Hell NO on I-1098

Fairweather

Let's sell the interstate highway system to the highest bidder. I'm getting pretty sick of subsidizing semi-drivers and we don't really need it to truck our nukes around anymore. What say you, JayB?

Highest bidder? I think you mean lowest. We only turn vital services over to whoever is the cheapest.

According to Comrade Prole, the interstate highway system is useless anyways. :noway:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess picking up on sarcasm was never your strong suit?

The dude is so nutty, you never know.

Libtards on this forum have bitched about the Interstate Highway System before, BTW, and there was no doubt they were not utilizing "sarcasm".

you can just say 'use' rather than 'utilize'.

pet peeve

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe there's something uniquely unappealing about operating a commercial port in Seattle that would keep bidders like these at bay.

Yeah, probably that the citizens of Seattle don't want to get ripped off by the likes of the Carlyle Group to the tune of a few billion dollars! But hey, when isn't it a good time to take a backhanded stab at longshoremen, you P.O.S.?

Rolled out with some fanfare, against the backdrop of a global-shipping market that had tanked during the recession, the three proposals came with up front cash offers ranging from $250 million to $700 million...

...In March 2009, CenterPoint was the first of the three groups to file an unsolicited proposal, which it valued at $3.5 billion in current dollars but said could be worth $8.9 billion to the state over the 60-year life of the deal.

CenterPoint's upfront cash offer of $500 million, along with those of the other proposers, were viewed as inadequate by port stakeholders and other local experts.

Richard N. Knapp, who retired last year as chief operating officer of Virginia International Terminals Inc., said he thought any conversation should begin with an offer in the range of $2.5 billion to $3 billion.

Edited by prole

Let's sell the interstate highway system to the highest bidder. I'm getting pretty sick of subsidizing semi-drivers and we don't really need it to truck our nukes around anymore. What say you, JayB?

Depends. Lease-concessions seem to work on major traffic corridors, generate money for the state to spend on other priorities, gets the liabilities associated with maintaining it off the books for the duration of the lease, and you can assess fees on semis that are commensurate to the amount of wear-and-tear that they put on the roadway if you want.

Maybe there's something uniquely unappealing about operating a commercial port in Seattle that would keep bidders like these at bay.

Yeah, probably that the citizens of Seattle don't want to get ripped off by the likes of the Carlyle Group to the tune of a few billion dollars! But hey, when isn't it a good time to take a backhanded stab at longshoremen, you P.O.S.?

Rolled out with some fanfare, against the backdrop of a global-shipping market that had tanked during the recession, the three proposals came with up front cash offers ranging from $250 million to $700 million...

...In March 2009, CenterPoint was the first of the three groups to file an unsolicited proposal, which it valued at $3.5 billion in current dollars but said could be worth $8.9 billion to the state over the 60-year life of the deal.

CenterPoint's upfront cash offer of $500 million, along with those of the other proposers, were viewed as inadequate by port stakeholders and other local experts.

Richard N. Knapp, who retired last year as chief operating officer of Virginia International Terminals Inc., said he thought any conversation should begin with an offer in the range of $2.5 billion to $3 billion.

I think the nation would be money ahead by offering every longshoreman in the country an immediate retirement at 100% of salary for life, and making up the difference and then some through increases in automation and efficiency - but that's really neither here nor there.

For reasons that are unclear to me, the public has seen fit to allow them a degree of control over port operations that would start riots if it was brandished by the likes of Walmart - but that's not likely to change soon, and anyone running the ports will get stuck dealing with them and transfer the costs of doing so onto port clients, and by extension, the public.

Agreed. It's clear that their much happier getting ripped off to the tune of $70 million a year for infinity by the Port itself. Negative $70 million * X is much more palatable than positive $500 million times one.

I posted the budget numbers above. Nowhere does it show the port is losing money. It appears that you don't know what you are talking about.

That's great news. Then they can stop assessing taxes on property owners and give all of this money back, or turn it over to the city to use on other priorities!

who are you to decide what is a priority? WHat makes you think the public wouldn't have to pay for these priorities if a private entity ran the show? You are clearly spewing about somehting you know nothing about.

"the Port uses the levy to fund capital investments in critical Seaport infrastructure and other expenditures providing community benefits such as environmental mitigation in the Seattle Harbor and the Port’s regional freight mobility initiative. The Port also uses the levy to fund a small annual contribution to PortJobs, a non-profit organization that helps develop Port and Airport-related career opportunities. The levy has not traditionally been used to fund improvements at Sea-Tac International Airport, which is exclusively supported by user fees; however, the Commission approved the use of levy funds for a noise mitigation project for the Highline School District and an environmental review of the potential expansion of State Route 518, just north of SeaTac Airport."

