shutdown

glassgowkiss

If the Republicans do have one good gripe it's that Obama has given a one-year delay to big business and not to individuals. If the law is the law, I'm not sure how Obama is allowed to do this. In any event, the Rs are too dumb to just step out of the way and let this train-wreck of a law play out. Wait until the uninsured have to pay that IRS fine. Wait until the insured see their benefits start to evaporate. Wait until unions pull their support (already happening)...

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the deferment to big businesses seems exactly the sorta shit repubicans oughta be happy w/ - the whole law along its conception was a sloppy blow-job to these folks, so who can be surprised now?

what the rank and file democrat wanted in a healthcare reform is hell and gone from the actual law today - it's bitterly depressing that the replicants can't be pleased w/ this bastard-child they spawned then disowned...

Not surprising that those on the left will grant a pass to their leader's autocratic behavior with obfuscation and a straight face. Then again, this is the same president who was ready to start lobbing cruise missiles on Syria even as he ignored congress--and the law. In the end, he read the writing on the wall--and for this he gets props. If only the Rs would get their heads straight too. Still, you've gotta admit Obama's got some "issues" with the rules. Republicans? Shit, I suspect he holds near-equal contempt for Congressional Democrats.

Edited by Fairweather

If the Republicans do have one good gripe it's that Obama has given a one-year delay to big business and not to individuals. If the law is the law, I'm not sure how Obama is allowed to do this. In any event, the Rs are too dumb to just step out of the way and let this train-wreck of a law play out. Wait until the uninsured have to pay that IRS fine. Wait until the insured see their benefits start to evaporate. Wait until unions pull their support (already happening)...

I damn near agree with this. I'm not entirely clear on the reason why the employer mandate got a delay, but it sure plays poorly. As to the train wreck, I agree too. If the law is in fact a disaster, than it will need to be amended or repealed. If in fact the American people like it, as we are told they may, than perhaps it is not a disaster worthy of shutting down the government.

I damn near agree with this. I'm not entirely clear on the reason why the employer mandate got a delay, but it sure plays poorly. As to the train wreck, I agree too. If the law is in fact a disaster, than it will need to be amended or repealed. If in fact the American people like it, as we are told they may, than perhaps it is not a disaster worthy of shutting down the government.

Shutting down the govt over this is the epitome of arrogance. If ACA works, then the Dems and Obama get all of the credit. But if it doesn't, then I can't see how any of these Ds deserve to stay in office. If this crop of Republicans is the only alternative, well, that's scary too.

If Rs are so convinced the ACA will crash and burn they should let it do so. They will then reap the benefits at the polls two years hence. If it succeeds they can take credit for it and not be on the wrong side of history. Now it looks like they've painted themselves into a corner with few options, much like Obama did by drawing a line in the sand over the use of chemical weapons in Syria, but that's another story...

Not surprising that those on the left will grant a pass to their leader's autocratic behavior with obfuscation and a straight face.

i dunno, i seem to recall obama all but dry-humping republican legs to get the ACA passed to begin w/, compromising like a mother-fucker and pissing off his base somethign fierce, and was making decent progress too until the tea party revolution made it so not a single elephant in the congress could politically afford to be in the same room as him

Not surprising that those on the left will grant a pass to their leader's autocratic behavior with obfuscation and a straight face. Then again, this is the same president who was ready to start lobbing cruise missiles on Syria even as he ignored congress--and the law. In the end, he read the writing on the wall--and for this he gets props. If only the Rs would get their heads straight too. Still, you've gotta admit Obama's got some "issues" with the rules. Republicans? Shit, I suspect he holds near-equal contempt for Congressional Democrats.

:lmao:

So does this mean we don't need a forest pass to park at a TH? Can I sneak into the Enchantments fear-free? I hope wondering this doesn't make me a bad person. Well, actually I don't care.

Not to worry, I hear the LMA has stationed its militia members throughout the Icicle to ensure that the area remains open to locals and stays as beautiful and free as ever as this crisis plays itself out. ;)

If Rs are so convinced the ACA will crash and burn they should let it do so. They will then reap the benefits at the polls two years hence. If it succeeds they can take credit for it and not be on the wrong side of history. Now it looks like they've painted themselves into a corner with few options, much like Obama did by drawing a line in the sand over the use of chemical weapons in Syria, but that's another story...

