Hell NO on I-1098

Fairweather

No answer jayb, apparently if you're a "progressive", *cough* tax and spend libtard * cough *, then sure, hey, it's only money.

To them the taxpayers have unlimited scratch: they can and should pay for everything under the sun which the government wants: "let the taxpayer pick up the tab it's only money they have lots of it".

Spare us the sanctimonious drivel. Educating myself to answer reducive soundbites about an issue that JayB is very likely little informed about is just not a priority.

BUt you can start learning about the port budget, and let us know in comprehensive term whether or not there is any substance to what JayB is saying (not likely at first sight): "The 2010 budget proposes operating revenues at $479.0 million and operating expenses at $282.8 million. Net Operating Income is $196.2million. Depreciation Expense is budgeted at $158.6 million. Net Operating Income after Depreciation is $37.6 million. The total capital budget for 2010 is $410.0 million and the five year capital improvement program is $1.4 billion, which reflects the Port's continuing commitment to promoting regional economic activity through the investment in the development, expansion, and renewal of Port facilities that supports the Port’s Business Plan and Green Initiative."

http://www.portseattle.org/about/organization/2010budget.shtml

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wealthy contribute to defeat income tax

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and Amazon.com founder and CEO Jeff Bezos, have lined up against an initiative that would create an income tax on the state's wealthiest earners.

Ahh, good ol' Jeff Bozos, proving you don't have to be even mildly intelligent to get incredibly rich. The same dumbass that was spamming constantly how the segway scooter was going to change the course of human history and have "cities redesigned around it." :lmao:

Then there is Steve B, who has done a great job proving that Microsoft without BillG isn't exactly the same as the Microsoft that made lots of us good money.

Have you seen Bezos' X Prize losing rocket? LOL

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and Amazon.com founder and CEO Jeff Bezos, have lined up against an initiative that would create an income tax on the state's wealthiest earners.

Ahh, good ol' Jeff Bozos, proving you don't have to be even mildly intelligent to get incredibly rich. The same dumbass that was spamming constantly how the segway scooter was going to change the course of human history and have "cities redesigned around it." :lmao:

Then there is Steve B, who has done a great job proving that Microsoft without BillG isn't exactly the same as the Microsoft that made lots of us good money.

Nope? We might need a link to that.

I am still amazed he hasn't somehow been forced out of his leadership at Amazon. It speaks highly of the other people at that company (some I know to be very smart people) that they succeed in spite of him. I can't think of many big name tech people I'd consider more overhyped and overpraised than Jeff Bezos. He seems rather friendly and happy go lucky though, and maybe that counts for something...

LOL!! I think the model rocket I bought for $50 back in middle school got further off the ground than that. He probably should have just spent his money buying something off the shelf from Boeing. After all, he got a degree in CS and EE, then immediately went to work as a financial analyst...1 year before the '87 stock crash.

The problem with putting the nice dumb guy in charge is there is nobody to tell him things like this are completely idiotic and should be best kept to himself...

Artificial Artificial Intelligence (AAI) is a term coined by Jeff Bezos with reference to Artificial Intelligence (AI). Certain processing tasks, such as identifying whether a person in a photograph is male or female, are still performed better and faster by humans than computers. AI is not yet adequate to programming such tasks. The idea of AAI is to outsource those parts of a computer program to humans.[5]

No answer jayb, apparently if you're a "progressive", *cough* tax and spend libtard * cough *, then sure, hey, it's only money.

To them the taxpayers have unlimited scratch: they can and should pay for everything under the sun which the government wants: "let the taxpayer pick up the tab it's only money they have lots of it".

Spare us the sanctimonious drivel. Educating myself to answer reducive soundbites about an issue that JayB is very likely little informed about is just not a priority.

BUt you can start learning about the port budget, and let us know in comprehensive term whether or not there is any substance to what JayB is saying (not likely at first sight): "The 2010 budget proposes operating revenues at $479.0 million and operating expenses at $282.8 million. Net Operating Income is $196.2million. Depreciation Expense is budgeted at $158.6 million. Net Operating Income after Depreciation is $37.6 million. The total capital budget for 2010 is $410.0 million and the five year capital improvement program is $1.4 billion, which reflects the Port's continuing commitment to promoting regional economic activity through the investment in the development, expansion, and renewal of Port facilities that supports the Port’s Business Plan and Green Initiative."

http://www.portseattle.org/about/organization/2010budget.shtml

It's much easier than that. The only relevant question to ask when there's not enough money to fund everything the government does is to ask whether or not a given function is something that only the government could provide.

