USE YOUR REAL NAMES ON CC.COM

billcoe

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raindawg, you've outed yourself by promoting a book you've written. In what way is Mattp inappropriately outing you by citing information that you yourself have released on this website?

Yes, when the purpose is spray, it doesn't matter what you call yourself. My point is that if you want to talk about something like climbing ethics in a forum that isn't spray, anonymity is a hindrance to civil behavior and actual discussion. By all means, remain anonymous and blabber all you want on the subject, but don't complain to me when your important topic gets flushed to Spray.

Yes, when the purpose is spray, it doesn't matter what you call yourself. My point is that if you want to talk about something like climbing ethics in a forum that isn't spray, anonymity is a hindrance to civil behavior and actual discussion. By all means, remain anonymous and blabber all you want on the subject, but don't complain to me when your important topic gets flushed to Spray.

Do you really think a bolting argument advanced, say, by Peter Puget (a pseudonym) has any more or less validity than one by say Darryl Cramer or Tony Bentley (both presumably real names)? I don't and I don't see why you would even begin to think they do.

Raindawg, you've outed yourself by promoting a book you've written. In what way is Mattp inappropriately outing you by citing information that you yourself have released on this website?

And here I thought threads were flushed to spray because people chose to act like dicks, while all the while it was their avatars making them do it.

I think you've vastly overblown your arguments re the importance of avatar v name on civility, which I've observed to be a relatively inconsequential factor on same, but at least you've finally reduced your altitude to an appropriately limited scope regarding you conclusions.

Humorously, of the top 10 TR contributors to this site, 8 post under avatars, and none post under their full name or any name that would enable another poster to find out who they really were or track them down in any way...

...not that there's anything wrong with that.

A quick survey of the moderators on the site reveals a healthy 'anonymity ratio'. It really is just all in good fun, I guess.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

You're being obtuse Pat. It's my assertion that many people act more like dicks when their words are not linked to their everyday life. You'll find corroboration in the comments section of every online version of a daily paper, and I think you'll find ample evidence here as well.

I do indeed think real names might make a difference in the tenor and quality of a climbing ethics discussion, but of course I might be wrong. I'm unaware of that being tried anywhere before.

I'd accept the notion that perhaps Tvash and G-Spotter using their real names to post might indeed have no effect in what they write online, but I bet Tvash says things online that he'd never say to a stranger's face. Lots of people here do that, and I know I've done it too, so I don't mean to imply that I'm some paragon of virtue.

Humorously, of the top 10 TR contributors to this site, 8 post under avatars, and none post under their full name or any name that would enable another poster to find out who they really were or track them down in any way...

Interestingly, many of the most talented climbers who've posted on this site use their real names, either a first name or a full name. They don't usually bother with the bolt blabber either.

Most of the people doing first ascents of rock routes in this region don't post on this board at all, or have only made very rare appearances.

It's about the internet.

This board is NOT unique in the genre of public boards.

If you force people to reveal their true identity you will probably get more civil discourse.

But people will find someplace else to play.

Timmy and Jon will be begging what few are left to donate money.

This is an awkward period of change.

The "internet society" will have to work these issues out by voting with their presence or lack thereof. So far, those who impose pre-internet ethos on their site do not fare well.

Interestingly, many of the most talented climbers who've posted on this site use their real names, either a first name or a full name. They don't usually bother with the bolt blabber either.

Most of the people doing first ascents of rock routes in this region don't post on this board at all, or have only made very rare appearances.

I'm well aware of the general demographic of the site, OW...no need to backhandedly shit over those who've taken the time and effort to post some really great and entertaining content, even if you personally don't find that content Rock and Ice worthy. I agree that the bolt thing is a fucking waste of time...always have.

I understand that you and Matt are friends, but don't let that blind you to the fact that he can get pretty nasty. "Outing" is a tool he's used before, but in this case he used it in an especially despicable manner--full name along with home city--in an effort to intimidate someone he doesn't like. If you guys want to be a website for elite climbers only, then, by all means, change the rules and see where it gets ya. Peace.

I understand that you and Matt are friends, but don't let that blind you to the fact that he can get pretty nasty. "Outing" is a tool he's used before, but in this case he used it in an especially despicable manner--full name along with home city--in an effort to intimidate someone he doesn't like. If you guys want to be a website for elite climbers only, then, by all means, change the rules and see where it gets ya. Peace.

Now, come on, Matt's not such a bad guy. Sure, he can get a little pissy, but he's pretty easy going and well intentioned for the most part.

If there was a nasty contest, I think you and I would probably take home more ribbons.

It's about the internet.

This board is NOT unique in the genre of public boards.

If you force people to reveal their true identity you will probably get more civil discourse.

But people will find someplace else to play.

Timmy and Jon will be begging what few are left to donate money.

This is an awkward period of change.

The "internet society" will have to work these issues out by voting with their presence or lack thereof. So far, those who impose pre-internet ethos on their site do not fare well.

I'm pretty sure most regular posters on this board realize they are to some degree accountable for their words. As an observer I frequent several professional boards where all users must use their real names. Even with their real names it's amazing how nasty things get with the absence of facial gestures and other non-verbal means of communication. With those gestures someone could quickly realize that someone was seriously hurt or worried and stop what the other was joking about, for example. As such I'm not sure "real names" add anything.

I'm also sure most posters don't want their posts to be google searchable. Google is evil

Now, come on, Matt's not such a bad guy. Sure, he can get a little pissy, but he's pretty easy going and well intentioned for the most part.

If there was a nasty contest, I think you and I would probably take home more ribbons.

Sure. But you and I don't pretend to exist "above the fray"--or wear little yellow badges with an "M." :)

Edited by Fairweather

OW...no need to backhandedly shit over those who've taken the time and effort to post some really great and entertaining content,

Sorry if you took it that way Pat, that wasn't my intent. The TR's are pretty much the best thing about this board, and you've contributed a lot of fine content, thanks.

Why don't you all use your real names? Occasionally someone steps up and does, like this example, but lots of ornery folks just want to anonymously spit on folks.

D-- ----, of ------ (Raindawg, Dwayner, Merv Griffin, etc.): I'm not in favor of removing any routes that I can think of at the moment. As I said, I'm in favor of working toward bringing about what we would like to see in climbing.

Matt Perkins

Hey Matt,

Since you are so good at outing people, how about you post Hugh Conway's real name and city just incase he threatens to "cape" me again. Or does this sort of behavior only get people banned when they do it to moderators? I like a lot of what you say and do here Matt but outing someone that way is really lame. Clearly the most questionable thing I have seen you do on this site. How about posting a listing of everyone's real name so we can all be on equal footing? How about at least posting a listing of moderators and their names and cities? Watch 80% of em scurry into the shadows like cockroaches.

[video:youtube]on3XBTouSf0

icon_ThingyAmimation.gif

There are a lot of folks at cc.com and beyond who don't appreciate that their current and future employers, friends, spouses, and others will google their names and quickly turn up all the internet sludge they've been spewing. Avatars are security blankets that provide little protection against even modestly sophisticated cyber scrutiny. Anyone who believes otherwise is living in a bubble that will eventually POP!

There are a lot of folks at cc.com and beyond who don't appreciate that their current and future employers, friends, spouses, and others will google their names quickly turn up all the internet sludge they've been spewing. Avatars are security blankets that provide little protection against even modestly sophisticated cyber scrutiny. Anyone who believe otherwise is living in a bubble that will eventually POP!

Exactly! I use to use my real name on here but as i became more obsessed with cc.com I switched it. Now no one knows who i am!!!