Yeah, right, like that's human nature. Why didn't the Dems follow this advice - "Hey, let's let Bush whatever the fuck he wants and when the country turns to shit we reap the benefits"....

actually, that sounds a lot like what they did! :)

war in afghanistan? check. iraq? sure why not? patriot act? kewl. leave no child's behind? right. TARP? okay.

bottom line is, o-care has plenty of the sloppy bj's they were demanding. no single payer and an demand that everybody have to buy, funneling most of the cash into private companies. they just had to cut and run in the end b/c....

Shutting down the govt over this is the epitome of arrogance. If ACA works, then the Dems and Obama get all of the credit. But if it doesn't, then I can't see how any of these Ds deserve to stay in office. If this crop of Republicans is the only alternative, well, that's scary too.

Dude, did you get back on your meds? For once you started making sense. BTW, the best thing for Republican party is to separate from Tea Party. Tea Party is an ultimate collection of free loading hypocrites. Please make it on YOUR OWN! Start your own party, have your own candidates. Yes, Tea Party deserves representation (as insane as they are), but for crying out loud: walk the walk and do it on your own.

Yeah, right, like that's human nature. Why didn't the Dems follow this advice - "Hey, let's let Bush whatever the fuck he wants and when the country turns to shit we reap the benefits"....

Actually that exactly what happened. End result- stock market collapse, banking collapse and patriot act allowing phone and internet surveillance on US citizens.

war in afghanistan? check. iraq? sure why not? patriot act? kewl. leave no child's behind? right. TARP? okay.

Even GW never had the audacity to think he could bypass Congress to start a war--or to spy on US citizens' internal communications.

Also, Ivan, I think your memory is failing you regarding No Child Left Behind. I recall a collaboration between Ted Kennedy and GW led to its overwhelming passage.

Edited by Fairweather

Even GW never had the audacity to think he could bypass Congress to start a war--or to spy on US citizens' internal communications.

Also, Ivan, I think your memory is failing you regarding No Child Left Behind. I recall a collaboration between Ted Kennedy and GW led to its overwhelming passage.

Oh there was endless fighting tooth and nail from you Ivan and all the rest on the left. Nobody that cares stands around and says "yeah, fuck shit up... you'll pay later".

Nice try though.

And for the record, I think the shutdown is a stupid idea.

glassgowdick: I don't read your lunatic ravings. You are on ignore.

In fact, every single action you mention above had legislative approval and was voted on in Congress. You can accuse Bush of practicing populism, opportunism, or even lying to game the system. But Obama often acts like he is "above" the system--especially with regard to Syria and the NSA scandal.

"Hey we didn't have enough votes to get this law defeated in either congress when it was originally proposed, and we didn't have enough votes to get it repealed, and it lost a legal challenge in the supreme court -- so instead lets try to get it defunded, I'm sure we'll get the votes that way."

:rolleyes:

This one is more chilling:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLodCejCoYE

:laf: Everything is not always about Obama, you know. You could show me a picture of him raping a kitten and it wouldn't change the fact that the House Republicans are basically acting like small retarded children in regards to our Federal budget.

I don't blame you for trying to change the subject, tho

In fact, every single action you mention above had legislative approval and was voted on in Congress. You can accuse Bush of practicing populism, opportunism, or even lying to game the system. But Obama often acts like he is "above" the system--especially with regard to Syria and the NSA scandal.

that was my point - despite democratic oppostion, the congress still showed up for work under bush and no democrat tried to stop funding for the whole government just to get at the iraq war, for example - i do agree though that they used other mechanisms to gum up the system, i.e. preventing votes to confirm presidential appointees, and that shit, like the filibuster itself, needs to be moved into the scrap heap

the problem w/ the nsa and national security in general seems to me to be more that no one, even the president, seems to be controlling it - christ, what president of late, red or blue, hasn't used war powers w/o congressional approval? i did, in fact, write a strongly worded email to obama a few weeks back asking him to consult the congress before attacking syria, as obviously a helluva lot of other libturds too.