Legislation, courts, law-enforcement, etc - yes. A commercial port - no. End of discussion. When push comes to shove, you sell or lease the Port to someone that knows how to make money doing so - rather than losing $70 million a year, and use both the funds from the sale or lease and the $70 million to fund the things that only the government can do.

I'm thinking that a good functional definition of a regressive is someone who thinks that the public sector exists to serve the public, and a progressive is someone who has concluded the opposite is true.

Nope? We might need a link to that.

I am still amazed he hasn't somehow been forced out of his leadership at Amazon. It speaks highly of the other people at that company (some I know to be very smart people) that they succeed in spite of him. I can't think of many big name tech people I'd consider more overhyped and overpraised than Jeff Bezos. He seems rather friendly and happy go lucky though, and maybe that counts for something...

I'm not sure that having a highly developed technical skill or getting a high-score on the GRE necessarily correlate with entrepeneurial ability.

Somehow the guy managed to build the most successful online retailer in the world while god knows how many competitors - most of them headed by "very smart people" crashed and burned.

I've worked with "very smart people" for quite a while, and have sometimes gone weeks without interacting with anyone who didn't have a PhD, and MD, or both - and a significant percentage of them would have a hard time managing the third-shift at a taco-bell on the basis of their interpersonal skills alone.

If he's so terrible as CEO of the company that he created, then it should be a pretty simple matter for the people that you speak of to open their own competitor and drive him out of business using their superior intellects.

Right place, right time, lots of luck, hires the right people, who knows? I didn't dispute the success, simply said it amazes me somebody who says so much stupid shit has made billions. Maybe he is the Forrest Gump of Tech CEOs? Very much agreed on the PHDs, etc who couldn't manage a Taco Bell though...definitely not the same skill set.

Let's sell the interstate highway system to the highest bidder. I'm getting pretty sick of subsidizing semi-drivers and we don't really need it to truck our nukes around anymore. What say you, JayB?

Highest bidder? I think you mean lowest. We only turn vital services over to whoever is the cheapest.

Let's sell the interstate highway system to the highest bidder. I'm getting pretty sick of subsidizing semi-drivers and we don't really need it to truck our nukes around anymore. What say you, JayB?

Highest bidder? I think you mean lowest. We only turn vital services over to whoever is the cheapest.

According to Comrade Prole, the interstate highway system is useless anyways. :noway:

you sell or lease the Port to someone that knows how to make money doing so - rather than losing $70 million a year

I posted the budget numbers above. Nowhere does it show the port is losing money. It appears that you don't know what you are talking about.

According to Comrade Prole, the interstate highway system is useless anyways. :noway:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess picking up on sarcasm was never your strong suit?

Back in the real world...

...who's going to buy the port, JayB?

No one? (most likely correct)

Guess we'll have to close it.

Would that cost the state more than 70 M?

Yup.

The only way to determine whether that's true or not, in reality, is to put it up for sale or long-term lease.

"As Va. mulls port privatization, Baltimore dives in.

The state is tight on money, but the region needs roadwork and the port is figuring out how to pay for a needed expansion.

Sounds a lot like Hampton Roads, but this state, region and port are about 170 miles north, or a day's steam up the Chesapeake Bay.

On Jan. 12, Maryland closed on a lease of the Port of Baltimore's primary container facility, Seagirt Marine Terminal, to a private operator for 50 years. The deal is expected to generate hundreds of millions of dollars for the state, which plans to use some of the money to pay for an array of regional road and bridge projects.

The state of Virginia and the Virginia Port Authority face a similar decision: whether to cede operational control of the port of Hampton Roads for a long time in exchange for a lot of money. Three companies have submitted proposals to operate the state-owned cargo terminals.

Maryland officials say they're elated over the lease of Seagirt to Ports America Chesapeake, an affiliate of New Jersey-based Ports America, the largest independent port operator in North America. It does business in Hampton Roads as a 50 percent partner in the stevedoring firm CP&O.

The agreement is estimated to be worth as much as $1.8 billion over time. The Maryland Transportation Authority is getting $140 million in upfront cash that it plans to use on eight projects, including improvements to

Interstate 95 and bridge upgrades......

....In March, CenterPoint Properties, a Chicago-area industrial real estate firm, filed an unsolicited proposal to lease the Virginia Port Authority's terminals for 60 years in a public-private partnership. Executives at CenterPoint, which also plans a large warehouse development in Suffolk, said the deal could be worth $3.5 billion - in today's dollars - to the state over the 60 years.

Four months later, two other private groups - The Carlyle Group, a Washington investment firm, and a partnership of terminal operator Carrix Inc. and investment bank Goldman Sachs - filed similar proposals.

