Mt. Rainier/likely Liberty Ridge Rescue

Dan_Miller

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember it being a bit higher, closer to 14K. Regardless, not a good place to be stranded. Based on some observations today, it sounds like they are transitioning over to a recovery operation.

Condolences to the friends and family.

I feel for everyone involved. The wind yesterday at my house was absolutely whipping.

In good weather it is actually really fast and quick to get to the Schrund on Liberty Ridge from above and doesn't prove to be crazy terrain. Sadly as we all know, when the big hill turns ugly, any route can kill.

I hope he is ok and that he didn't slide down the Thermogenesis sector of Willis Wall.

Here's the take from this morning's NPS Daily Report:

Mount Rainier National Park (WA)

Climber Perishes During Liberty Ridge Ascent

A party of three climbers departed White River on June 10th for a summit attempt via the challenging Liberty Ridge route. During the climb, one member of the party, Rob Planker, 50, of Olympia, Washington, became severely hypothermic and possibly frostbitten. On June 13th, his partners were unable to get him walking from their camp at 13,600 feet, so left him to seek assistance. They contacted a ranger on Emmons Glacier at 5 p.m. that evening. Two teams of climbing rangers headed to his location, one team from Camp Schurman and the other from Camp Muir. One of the teams had to turn back at 12,100 feet due to winds blowing at 55 mph. Members of the second team spent the night in a snow cave and resumed their efforts to reach Planker at 5 a.m. the next morning. They found some of his gear at the point where his partners left him, but were unable to find Planker. Air searchers found a 2,000-foot-long slide track leading down a 50 degree ice- and snow-covered slope over some of the steepest and most inhospitable terrain on the mountain. The track indicated intermittent airborne periods and ended at an icefall below Liberty Wall. No signs of Planker were found during a thorough visual search of the slide area. A Chinook helicopter from Joint Base Lewis-McChord and an MD 530 from Northwest Helicopters assisted in the search, which was called off at 4 p.m. due to high winds. Limited visual searching from the ground will continue. The operation is now considered a body recovery, as the risk-to-benefit ratio is not conducive to extensive searching. Liberty Ridge is one of the most technical climbs on Mount Rainier. Members of the climbing party are experienced climbers and were well equipped for the climb. IC on this incident was Brian Hasebe. [submitted by Patti Wold, Park Information Officer]

Don't know. . . Couldn't they could have attempted to carry/drag him down? I realize the terrain is technical, but, . . they went off to find help.. . Maybe just not possible. . Sad.

Two cold, dehydrated, hungry, exhausted and, by that time, frightened climbers dragging 200+ lbs of non responsive climbing partner off Lib Ridge at 13,500 in 50 mph winds? :rolleyes:

How's about we wait to second guess until at least a couple of facts about this come out?

Yeah...it's been a pretty grim year so far.

Be careful out there.

Yeah, I'm not criticizing, believe it or not, just wondering. Sorry if it came out that way.

This is always the topic that comes up, ie, why didn't they carry said climber down from 24,000ft. on Everest, etc. Conditions usually dictate what's possible, I guess.

Sounds like they were experienced as well.

Yeah, I'm happy to delete the above post, if possible. Wasn't trying to second guess the actions of those involved, esp. since they are no doubt more experienced than myself.

I usually am disappointed to see the critics begin braying aloud so soon after something like this happens. . .

So, again, I'm happy to delete that post, if I could.

Ah, took care of it myself.

Apologies to all.

Edited by dhrmabum

Second guessing is an educational process that all of us go through. I had the same thought (just didn't voice it on a public forum). I think probably most climbers would have that same thought. Again, thoughts go out to the climbers and the missing party.

d

Out of respect for the two guys who just lost their friend let's not speculate on what they could have done since we know nothing about what transpired.

What he said.

In addition:

I hope I never have to be faced with such a decision.

I will not second guess, criticize, or join in speculation about the men/women who were faced with it.

d

"it is always better to avenge dear ones

than to indulge in mourning

for every one of us living in this world

means waiting for our end

let he who can achieve glory before death

when a warrior is gone that will be

his best and only bulwark"

Thanks Ivan, I like that one, one more if you please.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again; for there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he falls, at least he falls while daring greatly. So that his place will never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat" TR

d

Thanks Ivan, I like that one, one more if you please.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again; for there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he falls, at least he falls while daring greatly. So that his place will never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat" TR

d

:tup: Or as the Russians would say:

"za odnogo bitogo, dvukh nebitykh dayut"

За одного битого, двух небитых дают