shutdown

glassgowkiss

Irony

Fail to do your job, then berate someone for doing theirs, making sure to get it all on camera; not only that, tell this person who is being forced to work an obviously unpleasant assignment WITHOUT PAY that they should be ashamed of themselves? Next, jab your finger into the face of a citizen who has been put out of work by the shutdown and who tries to defend the worker.

What a completely classless disgrace.

Texas Republican Congressman Randy Neugebauer ladies and gentlemen...

Saw that vid on NBC nightly news tonight. The stupidity, and arrogance, of these people seem to know no bounds...

d

There are only two things in texas- steers and queers. Since we don't see the horns on him, it kind of narrows it down....doesn't it?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irony

Fail to do your job, then berate someone for doing theirs, making sure to get it all on camera; not only that, tell this person who is being forced to work an obviously unpleasant assignment WITHOUT PAY that they should be ashamed of themselves? Next, jab your finger into the face of a citizen who has been put out of work by the shutdown and who tries to defend the worker.

Texas Republican Congressman Randy Neugebauer ladies and gentlemen...

Saw that vid on NBC nightly news tonight. The stupidity, and arrogance, of these people seem to know no bounds...

d

:tup:

the deferment to big businesses seems exactly the sorta shit repubicans oughta be happy w/ - the whole law along its conception was a sloppy blow-job to these folks, so who can be surprised now?

what the rank and file democrat wanted in a healthcare reform is hell and gone from the actual law today - it's bitterly depressing that the replicants can't be pleased w/ this bastard-child they spawned then disowned...

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." - H. L. Mencken

http://m.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/10/here-is-the-short-gop-quote-that-perfectly-defines-the-shutdown/280220/

We're not going to be disrespected. We have to get something out of this. And I don't know what that even is.

I've been advised to say we're not going to be disrespected. But they said we're going to get something out of this. I just don't know what that is yet. :rolleyes:

the deferment to big businesses seems exactly the sorta shit repubicans oughta be happy w/ - the whole law along its conception was a sloppy blow-job to these folks, so who can be surprised now?

what the rank and file democrat wanted in a healthcare reform is hell and gone from the actual law today - it's bitterly depressing that the replicants can't be pleased w/ this bastard-child they spawned then disowned...

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." - H. L. Mencken

DAMN, U GUYS ARE FREEDUMB HATERS.

many of the republicans I know think the shutdown isnt a big deal at all and that Obama is making it look worse than it is for theatrical effect. They also think that the shutdown is Obama's fault for refusing to negotiate. what a weird world they live in

many of the republicans I know think the shutdown isnt a big deal at all and that Obama is making it look worse than it is for theatrical effect. They also think that the shutdown is Obama's fault for refusing to negotiate. what a weird world they live in

I noticed that Fox News quickly proclaimed it wasn't a "shutdown", but rather, a "Slimdown", and continues referring to it as such. The clever implication is that putting 800,000 lazy, overpaid civilian employees out of work is a positive step towards "fiscal responsibility", although of course, it could easily go further with government being so large.

i've been working on this idea for a master's thesis in poli-sci, essentially that you can take the pulse of the american conservative population by counting the # of titties that appear in the daily "features and faces" panel of fox's website - there's usually 12-14 panels, and the typical day sees an average of 3.2 panels sporting hawties - this past tuesday at one point it was the highest number i've yet recorded, 10 :)

when primates get all excited, how they do like to pound the pud :grin:

i've been working on this idea for a master's thesis in poli-sci, essentially that you can take the pulse of the american conservative population by counting the # of titties that appear in the daily "features and faces" panel of fox's website - there's usually 12-14 panels, and the typical day sees an average of 3.2 panels sporting hawties - this past tuesday at one point it was the highest number i've yet recorded, 10 :)

when primates get all excited, how they do like to pound the pud :grin:

fun fact: republicans find this photo extremely erotic

George-Bush-19480.jpg

Irony

I agree with everything you say here, but I think it's important to understand both sides. I suspect that most (not all) of the feelings you describe are the same emotions many private-sector employees and business owners feel when something like Obamacare is imposed on them. There are, in fact, a lot of private sector wage-earners who have or will lose benefits, hours, or even their livelihoods over this legislation. Food for thought.

No intent to disrespect you here. In fact, the work you do is exactly the reason I pay my taxes. I hope this nonsense is over with soon.

The Republicans are probably finished as a party, IMO. And they have been since Romney lost. Despite the abomination that Obamacare will almost certainly turn out to be, it passed Congress by a single vote, was signed by a president who was subsequently reelected, was upheld by the Supreme Court (Roberts, no less!), and is now the law. If the R's were smart--and they're not--they would have passed on this fight and defunded the government in two weeks when the borrowing limit is once again reached. Now that's a legitimate issue.

Bring on the Libertarians; the R's are in the ICU.

Who are these Republicans of which you speak?