The three preliminary proposals offer upfront cash ranging from $250 million to $700 million, profit-sharing plans and varied levels of commitment to fund a fourth marine terminal at Craney Island, which the Virginia Port Authority wants to build to accommodate future growth in trade...."

Maybe there's something uniquely unappealing about operating a commercial port in Seattle that would keep bidders like these at bay.

Link.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess picking up on sarcasm was never your strong suit?

The dude is so nutty, you never know.

Libtards on this forum have bitched about the Interstate Highway System before, BTW, and there was no doubt they were not utilizing "sarcasm".

The state is tight on money, but the region needs roadwork and the port is figuring out how to pay for a needed expansion.

Sounds a lot like Hampton Roads, but this state, region and port are about 170 miles north, or a day's steam up the Chesapeake Bay.

On Jan. 12, Maryland closed on a lease of the Port of Baltimore's primary container facility, Seagirt Marine Terminal, to a private operator for 50 years. The deal is expected to generate hundreds of millions of dollars for the state, which plans to use some of the money to pay for an array of regional road and bridge projects.

The state of Virginia and the Virginia Port Authority face a similar decision: whether to cede operational control of the port of Hampton Roads for a long time in exchange for a lot of money. Three companies have submitted proposals to operate the state-owned cargo terminals.

Maryland officials say they're elated over the lease of Seagirt to Ports America Chesapeake, an affiliate of New Jersey-based Ports America, the largest independent port operator in North America. It does business in Hampton Roads as a 50 percent partner in the stevedoring firm CP&O.

The agreement is estimated to be worth as much as $1.8 billion over time. The Maryland Transportation Authority is getting $140 million in upfront cash that it plans to use on eight projects, including improvements to

....In March, CenterPoint Properties, a Chicago-area industrial real estate firm, filed an unsolicited proposal to lease the Virginia Port Authority's terminals for 60 years in a public-private partnership. Executives at CenterPoint, which also plans a large warehouse development in Suffolk, said the deal could be worth $3.5 billion - in today's dollars - to the state over the 60 years.

Four months later, two other private groups - The Carlyle Group, a Washington investment firm, and a partnership of terminal operator Carrix Inc. and investment bank Goldman Sachs - filed similar proposals.

The three preliminary proposals offer upfront cash ranging from $250 million to $700 million, profit-sharing plans and varied levels of commitment to fund a fourth marine terminal at Craney Island, which the Virginia Port Authority wants to build to accommodate future growth in trade...."

Maybe there's something uniquely unappealing about operating a commercial port in Seattle that would keep bidders like these at bay.

Might want to try something a little more recent. Damn, you're a slimy motherfucker!

you sell or lease the Port to someone that knows how to make money doing so - rather than losing $70 million a year

I posted the budget numbers above. Nowhere does it show the port is losing money. It appears that you don't know what you are talking about.

That's great news. Then they can stop assessing taxes on property owners and give all of this money back, or turn it over to the city to use on other priorities!

"For 2010, the tax levy amount is assumed to be $73,500,000."

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the King County Council, State of Washington, be notified that

the specific sum herein mentioned being a total of $73,500,000 is necessary to be raised by taxation to meet

the payment of bond redemption and interest on Port of Seattle General Obligation Bonds, of future

expenditures for acquisitions and capital improvements, and of costs for such general purposes allowed by law

which the Port deems necessary, as set forth for the period January 1, 2010 and thereafter; that said King

County Council be respectfully requested to make a levy in said amount for the aforesaid purposes.

2005 Regular Levy 62,748,329

2006 Regular Levy 62,748,329

2007 Regular Levy 68,813,857

2008 Regular Levy 75,899,369

2009 Regular Levy 75,899,369

2010 Regular Levy 73,500,000"

http://www.portseattle.org/downloads/about/2010_Statutory_Budget_1.pdf

Might want to try something a little more recent. Damn, you're a slimy motherfucker!

Good article. Sounds like it had more to do with the sellers not liking the price than it did the absence of willing buyers.

"The bids, therefore, are not considered reflective of the value of the terminals based on the past investment made by the commonwealth and their anticipated value as the economy recovers.

...Another of the three proposers also expressed continued interest in the port.

"If the new administration decides private investment in the port benefits the state, Carlyle will look forward to participating," Christopher W. Ullman, a Carlyle spokesman, wrote in an e-mail.

Officials at CenterPoint Properties could not be reached for comment.

The announcement Friday did not close the door on other port privatization options. During the next year, the state will evaluate the Port Authority and its operating affiliate Virginia International Terminals Inc. "to determine the advantages of privatizing all or part of their operations in the future," according to the Port Authority's release."