shutdown

glassgowkiss

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing how the debt itself hasn't hasn't wrecked the US's creditworthy-ness or damaged investors confidence in America or elicted calls to abandon the dollar as the world's reserve currency but the fringe TeaBagger whackjob caucus threats to shut down the government/default on its debts have. Time to clean house, Fairweather.

Oh, I agree. But you won't like the replacements either.

Amazing how the debt itself hasn't hasn't wrecked the US's creditworthy-ness or damaged investors confidence in America or elicted calls to abandon the dollar as the world's reserve currency but the fringe TeaBagger whackjob caucus threats to shut down the government/default on its debts have. Time to clean house, Fairweather.

Oh, I agree. But you won't like the replacements either.

Oh, that's right, the pre-Teabagger Republican Party sucked too! Ask those 'hawks' about the debt...

Or we're you talking about the Libertarians? More of the same "burn-it-down" crowd. As if the aftermath of financial deregulation in itself shouldn't have relegated them to the dustbin already. Would love to hear what they have to say about something like climate change, if they had anything to say at all.

Sorry FW, the Repubs have been a redux of the Know-Nothings since Bush I and unless I'm missing some vibrant new departure from the failed ideas of the past on the horizon, the 'replacements' aren't going to do much governing either.

Would love to hear what they have to say about something like climate change, if they had anything to say at all.

Can we please keep your religious beliefs out of this discussion?

Anyhow, if I recall, your boy Clinton oversaw his fair share of deregulation--particularly of the banking and insurance industries. Pragmatism n' all that, you see. Fact is, most Republicans I know think government's job--beyond the military and delivering mail--is, simply, to regulate. Unfortunately, the tool you elected and his rubber-stamp senate now want to take charge of our lives. We'll see how this thing plays out. Enjoy the show.

Would love to hear what they have to say about something like climate change, if they had anything to say at all.

Anyhow, if I recall, your boy Clinton oversaw his fair share of deregulation--particularly of the banking and insurance industries. Pragmatism n' all that, you see. Fact is, most Republicans I know think government's job--beyond the military and delivering mail--is, simply, to regulate. Unfortunately, the tool you elected and his rubber-stamp senate now want to take charge of our lives. We'll see how this thing plays out. Enjoy the show.

Less to do with pragmatism than the culmination of the economic liberalism pushed by the Right that had been on the rise since Reagan came to power. That by the 90's the Democrats adopted it shows the extent to which those ideas had spread across the entire political spectrum. Unfortunately, despite it's spectacular failures, those ideas are still with us.

The psychic gymnastics required of you to now float a pro-regulatory stance vis a vis the federal government must be exhausting for you, I know trying to figure out what the hell you're talking about here is for me.

As far as the government taking control of our lives, now's a good time to defend your right to 72oz. purple dranks and the War on Sodium. In other words, big f'ing deal...

For the most part, I have no idea what you're babbling on about, and neither, I suspect, do you. Stop the presses, capitalism is cyclic. We could always go back to the 74% top marginal tax rates of the late 1970s--and the stagnation you seem to recall fondly. You remember the 70s, don't you? Great times. Particularly for the inner city. I'm not saying that I'm whole hog on board the neolib ship of state, but maybe if you and your fellow tools would stop trying to dredge up Bryan or Debs at every downturn this political pendulum we're riding wouldn't keep swinging in such a wide arc. I know you're fond of the communitarian/cosmopolitan model, but I think you'll find Mr. Habermas (and Mr. Appiah) are just as fucked up as the long lineage of continental philosophers they follow. What's good for Europe ain't necessarily good for us.

BTW: yes, I love Orwell. Nuanced. Hard to pigeonhole. Not at all like the latest crop. Or you.

Less to do with pragmatism than the culmination of the economic liberalism pushed by the Right that had been on the rise since Reagan came to power. That by the 90's the Democrats adopted it shows the extent to which those ideas had spread across the entire political spectrum. Unfortunately, despite it's spectacular failures, those ideas are still with us.

The psychic gymnastics required of you to now float a pro-regulatory stance vis a vis the federal government must be exhausting for you, I know trying to figure out what the hell you're talking about here is for me.

As far as the government taking control of our lives, now's a good time to defend your right to 72oz. purple dranks and the War on Sodium. In other words, big f'ing deal...

Dear god - it sounds like 2008 in here!

Thoughts:

1)Holy christ did I ever have a lot of free time and energy when I was serving my three year sentence in Mass.

2)5 years of this administration doesn't seem to have brightened your mood or outlook much, comrade. What gives?!

Forgive me for thinking someone so grounded in a particular political belief would have at least a basic grasp of its historical and philosophical underpinnings.

History? That sounds dangerously close to allowing the actions of others to influence your convictions. How adolescent.

Tiger's open all year round, no?

I thought it was closed to bikes part of the year. Rob/FW - Let me guys know if you are down for a november ride there...

You're right. Didn't know that.

That's my illegal camping/campfire season anyway, so it follows.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Tiger's open all year round, no?

I thought it was closed to bikes part of the year. Rob/FW - Let me guys know if you are down for a november ride there...

It's usually closed to bikes by now, but they've extended it because of the dry weather. We rode east tiger last weekend, but even then, we were on borrowed time. Not sure where you guys live nowadays; I'm still in the Tacoma area. Tiger TH is 36 miles/50 min from my driveway. Duthie is ok too if it's close for you guys, but I'm more interested a hill climb than a playground.

Come to think of it, isn't Smith Rocks kind of like Duthie? A "built" environment? I mean, in a way? Ya know? I wonder if they allow campfires and tobacco?

Pure frontier gibberish. Whatever.

No problem, Proletariat. Forgive me for thinking someone so grounded in a particular political belief would have at least a basic grasp of its historical and philosophical underpinnings. I'll go ahead and put you in the "boutique" column for now. :brew:

Dartboard-style namedropping and vague allusions to capitalism and pendulums doesn't constitute a basic grasp of anything, much less the specifics of how neoliberal dogma came to dominate the the American political class's economic thinking during and after the Reagan Administration. It does do a good job of making you look like a smartypants/douche, though.

• 4 weeks later...
Duthie is ok too if it's close for you guys, but I'm more interested a hill climb than a playground.

Come to think of it, isn't Smith Rocks kind of like Duthie? A "built" environment? I mean, in a way? Ya know? I wonder if they allow campfires and tobacco?

Playground - you can brake bones in. I would recommend full face helmet and a neck brace, since your health insurance policy is only catastrophic. However it is a great place for honing your skills, the same way as Smiff is great for getting stronger. If you want to ride some good bike trails you should make a track to Bellingham. In the summer check some trails in Squamish- a great way to fill up your day- climb in the morning and ride pm.