All of them

isn't tea the beverage of choice for euro-fag-liberal-surrender monkeys? i'd think good red-blooded freedom-defenders would prefer to be the "coffee party" - or would that be wierd, since not one coffee-colored person would actually be in the party? :)

The-Tea-Party-Movement.jpg

and sure, i know what you're thinking - there's ONE dark face in that crowd! but if you look more carefully, you can clearly see she's lost :)

isn't this why the founders choose to make us a republic instead? :grin:

Indeed.

"Well, what have we got doctor, a monarchy or a republic?"

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it."

At least that's the apocryphal tale about what Franklin said to a passerby after emerging from the Constitutional Congress.

Whenever I think of that quote, I'm usually reminded of this one:

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. -Thomas Jefferson.

I think that the public discovered that it could vote itself money sometime between 1862 and 1913 and the republic seems to have held up pretty well since then, so right-wing hatemongers like myself should probably bear that in mind before playing chicken little over the ACA (nevermind Wickard vs Filburn, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc) - but I think for the first time I've started to feel like I should give "The Anti-Federalist Papers" a look and see if they anticipated any of the more grotesque abuses of Federal power that have been the bathwater we've had to tolerate in exchange for the Constitutional baby....like paramilitary law enforcement kicking in doors and shotgunning black-labs for the sake of confiscating some stale bong-resin, a gajillion dollars worth of subsidies being snarfed down by the corn-ethanol lobby, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Irony

I agree with everything you say here, but I think it's important to understand both sides. I suspect that most (not all) of the feelings you describe are the same emotions many private-sector employees and business owners feel when something like Obamacare is imposed on them. There are, in fact, a lot of private sector wage-earners who have or will lose benefits, hours, or even their livelihoods over this legislation. Food for thought.

No intent to disrespect you here. In fact, the work you do is exactly the reason I pay my taxes. I hope this nonsense is over with soon.

Thanks.

Just to be clear, my post was speaking only to that particular moment and situation and wasn't intended to be a commentary on my personal feelings about the ACA. Having been on the receiving end of misdirected anger, it struck a personal note for me. Even setting that aside, this Randy Neugebauer is the one who should be ashamed.

I do indeed recognize that the ACA is going to benefit some, while it hurts others. Lawmakers should have been, and should in the future, be focused on efforts to improve it. Strong-arm leveraging and threats which result in what we have now- direct and deliberate harm to ordinary citizens and businesses, as well as damage to the general health of our economy, is the wrong tactic and the wrong venue for this... on which I believe we agree.

Indeed.

At least that's the apocryphal tale about what Franklin said to a passerby after emerging from the Constitutional Congress.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. -Thomas Jefferson.

I think that the public discovered that it could vote itself money sometime between 1862 and 1913 and the republic seems to have held up pretty well since then, so right-wing hatemongers like myself should probably bear that in mind before playing chicken little over the ACA (nevermind Wickard vs Filburn, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc) - but I think for the first time I've started to feel like I should give "The Anti-Federalist Papers" a look and see if they anticipated any of the more grotesque abuses of Federal power that have been the bathwater we've had to tolerate in exchange for the Constitutional baby....like paramilitary law enforcement kicking in doors and shotgunning black-labs for the sake of confiscating some stale bong-resin, a gajillion dollars worth of subsidies being snarfed down by the corn-ethanol lobby, etc, etc, etc, etc.

That's one of the best thoughts I've heard, and I'm due for my first complete read of the Anti-Federalsit as well. Not sure that a guy who couldn't be bothered to even show up for the convention should be looked to for answers 225 years later, but he is a paradox that I come to appreciate more and more with each passing year.

Just a trivia question that I don't know the answer to: The Supreme Court has actually cited The Federalist more than 200 times in its rulings; has it has ever reached into the Anti for guidance?

Indeed.

That's one of the best thoughts I've heard, and I'm due for my first complete read of the Anti-Federalsit as well. Not sure that a guy who couldn't be bothered to even show up for the convention should be looked to for answers 225 years later, but he is a paradox that I come to appreciate more and more with each passing year.

Just a trivia question that I don't know the answer to: The Supreme Court has actually cited The Federalist more than 200 times in its rulings; has it has ever reached into the Anti for guidance?

time to dissolve the union.

Indeed.

What is this, enlightented despotism meets the Minutemen? Funny how the 'crisis of democracy' is portrayed here as the citizenry run amok (mob rule)/Federal abuse of power when the real 800-pound gorilla is campaign finance and the stacking of government posts with corporate toadies. Both of which are just as bad if not worse in many local governments.

What is this, enlightented despotism meets the Minutemen? Funny how the 'crisis of democracy' is portrayed here as the citizenry run amok (mob rule)/Federal abuse of power when the real 800-pound gorilla is campaign finance and the stacking of government posts with corporate toadies. Both of which are just as bad if not worse in many local governments.

I don't know any righties who would disagree with you--particularly your last sentence. Welcome to the dark side.