I think the nation would be money ahead by offering every longshoreman in the country an immediate retirement at 100% of salary for life, and making up the difference and then some through increases in automation and efficiency - but that's really neither here nor there.

For reasons that are unclear to me, the public has seen fit to allow them a degree of control over port operations that would start riots if it was brandished by the likes of Walmart - but that's not likely to change soon, and anyone running the ports will get stuck dealing with them and transfer the costs of doing so onto port clients, and by extension, the public.

West coast ports are already highly automated (that happens to be my nephew's job). It sucks that longshoremen haven't yet checked their balls at the door regarding protecting their living wage. Hopefully, though, all of the American workforce will someday be emasculated per JayB's specifications. I invite you to give a talk to them down at the port JayB. I'm sure your reception would be warm, to say the least.

Agreed. It's clear that their much happier getting ripped off to the tune of $70 million a year for infinity by the Port itself. Negative $70 million * X is much more palatable than positive $500 million times one.

JayB decided that port infrastructure improvement and environmental mitigation were a rip-off and weren't necessary. More drivel from Wingnutia.

I invite you to give a talk to them down at the port JayB. I'm sure your reception would be warm, to say the least.

Jay's more likely to be found at the Hilton giving talks to corporate weasels like himself on how they can take advantage of the budgetary crises created by the economic downturn to pick up public assets for a song and gouge taxpayers turned "customers".

Edited by prole

I invite you to give a talk to them down at the port JayB. I'm sure your reception would be warm, to say the least.

Jay's more likely to be found at the Hilton giving talks to corporate weasels like himself on how they can take advantage of the budgetary crises created by the economic downturn to pick up public assets for a song and gouge taxpayers turned "customers".

I wish!

In reality I'm far more likely to be found crashing in the back of my truck in Walmart parking lots.

I wish!

In reality I'm far more likely to be found crashing in the back of my truck in Walmart parking lots.

You wish? Well brother, I recommend checking out "Making Sociopathy Work For You" from your local library. Cash in on your antisocial tendencies and repressed fears!

so, Jay, what is your exact familiarity with port operations and budgeting so that you can decide it doesn't need infrastructure improvements or environmental mitigation?

None. If some car companies can sell cars to consumers for more than it costs to build them, then that's all that I need to know to demonstrate that we shouldn't use public money to subsidize those who can't.

If you can demonstrate that all ports rely on tax subsidies, rather than operating revenues to fund things like infrastructure improvements or environmental mitigation then that will make your case quite a bit stronger.

That would be strange, as it would imply that every Port in the world, public or private, is underpricing their services - but who knows.

I wish!

You wish? Well brother, I recommend checking out "Making Sociopathy Work For You" from your local library. Cash in on your antisocial tendencies and repressed fears!

I heard that public sector unions bought out the entire press run but I'll check it out when I get a chance.

I wish!

I heard that public sector unions bought out the entire press run but I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Is that the title authored by TTK? I wondered where he got his income from.

If you can demonstrate that all ports rely on tax subsidies, rather than operating revenues to fund things like infrastructure improvements or environmental mitigation then that will make your case quite a bit stronger.

On the flip side if you're arguing for such a change you could present a privately run Port that is pulling in a profit without proping up from public resources and is meeting it's environmental regulatory responsibilities - and is in the U.S. and is at least as big as, say, the Port of Vancouver.

None. If some car companies can sell cars to consumers for more than it costs to build them, then that's all that I need to know to demonstrate that we shouldn't use public money to subsidize those who can't.

Car companies don't mitigate the environmental damage caused by their product. Car companies also don't enable billions in business activities other than their own. Infrastructure isn't a consumer item. Clearly apples and oranges.

Are you seriously suggesting that port infrastructure should only be updated according to net revenue? Ludicrous.

That would be strange, as it would imply that every Port in the world, public or private, is underpricing their services - but who knows.

no, it wouldn't. It would suggest that increased/better port capacity is part of the infrastructure that enables more business and it doesn't have to pay directly/immediately for itself.

On the flip side if you're arguing for such a change you could present a privately run Port that is pulling in a profit without proping up from public resources and is meeting it's environmental regulatory responsibilities - and is in the U.S. and is at least as big as, say, the Port of Vancouver.

Yes. Dig up the data and we can take a look at things like taxpayer input for unit volume, etc, etc, etc.