Hell NO on I-1098

Fairweather

Woah! What have we here?

Jim is clearly not a full-time Regressive like myself, but there seems to be a situational regressive syndrome percolating up in previously uninfected quadrants.

Thanks, but I've always been on the fiscal conservative end of things - I just like to see our money used efficiently so that services, including progressive adgendas, can be met without gouging taxpayers.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like every time there's a stumbling drunk on the side of the road there are 3 patrol cars on the scene.

Cut the force back a bit?

It's about time.

Legalize drugs, like we should have done a long time ago, and you can cut the bloated criminal justice system in half.

Hear bleeping hear.

Still think my strategy of legalizing drugs and using the tax revenue to fund public sector pay and benefits has some legs, particularly in Washington.

You make the civil liberties side of the left happy with the end of drug prohibition and the folks who deify the public sector happy in one go, and probably rope in some regressive zealots like myself.

The principle's pretty simple here. Raise taxes and the state will continue to avoid the more politically difficult reforms it has needed to make for a long, long time.

The cutting of services rather than attacking the root cause of the shortfall in the first palce is a standard, punish the taxpayer tactic.

You may buy it, I don't.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I've also been fiscally conservative from day fucking one, most notably in my advocacy of cutting the shit out of our fantastically bloated military and cautioning against the invasion of Iraq...two options which most of the conservitards here STRONGLY dissagreed with BTW.

That lack of consistency between word and deed is nothing new to that crowd, of course.

ohhhh a 2% raise in a time of 1.1% inflation. that's a budget buster.

meanwhile the "oppressed masses" argue midday on the interwebs about the lazy government employees.... who aren't posting on the interwebs

King County's contracts call for cost-of-living (COLA) increases between 2 percent and 6 percent a year for most contracts, 3 percent to 6 percent for the bus drivers and a flat 5 percent for police.

Under these contracts, most King County employees received a 4.88-percent cost-of-living adjustment in January. Many employees also get "step" increases for rising into a new pay grade. A step up to grade 2 was worth another 4.85 percent; to grade 3 another 2.4 percent, and so on.

Yea - in these times I do think it's excessive. Why do you get a pay raise, on top of a COLA, for just hanging around.

Yea - in these times I do think it's excessive. Why do you get a pay raise, on top of a COLA, for just hanging around.

Keeping up with inflation (more or less) isn't excessive and it has nothing to do with how much of a raise you got or how much you make, or perhaps you should consider working for what your equivalent earns in Timbuktu as well.

Again, when the state does the right thing, then we'll talk.

Until then, FU.

Given the complexity of the issues and the recent track record of our bonehead legislators, I'm not optimistic.

It should be noted that the primary opponent to drug legalization and reductions in the criminal justice system is...ding ding ding:

the 'fiscally conservative' GOP

In addition, that very same group of morons blames teachers rather than the multi layered legion of more highly paid 'administrators'

that feed from the same, limited budget pie.

So, no, I'm not 'siding with conservatives', at least not by any contemporary definition of the word, I'm opposing their fucked up ideas, here.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I'm curious the metrics you want to use to evaluate performance for a policeman or bus driver.

I'm curious of the metrics, or likely lack there of, for the same.

I wish MY employer kept up with inflation.

You have no choice but to make him do it. Whining about others making their employers do it is surely not the way to get there.

Damn, do you have a vagina?

Who's whining about anybody else? I just wish MY employer kept up with inflation.

I wish MY employer kept up with inflation.

You have no choice but to make him do it. Whining about others making their employers do it is surely not the way to get there.

Damn, do you have a vagina?

Who's whining about anybody else? I just wish MY employer kept up with inflation.

I can see at least a few whining about it, which explains that I assumed you were whining too. Sorry about that.