Dr_Flash_Amazing

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

qb]

Off, how many albums would you estimate that you own, out of music-geek curiosity?[/QB]

Oh, I'm a total music geek, but I've never counted. Boxes and piles all over the place: cd's, vinyl, and tapes. Not to mention the 4000 mp3's on the hard drive. I'm also a slob, so things are not organized by genre, era, or personal association. I'm not as far gone as the John Cusack character in High Fidelity, but that movie did make a few friends smirk at me knowingly (hey, I've been raving about Stiff Little Fingers for ages, that doesn't mean anything).

Right now I'm listening to Pavement. Haha.

Before that I was listening to that shitty Paul Allen station, KEXP, fucking whores. HAHA.

Before that I was listening to Sheila Chandra. Haha.

And then before that it was Gillian Welch.

And then before that I was enjoying Buckethead.

I was kinda enjoying Megadeth in there somewhere, but it was some lame late '90's cd.

The Heavies: a partial listen was given and it was kinda neat. Kinda monosyllabic though, bad legs, heavy on the stem, no flower.

I don't know if I would travel without Leonard Cohen. I think Leonard is the quintessential traveller himself, breaking on every shore, but never getting wet. What's up with that? He'll die, leaving ashes on the ground, which will then be used to build apartment buildings in New York City, and everyone living there will suffer from ironic melancholy and bad posture. Geez, how do people listen to this fellow?

And now Gillian Welch is singing again, and that's all I have to say.

Hey, happy listening to everyone as you listen to your favorite music, ok? Don't forget to do a little dance, too, ok?

O.A.R. - anything (their coming soon ya know)

Dirty Vegas

Foo Fighters

Modest Mouse "The Lonesome Crowded West"

Godsmack

Linkin Park "Re Animation"

Incubus "Make Yourself"

Rage ATM

Black Uhuru

Vivaldi - assorted concertos

Ottmar Liebert - assorted

Rob Zombie

Revolting Cocks

Ministry (The Mind is a terrible thing to Taste"

What's the best 'musical scene' in your head? Every trip, climb, etc. has a set of associated music that was going on, over & over in yr head...some of my best musical memories are because the trip was great, but sometimes the 'background music' made the trip great.

My favorite: VW beetle, smoke inside...Neil Young's Like a Hurricane comes on the radio... Then me & my bud surf a head-high break all alone for a good 2 hours before anyone else discovers the waves.

quote:

One person did mention Outkast. I must have listened to Aquemini 78 times on my last roadtrip. There's a cut on that thing that actually has made me cry.

Aquemini is my fave! The lyrics on much of the songs are incredible. Which one made you cry? Liberation? [Wink] That's my favorite song on that one... it's SpoodaeOoodaeDoublicious [big Grin]

Goodie Mob's good too, and of course, IT AIN'T NO FUN IF THE HOMIES CAN'T GET NONE... [big Grin] rather degrading but I still loovvee it [big Drink][big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

quote:

Originally posted by Crackbolter:

How about Bill Frizell?

DFA was introduced to Bill Frisell while previewing (prelistening?) hi-fi equipment, and liked him OK, so the Doc picked up 'Gone, Just Like A Train'. Not bad, a pretty eclectic collection, but DFA liked the more dissonant sounds, and less of the rest of the disc. At seventeen bucks a pop, the man's CDs aren't cheap. Any recommendations for other material? Rumor has it the Bill Frisell/Elvin Jones disc is a winner.
The Frisell/Ginger Baker disc is pretty good when they go elevctric. The acoustic tracks are [sleep]

quote:

Originally posted by RobBob:

What's the best 'musical scene' in your head? Every trip, climb, etc. has a set of associated music that was going on, over & over in yr head...some of my best musical memories are because the trip was great, but sometimes the 'background music' made the trip great.

My favorite: VW beetle, smoke inside...Neil Young's Like a Hurricane comes on the radio... Then me & my bud surf a head-high break all alone for a good 2 hours before anyone else discovers the waves.

Probably too numerous to count. Seems like there's always Hot Water Music involved, though. Powerful shit; you sort of automatically reach for it sometimes; it's just good, intense, honest music that grabs you by the fucking shirt and screams "ARE YOU LIVING FULLY, MOTHERFUCKER? SEE THAT YOU ARE!".

Heading home from Smith after finally redpointing that project or a good day just knocking off pitches, gorgeous sunset over the Cascades, a plate of asada tacos from Martina's balanced on your lap, lovely lady at your side, and damn, some HWM knockin' your eardrums. Wouldn't miss it.

Bodeco - Bone,Hair and Hide

JSBX - Now I Got Worry

TFUL 282 - Strangers From the Universe

Sebadoh - Bubble and Scrape

Zappa - some compilation tape

Gories - Meet the Gories

Milton Brown and his Musical Brownies - Dance-o-rama

Sonic Youth - varies

Neil Young - Tonight's the Night