year. The only area of the economy that is doing half-decent is construction.

Let me explain something about me. I've been a logger, a carpenter, a mill worker, a car salesman, a roofing estimator, a boat salesman, a boat dealer, a Safeway box boy, a college student, drove cement truck, drove a log truck, drove dump trucks and finally found my calling in the insurance industry. The reason I've had all these interesting jobs is because I was and still am open to change and am willing to do whatever it takes to put food on the table. I don't believe in Welfare unless one is hurt, nor am I one to sit around on unenjoyment benefits while waiting for a job in my chosen field to magically appear. I'm a grab-it-by-the-balls kind of guy.

There are jobs out there people. Granted, you may have to take a detour from your chosen field, but isn't that better than sitting around bitching about your sorry plight in life? So there you have my philosophy on work. moon.gif

btw...I'm done with this fucking thread. It's depressing and I need my sleep for work tomorrow.

Insurance is right up there with death and taxes. There will always be jobs in insurance. You are right though in saying that people have to be willing to change careers sometimes if they want to find work. That would be hard for me to do, since I am so specialized and love what I do. I've changed jobs 9 times and 5 of them were lay-offs. The longest stretch of unemployment for me was six weeks. I consider myself lucky.

Okay, catbird, I'll do it before trask does. WTF is wrong with insurance?! madgo_ron.gif I've never sold it, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it on as a job and consider it a good one. "There will always be jobs in insurance" is exactly what he's talking about.

Trask's right, there are too many people whining about a lack of jobs, when what they are really saying is "I'm not able to fulfull my personal destiny! fruit.gif I'm above doing the 'average' job. I'm above doing a trade."

Get a job, work harder than people expect you to, demonstrate your ingenuity and move up... or move onto something better when the opportunity arises. I see fewer and fewer people embracing this basic, logical approach to career. They think they are entitled. Unfortunately, I see this problem most often in young males in their twenties, who came from broken homes without a father. I see guys that ought to be enthusiastic hard chargers who instead are whining and quit within a year, moving onto the next short-term job.

Oh, so your excuse is that you don't get recognized for your output as Worker#58003 in your cubicle at Microprogramming Inc.? Simple, go find another job at a smaller company where you WILL be recognized. Change careers if necessary. Move to a slightly less desirable place if necessary; shit, you're young and you ain't in the leisure class... yet. Work in something mundane and un-sexy if necessary, because others will stupidly pass by good jobs because they aren't 'cool' enough.

Trask and co are somewhat right. I know way to many people who had jobs in various bullshit dotcom, web designer, web artist, HTML "coder" ,etc etc. fields and lost them in the last couple of years. Tons of these people expect to get jobs in the computer industry again when, in reality, they have to realize that writing web pages, etc. takes about as much skill as flipping burgers. About half of the people I know just decided to accept that and moved into entirely new fields, while the other half continue to bitch. I respect the half that moved on.

I agree with you Trask. The comment about Alaska and the grid lines shows how fucking ignorant that person is. During the winter dog teams, snow mobiles use these grig lines for roads at times to access areas for trapping, hunting, recreation, etc. I used to love it when a group of machines made a path to xc ski on. Beat the hell out of breaking trail.

You lower 48 babies are all alike. You want it your way and no other way, waaaaaa, waaaaaa. Here's a tip go to a store and buy some tissue to dry up.

As an ending note, I'd love to see one of you bush men go into a bush situation and screw with some of my friends from the Great White North. haha...tundra fodder you'd be. fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

There are way too many baseless assumptions in this thread.

Sisu, what are you talking about? Lower 48 babies want it their way and no other? Are you saying you don't care if people walk all over your interests? Bullshit.

I didn't make the comment on Alaska's section lines. I just have a problem with motorized vehicles driving all over national parks. It destroys any limited sense of wilderness, like when you hear I-90 as you come down from a climb at Snoqualmie Pass.

All those people who got by on their "Learn HTML in 24 Hours" skills working for pie-in-the-sky Internet companies are understandably unable to get IT jobs. They don't have any real training or even ability.