shutdown

glassgowkiss

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say we put Reid and Boener in a room, and let them go at it. Winner take all on the ACA, budget and the debt ceiling.

My money would be on Reid... Boener's a pussy. Anyone with half an eye could see it...

d

i disagree - boehner's the 2nd of like a bakers goddamn dozen kids and ran the family bar as a wee-un - he probably killed his first man w/ a busted beer bottle at age 9 :)

pelosi could probably take bone-boy, if only b/c, shortly after having killed each other, she rose from the dead w/ the same creeptacular smile plastered to her grill

i'm not sure kerry could have beat powell, let alone rice

biden v cheney would be a texas-steel-cage-death-match and i'd pay premium prices to see that and get drunk as a lord during it

rumsfeld just is the devil, so it's not fair to pair him w/ any humanoid

arne duncan could surely have taken that panty-waste spelling

if the democrats have to pick any man to settle this shit, gladiator-style, i'm going w/ eric holder - if i cursed him in a dream, i'd wake up and apologize :grin:

i think the republican to watch in this scenario is barbara fucking "quayle-monster" bush, assuming she can put nancy reagan in the corner in the primary :P

to clear up some glaring historical misperceptions:

the NSAs secret domestic spying progrsm was started by GW in 2001. his administration justified spying on international comms (ostensibly, we still dont know exactly who or what was spied on due to its secrecy) by citing congresss military authorization fot the use of force, which Bush famously interpreted to mean 'do whatever you feel like doing' to fight the Terror War.

Bushes intl comms spying program was essentially made legal by the passage of the FISA Amendments Act in 2008. Section 702 is used to justify the current practice of monitoring both meta data content, 2 hpos away, of all digital comms that pass through intl fibre optic trunks.

FISA orders to sift thru the metadata of 37M Verizon customers (and mist likely those of every other majir carrier as well is justified under section 215 if the PATRIOT act (2001), another Bush admin idea.

Obamaz NSA has certainly run with this ball, no doubt, but that ballz got Bushs autograph scribbled all over it.

Theres much more to the current security state , of course, but Ill close by thanking a certain stripper lovin American in Moscow, who provided nearly every stitch of data on current NSA snoopiness.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

to clear up some glaring historical misperceptions:

the NSAs secret domestic spying progrsm was started by GW in 2001. his administration justified spying on international comms (ostensibly, we still dont know exactly who or what was spied on due to its secrecy) by citing congresss military authorization fot the use of force, which Bush famously interpreted to mean 'do whatever you feel like doing' to fight the Terror War.

Bushes intl comms spying program was essentially made legal by the passage of the FISA Amendments Act in 2008. Section 702 is used to justify the current practice of monitoring both meta data content, 2 hpos away, of all digital comms that pass through intl fibre optic trunks.

FISA orders to sift thru the metadata of 37M Verizon customers (and mist likely those of every other majir carrier as well is justified under section 215 if the PATRIOT act (2001), another Bush admin idea.

Obamaz NSA has certainly run with this ball, no doubt, but that ballz got Bushs autograph scribbled all over it.

Theres much more to the current security state , of course, but Ill close by thanking a certain stripper lovin American in Moscow, who provided nearly every stitch of data on current NSA snoopiness.

My worry with this NSA shit is not, necessarily, that they're doing it; rather, it's that no one seems to care that they're doing it. At the risk of sounding like a Luddite, I am becoming less enamored with some aspects of technology with each passing year. My impression of FISA was that it was very limited in scope and was focused on authorizing the monitoring of data (or even conversations) where at least one party was overseas. This is not the case now--don't know if it ever was. Feel free to blame Bush for opening the door that Obama has eagerly stepped through.

I recently had a conversation with a family member who proclaimed, "if data mining can save three thousand lives or prevent another terrorist attack then it's worth giving up a little privacy." I don't think so. This "meta-data" will almost inevitably be used for political purposes--if not by Obama, then by the next clown we elect--and this represents a threat to our democracy. Hell, the CIA/NSA/FBI can't even prevent an attack when the Russkies provide names and addresses (the Boston bombers), why should we think our government can make sense out of our digital crumbs? But then again, we probably shouldn't expect too much concern over privacy from Americans who are busy putting their entire lives on FaceBook and texting pictures of their genitals to the latest significant other.

