All around harness

mzvarner

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Steve House is a fan of the Metolius Safe-Tech, and it's hard to argue against him.

But everything is a compromise, so it might be best to specialize a bit.

Although I have a great all-around harness by Petzl (no longer made) I find that for Alpine I always end up taking my BD alpine Bod. The light weight and easy/on off dropseat design just wins. I don't have to sit down or balance awkwardly to insert my boot-clad feet like I would with the Petzl; it's just thread, double back, clip and go. Ask yourself how often you hang while doing the type of Alpine climbing you do, and for how long.

So one harness for sport which is padded and comfy, and a $30 alpine bod for the snow, that's my rec. You can permanently attach your ice clippers with tape like many people do, or use a sling like Dane and some others recommend.

just my 2 cents.

So one harness for sport which is padded and comfy, and a $30 alpine bod for the snow, that's my rec.

+1 Agree with Friedrich - you're gonna need at least two harnesses.

And another vote for the BD Alpine Bod for lightweight packability, no-muss/no-fuss leg entry, and for the all-important dropping of trou for those "environmental moments" that we all must endure en route...

I also have an older version of the padded style of the Bod for sport/trad climbing. Has four gear loops, and all the same benefits of the Alpine Bod, but with the tre chic Synchilla padded waistband. :)

The newer version of this harness now has a belay loop, whereas the older version worked just like the Alpine Bod (i.e., no belay loop). With the (new) belay loop, this harness will not allow you to drop trou without undoing the waist buckle.

Bod

For alpine sort of stuff i'd skip the Alpine Bod and go for BD Couloir. Same function, just as uncomfortable to hang in but lighter weight and more compactable :tup:

I have an older version of the Alpine Bod that doesn't have all of the plastic buckle thingies. It's pretty damn light and compactable, but I guess it's not made that way anymore. So after taking a look at BD's website, I'm going with 'kirk on this one...

Alpine Bod

14 oz, 4 gear loops, no hook-ups for Ice Clipperz, $38

Couloir

8 oz, 2 gear loops, 4 Ice Clipperz attachment points, $50

There ya go, the choice is yours, but it looks like the Couloir fits your stated criteria...

If alpine and long trad means lots of semi hanging belays and not just walking up hill then the arcteryx harnesses are hard to beat. They aren't cheap (though old models have been showing up on steepandcheap etc) but do the best job of meeting the criteria you set out and are worth it if you spend enough time hanging in them.

I have BD Alpine Bod, old style. I was going to upgrade to a Couloir last summer; hung on one in the store and decided to keep my alpine bod. Couloir is lighter and much more compact, but I would not want to spend anytime hanging in one, pretty uncomfortable not to mention loss of circulation etc..

For sport - get a padded harness.

I use a Petzl Hirundos year around as well as a gear sling if required. I simply copied a few others I know who found the Hirundos before me. You can't miss the colors. And yes the Hirundos two clipper slots.

As a really simple harness...not my thing though..I like the Blue Ice Choucas harness. Likely the easiest in and out with skis or over crampons.

I have the couloir-hard to beat the size/weight/etc for glacier and alpine or whatnut. but in hanging in it just a few minutes doing some CR practice/pulling on the rope, did myself some nitfy chaff/bruising, way easier than I would have expected. So, heed the 'hang in it' aspect if you're going to be using it that much. For instance I don't even consider it as a 2nd harness for me or a friend for indoor TR'ing.

I've been pretty happy with my Petzl Adjama as an all around harness, reasonable balance of weight and features and comfort. I found the Arcteryx options not terribly comfortable to hang in. I'd go with the Sama next time as I never use the adjustable leg loops either. I do like the plastic gear loops that have since been discontinued.

For an alpine harness I use a CAMP XLH 95, basically when I don't expect much technical climbing or need to rack much gear. But you didn't ask about light alpine harnesses. ;-)

camp air cr or the red arctyrx. I like the CR b/c it has adjustable leg loop for us skinny guys with big thighs. haul loops on both are a joke, so just tie a piece of webbing in the back.

my other harness for long routes with light approaches or for offwidths is the metolius safe tech.

Edited by layton

I have a Petzl Adjama. I guess what I like best about it is that I don't think about it. It just works well and seems to stay out of the way. It has slots into wich I slipped BD Fin carabiners to rack ice screws. It is also pretty adjustable so I can wear it rock climbing in a t shirt and shorts or over layers for winter alpine and ice climbing.