Single Malt Scotch

Kimmo

so after having sampled some scotch over the years, i never understood how people could choke the stuff down. i thought it to be another humanoid affectation, like tattoos or fetish amputations. laphroaig 10 year comes to mind: ummmm i'll take the hickory smoke flavor for 3.99 a bottle at fred meyers thank you.

but then a friend gave me some glenlivet 12 yr, and it made sense. i could actually ENJOY this crap, cuz there were flavors to pick out, like flowers and fruit and stuff. neat!

so i'm looking for other recommendations. what are the scotch drinker's favorites, and, importantly, why? what are the reasons and flavors and etc that makes ya want this one?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after a climb me and my partner are sitting on moraine outside Camp Bridwell watching the scenery after dinner. We notice a woman down at the lake throwing rocks at an iceberg that has floated down near the stream outlet and is stuck. After 15 minutes we had to find out the scoop and go down. We ask what she is doing. Well - she has a 15 yr old bottle of single malt back and the tent and needs ice!

I hated scotch until I went to a Johnny Walker deal in Fremont a few years ago. They had this big presentation that was almost out of Zoolander (your going to kill the prime minister of Malaysia!) and started us off on Red and ended with Blue. I love scotch now!

Next time you're heading up to BC stop in the duty free and pick up a bottle of The Macallan. They have a good 12 year called Elegancia for around $44 that is f'ing amazing, and have a lot of bottles that are exclusive to the duty free. The reason I like this scotch is because it is so smooth, with some spicy and citrus tones and a really nice finish.

I'm recently back after bailing on a vacation so I could go help my oldest friend get into rehab for a second time after relapsing. He was back up to a fifth of Scotch a day and probably just weeks away from hospitalization. He could tell you on which day in 1993 that he discovered single malt Scotch. I'm not saying everyone goes down that path or anything, I've just had an aversion induced to something I used to like. Do be careful, its best not to love it too much.

As far as a recommendation, try an 12 YO Macallan aged in the Sherry casks. You could go 18 YO at a substantial upcharge, but the 12 is pretty good. Glenlivet is sort of a gateway drug.

so after having sampled some scotch over the years, i never understood how people could choke the stuff down. i thought it to be another humanoid affectation, like tattoos or fetish amputations. laphroaig 10 year comes to mind: ummmm i'll take the hickory smoke flavor for 3.99 a bottle at fred meyers thank you.

but then a friend gave me some glenlivet 12 yr, and it made sense. i could actually ENJOY this crap, cuz there were flavors to pick out, like flowers and fruit and stuff. neat!

so i'm looking for other recommendations. what are the scotch drinker's favorites, and, importantly, why? what are the reasons and flavors and etc that makes ya want this one?

There are huge differences between an island malt (like an Islay) and highland scotches. The Laphroaig is of the former variety, and the Glienlivet of the latter. Really, they are like two completely different drinks.

I would recommend trying the Glenlivet 15 year French Oak. It is light and has some of the flavors you describe. I'd also recommend the Balvenie 12 year double wood - oak and cherry (which I think is on sale in the WA state liquor stores right now)

If you hate Laphroaig, stay away from all the following (at least for now): Lagavulin, Caol Ila, and Talisker (there are more but I can't remember right now - basically any Islay or Island malts). A compromise and good entry into these more peaty, smoky Island malts would be Highland Park (12 or 15 year year) if you ever wish to try this route again.

Don't go with any blended scotches - best to mix those.

Last time I went to Nepal we took over suitcases of Jonnie Walker Blue for the village. I tasted some of it, it still tastes like I imagine licking ass to be. Putrid. I've tried some real expensive Scotch and it all tastes like crap.

Now Bourbon, good old USA Bourbon, that's nector of the Gods.

Last time I went to Nepal we took over suitcases of Jonnie Walker Blue for the village. I tasted some of it, it still tastes like I imagine licking ass to be. Putrid. I've tried some real expensive Scotch and it all tastes like crap.

Now Bourbon, good old USA Bourbon, that's nector of the Gods.

Johnnie Walker Blue is a blended scotch and runs well over 100 bucks for a fifth. If you are going to lay out that kind of cash you might as well buy a higher end single-malt. In fact, if you buy a 150 dollar bottle of single malt, I guarantee it doesn't taste "like crap"

Bourbon is fine, and I enjoy it occasionally, but it is rarely as complex as a great scotch. Bill - is Kevbone rubbing off on you? This reminds me of a Mariner's thread where that idiot jumps in with "baseball sucks". :rolleyes:

Being I'm the opposite like of what you like. (Like KKKKK said stay away from Islay or other island Scotch.) I prefer them. You don't have a location, so I don't know if this is helpful...

But there is a good Scottish pub in Seattle. (St. Andrews) They have 30+ single malts there. You can easily go in and say I like "this" can you recommend something? And will produce a glass. Also, they will give you a wee dram to sample before you buy a neat glass of it.

Although, I was watching travel shows on PBS, Burt Wolf was doing a distillery tour, where the guy at the distillery said single malt should always be drank with water.

Although, I was watching travel shows on PBS, Burt Wolf was doing a distillery tour, where the guy at the distillery said single malt should always be drank with water.
The whole with-or-without water thing comes down to personal preference. I went to a tasting a few years ago hosted by Jim Murray (author of the Whisky Bible) and his take was "It's already 60% water, no need to add any more!"

Next time you're heading up to BC stop in the duty free
The scotch prices at the duty free shops coming into BC from WA are fantastic. Close to 50% less than BC Liqour's tax inflated prices. I've never bought a bottle of scotch in Canada, always at duty free.

I just finished off a bottle of Laphroig this week... got an Ardberg and a Dalwhinnie waiting to be cracked open.

The whole with-or-without water thing comes down to personal preference. I went to a tasting a few years ago hosted by Jim Murray (author of the Whisky Bible) and his take was "It's already 60% water, no need to add any more!"

There are specialty malts that come in cask strength that often need to be cut with water. I never buy these because I don't want to screw up such an expensive drink with the "wrong" water (technically you want water from Scotland - not US tap water, or distilled water, etc).

I just got done painting my whole house with aerosol paint. The shit is great and it comes in different colors.
I think I sharted after reading this! I am still laughing. quietly though.
Wow, thank you Arch! I have been trying to remember this most eloquent word (sharted) for a few months now but could not remember it to save my life. It was really bugging me. Seriously. I owe you big time, scotch is on me. I'm so happy, I'm gonna go sharting out loud! Well, maybe not that excited.

Lagavulin is the shit. Can't get enough of it. No water, no ice just Scotch in a glass or right out the bottle.

Wish I had some now. I'll throw a party if Bill brings a suitcase of this stuff.

Reminds me of a party at the Ballroom last year where all the Jack Daniels you could stomach was free. Turns out it's not the cost of JD that prevents me from drinking a bunch of it. It all sucked right down to the single barrel shit. Sorry USA.

Lagavulin is the shit. Can't get enough of it. No water, no ice just Scotch in a glass or right out the bottle.

Wish I had some now. I'll throw a party if Bill brings a suitcase of this stuff.

Reminds me of a party at the Ballroom last year where all the Jack Daniels you could stomach was free. Turns out it's not the cost of JD that prevents me from drinking a bunch of it. It all sucked right down to the single barrel shit. Sorry USA.

Kimmo: you will not like Lagavulin