As for the Republicans shutting down part of the government, well, I've already made my opinion pretty clear. Obamacare will be a fucking disaster, but the people spoke twice (once through their representatives, and again in the 2012 election), and it even passed the judicial smell test. If I had a Republican Representative I could write to, I'd tell him to knock this shit off--and get rid of that total moron tool orange nasal-tone crybaby House speaker.

To me it all boils down to Citizens United decision. It opened flood gates to unlimited and unchecked spending by corporations, rich and powerful. It really doesn't seem to matter who is elected, as the same sources pay both sides. This system outlived itself, having several political parties would make it tougher to grease the pockets of unethical bastards. I think it's time to revise the constitution and revise the government itself.

And if there is one ruling to repeal it's Citizens United!

2001 and 2006 Patriot Act roll call. Looks like almost everyone's autograph is on the ballz:

http://educate-yourself.org/cn/patriotact20012006senatevote.shtml

2008 FISA Amendment Act:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/hr6304

Edited by Fairweather

If I had a Republican Representative I could write to,

funny, mine has me on her *blocked* list now i think :)

the nsa stuff is skerry b/c yeah, every politician is pretty much for it, in practice if not in principle - the politics of fear, of being "soft on whatever" continues to be a problem, and i have not the first inkling of how to make it go away.

to some extent though, maybe it's good enough that so many folks are concerned about data-mining and the like - it doesn't sound like the orwellian-nightmare has become a reality yet (thus who think so really should reread 1984), despite all the tools required for it being there, and while some of the shit that has come to light is distressing, it could get a lot worse, no?

Mine, (5th district), no longer responds to my entreaties/inquiries... She remains quite comfortable in her position, without my support.

She wins out here with about 65% of the 20 or so % of registered voters bothering to send a ballot in... What we are seeing in contemporary American politics, in general, is well earned by an indifferent and/or uninformed constituency... What we are also seeing is a class war between corporate America and the working class.

And I still think Ried takes Boener in a fair fight. On this we will disagree my friend

d

I live in the new WA 10th District, and my Congressman is Denny Heck. Seems like an OK guy for a D, although I would have preferred to remain in the 6th where Derek Kilmer took over for Norm Dicks. Heck did respond to my email re Syria and assured me he was "inclined" to vote no--had the vote actually taken place. Hopefully, we'll never know.

the nsa stuff is skerry b/c yeah, every politician is pretty much for it, in practice if not in principle - the politics of fear, of being "soft on whatever" continues to be a problem, and i have not the first inkling of how to make it go away.

to some extent though, maybe it's good enough that so many folks are concerned about data-mining and the like - it doesn't sound like the orwellian-nightmare has become a reality yet (thus who think so really should reread 1984), despite all the tools required for it being there, and while some of the shit that has come to light is distressing, it could get a lot worse, no?

You can't put the genie back in the bottle and it is only a matter of time till the data mining and phone tapping will be used against the lowly citizen for political and/or corporate gain (same/same). Absolute power corrupts absolutely and I don't see that getting better. Time will tell, but, yeah, kiss "freedom" as we have known it goodbye. Not that it matters as the I-phone/Android is just the same as Big Bro in your pocket.

Irony

Fail to do your job, then berate someone for doing theirs, making sure to get it all on camera; not only that, tell this person who is being forced to work an obviously unpleasant assignment WITHOUT PAY that they should be ashamed of themselves? Next, jab your finger into the face of a citizen who has been put out of work by the shutdown and who tries to defend the worker.

What a completely classless disgrace.

Irony

Fail to do your job, then berate someone for doing theirs, making sure to get it all on camera; not only that, tell this person who is being forced to work an obviously unpleasant assignment WITHOUT PAY that they should be ashamed of themselves? Next, jab your finger into the face of a citizen who has been put out of work by the shutdown and who tries to defend the worker.

What a completely classless disgrace.

Texas Republican Congressman Randy Neugebauer ladies and gentlemen...

Saw that vid on NBC nightly news tonight. The stupidity, and arrogance, of these people seem to know no bounds...

d