Rock Shoe Naming Contest

Climb X

If anyone on here is a lawyer, they can back me up in saying that that is pretty much the extent of this injunction.

Really?!?!?!

Judges only grant preliminary injunctions when the Plaintiff can prove the "likelihood that it will succeed on the merits of the action".

So how is it exactly that

Frankly, we were happy to see him go and we continued with our own designs and production.

and

We are not a "continuation" of the other company

when you posted this:

"The same award-winning products."

That BTW (as others here have observed) look IDENTICAL to Mad Rock's line and as Trogdor pointed out in the case of the very shoe you are "renaming" was named under a Mad Rock naming contest????

Then there's the "Galaxy" harness as has been pointed out here.

We love being from the Pacific Northwest and are excited to be a part of the climbing community here for a long time. Especially once all of this petty drama is behind us.

Hopefully you'll have a LOT more time to climb, pretty sure this "community" will be watching.......

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd also point out, as it has not been mentioned here, that a FEDERAL JUDGE ordered you to stop "[r]epresenting in any manner or by any method whatsoever that goods provided by any of the Defendants meet CE Certification, when they do not do so."

Care to address that? I.E. why you have apparently been selling life saving products to this "community" you claim to love so dearly as if they are CE certified when they apparently ARE NOT???????

Seems like no small point to me.

Coldfinger,

I appreciate that you are concerned about safety and let me assure you that we share that concern, it is our top priority. Here is a picture of one of our many brake test machines that we use. We have been producing harnesses at this factory going on 8 years without problems. You are correct that the injunction says we cannot use the CE Numbers of other companies. It does not say that we are using their numbers, it just sets a precident that we cannot use the numbers of other companies. We have our own CE filings and the only thing that has changed on our tried and tested designs is the name. It's the same materials, production machines, and facility.

As for the whole Rad Moc name, that is the purpose of this whole naming contest, which we brought to you the climbing community to be fun.

Brake_Test_Machine.jpg

Edited by Climb X

Shapp,

Wow Shapp, that was quite a mouthful. I like how you felt it prudent to censor "cluster-fudge." No, this is not Joe, this is Alex. I do hope life is more than a commerical. Maybe I am wrong. What are you advertising Shapp? Not even sure what that means. I always like your off the path TRs, I would love to float the Owyhee. Anyways, I hope you are doing well.

Thanks

Edited by Climb X

Why don't you logically explain the Madrock, X Rock, Pagan Gear cluster fuck/fudge (which ever you prefer) to us in simple easy to understand terms so knuckle dragers like myself may gain some respect for this new brand and actually send you some money. Everyone should check out cold fingers links. Something seams quite off in this whole deal.

You don't know what it means?, like you didn't start this thread to attract attention to this new brand to get people to buy your shoes?

Shapp,

Wow Shapp, that was quite a mouthful. I like how you felt it prudent to censor "cluster-fudge." No, this is not Joe, this is Alex. I do hope life is more than a commerical. Maybe I am wrong. What are you advertising Shapp? Not even sure what that means. I always like your off the path TRs, I would love to float the Owyhee. Anyways, I hope you are doing well.

Thanks

Edited by shapp

Thanks again to everybody participating. We have come up with a name that was suggested on another site. We posted this 'contest' on this site because we generally enjoy the threads here and the NW Climbing Community is the group we identify with. We did have fun reading the genuine suggestions and even some of others as we can take a joke and some of them were funny.

If you are truly concerned with colors or some technical minutia, give us a call or come grab a beer with us. We are stoked to be here and we will be here for a long time.

Being from the NW, we are excited to continue support the local climbing community as well as this site. Have fun out there and be safe.

Rather then "grabbing a beer" with you if were concerned about "technical minutia" like your being found guilty by a Federal Judge of falsely representing your CE certification how about you respond to that. Here. In the open.

Where everyone can read.

At the same time you can clearly lay out this whole Mad Rock/Climb-X/Pagen Gear relationship, and disclose the exact ownership of manufacturing and intellectual property; conflicts; ongoing and resolved legal issues; and disclose actually (and preliminary) judicial findings re the above.

Edited by robpatterson5

in fairness they did say grab a beer OR CALL US. It is plausible they would be open to discussing your questions but don't feel obligated to respond to the demands of every armchair-internet 'but i play one on tv' lawyer who seem a little more 'out to get them' and aggro than coolly asking if they can elaborate. I imagine a polite phone call to discuss it because you are genuinely concerned about CE certification, misrepresentation, ethics, etc may be answered with more direct information. That said, yes, the situation sure reads shifty and it would be nice to see a clear presentation of facts (or of their version of the facts).

Thanks again to everybody participating. We have come up with a name that was suggested on another site. We posted this 'contest' on this site because we generally enjoy the threads here and the NW Climbing Community is the group we identify with. We did have fun reading the genuine suggestions and even some of others as we can take a joke and some of them were funny.

If you are truly concerned with colors or some technical minutia, give us a call or come grab a beer with us. We are stoked to be here and we will be here for a long time.

Being from the NW, we are excited to continue support the local climbing community as well as this site. Have fun out there and be safe.

Well I was going to say "welcome" but think that based on the reception you got here maybe I was suppose to kick you right in the nutz first. Ruff crowd here. It's like a pack of wolves mass attack response here. They must have sniffed blood or weakness and just went for ya. Gots to love da internetz. Picture of how that might look:

zANIM+WOLVES+ALASKA+2.jpg

I was thinking Gecko for the shoe name, then I looked up and saw I was at least the 3rd person to that party. What was the web site you mention that had the superior wit and brains which nailed the new name? I googled it but came up blank.

WELCOME ANYWAY DUDES! :wave:

It does not seem unreasonable for us (potential ClimbX customers) to ask for an open, honest explanation of the situation between the two companies.

Alex,

I've also looked at Mad Rock's site and FB page after you claimed that had plastered their version of the story there. However, I found the reality to be in stark contrast with your portrayal of it. Mad Rock has merely linked the injunctions granted by the court along with a single sentence expressing delight at the fact that they had won. That is not close to what you made it out to be.

From the get go, on cc.com, you have lambasted Mad Rock for no apparent reason. You have not addressed a single concern about your product(s) nor done anything but continually remind us that you're from the PNW. Awesome, so was Ted Bundy; doesn't mean I want to buy climbing shoes from him. If you really believe in the company you are a part of and are proud of your work there why would you have a single hesitation to show us how ClimbX has legal and ethical integrity. A failure to respond in a clear, unambiguous manner leads everyone to one assumption: that ClimbX is a sketchy knock-off of a legitimate company.

Your move.

in fairness they did say grab a beer OR CALL US. It is plausible they would be open to discussing your questions but don't feel obligated to respond to the demands of every armchair-internet 'but i play one on tv' lawyer who seem a little more 'out to get them' and aggro than coolly asking if they can elaborate. I imagine a polite phone call to discuss it because you are genuinely concerned about CE certification, misrepresentation, ethics, etc may be answered with more direct information. That said, yes, the situation sure reads shifty and it would be nice to see a clear presentation of facts (or of their version of the facts).

Hello Again Everyone,

I have gone back and edited a couple of my previous posts in attempt to clarify some things. I tried specifically to address how Climb X came to be at the top of page 2 and concerns about the safety of our gear on this page with the post of the brake test machine. I ask anyone interested to read what I wrote there. If you still have specific questions, I am sure many of you do, I ask that you call me at 503-929-5360, PM me, or once again come by to get a beer. :brew: I appreciate your understanding that it is difficult and unwise to have a big open topic about an ongoing legal situation on a public forum.

I posted this here to have some fun and get some ideas for the new name of our shoe, which was named by Casey H. of Portland as "The Zion."

I really really hate to sound 'shifty' as water put it more politely than most. So I encourage you to get in touch. All this crazy online drama :argue:! I found the whole Ted Bundy thing funny too. I'm just a native of the PNW and trying hard to make Climb X a NW brand as well as a global brand. Constructive thoughts on that welcome - just send me a message - would love to discuss. I don't know what more to say than we are using our own designs that we created ourselves and are producing them at the same factory we were producing them at before.

Climb X is here for the long run. We've got some really cool things coming out that I can't wait for you to check out.

Have fun, be safe. If you are interested in following what going on, check out our Facebook page.

~Alex

Edited by Climb X

You can't keep pussyfooting on both sides of the fence. You keep saying your company is producing the same products for the last 8 years and nothing has changed, and at the same time say you are using your own designs. You designed those products when still a part of mad rock, and thus it is their intellectual property, even if you yourself produced the designs. So if you really want to legitimize yourself, throw out the old line and start new. You have the facilities, and seem to still have some of the people who designed those other products for mad rock, so come up with some new products. Differentiate yourself, no one needs 2 of the same product in this market under different brand names, what is the point?