theft at little si !!

bretjohnston

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess we dont see eye to eye on this one. its like saying that you cant park your car out side of your home for more than 24 hrs. although it doesnt belong to the thief they are still capable of breaking in and taking it. is that ethical?

Actually, it would be like parking your car in the middle of the street.

Well, since we're all airing our opinions here...

I come from a very different part of the country where there essentially is no sport climbing. Around here, leaving gear on the wall other than to bail would be in bad taste. I suppose I just don't understand the idea that one is entitled to clutter a public recreation area with personal gear when not in use. The analogy of leaving a tent in a public camping spot for a week so that it will be there for you when you get back seems apt.

Sure, it's bad form to take the stuff, but I'd certainly be annoyed if I went to climb a route that had somebody else's gear hanging all over it.

it is stealing and if i caught you with my stuff, i'd kick your ass...end of story...

And if they were 4'8", and weighed 76 pounds, you might stand a chance. Unless they decided to run away.

Whatever Mark...bats rule...and its 5'-0" and 200lbs...get your facts straight...

Are you saying that someone 5'0" and 200# could outrun you?

the tent in a public place is a perfect analogy. You leave your tent in the back country and you would expect it to be there. Put it in the middle of I-5 and then.........

It took someone from the south (and new to cc.com) to come up with a decent way to put it.

the tent in a public place is a perfect analogy. You leave your tent in the back country and you would expect it to be there. Put it in the middle of I-5 and then.........

It took someone from the south (and new to cc.com) to come up with a decent way to put it.

no, i think bill coe came up with that one, and he is not new to cc.com and certainly not from the south.

no, i think bill coe came up with that one, and he is not new to cc.com and certainly not from the south.

I did not come up with it. I was fascinated by this argument, since I really don't have much exposure to sport climbing culture where I'm from. I read through the old thread on this same topic that someone linked to, saw the tent analogy, and thought it would be pertinent to include here as well.

To be honest, I was genuinely puzzled by the original post and the fact that there were such strong opinions in support of leaving gear at the crag. I guess you could call it culture shock, so I did as much reading as I could to learn a bit more about the culture out west.

I definitely don't have a strong opinion on the matter, and if leaving stuff on the wall is what sport climbers do, well, that's what they do I guess. I would consider it very rude to clutter a crag with personal gear when not in use, but so long as they don't invade my favorite trad climbs with bolts, I guess they can have their fun and I can have mine.

OMG, so I left my wallet on the sidewalk outside my favorite beer store so that it would be there when I came back in a few days for another sixer and somebody totally stole my shit! WTF? THEFT ON 148th!!! Plus, those cards totally have my name on them. I go shopping all the time -- unless you intend to keep them in your wallet, I will see you!! :anger:

probably with my busted ankle...

we wondered who took that 300' off Pineapple :)

Actually, it would be like parking your car in the middle of the street.

in th middle of the street, windows down and keys in the ignition....

To be honest, I was genuinely puzzled by the original post and the fact that there were such strong opinions in support of leaving gear at the crag. I guess you could call it culture shock, so I did as much reading as I could to learn a bit more about the culture out west.

Ya you'd never find fixed draws on eastern crags like Rumney or at the RRG right :rolleyes::lmao:

motherlode.jpg

Emily-Harrington-Ultra-perm.jpg

354830-largest_KumpyClimb2.jpg

New Hampshire and Kentucky? I don't know what they do there.

I'm from North Carolina. We pretty much don't have sport climbing here at all. I said flat-out that I don't know much at all about sport climbing culture or ethics. That's why this thread was so interesting to me.

Scroll down to the summary of climbing available

Edited by TarHeelEMT

I definitely don't have a strong opinion on the matter, and if leaving stuff on the wall is what sport climbers do, well, that's what they do I guess. I would consider it very rude to clutter a crag with personal gear when not in use, but so long as they don't invade my favorite trad climbs with bolts, I guess they can have their fun and I can have mine.

Please don't think that CC.com is the best example of culture out West. Really, its just yahoos getting in internet pissing contests. You have that back in NC?

I would consider it very rude to clutter a crag with personal gear when not in use, but so long as they don't invade my favorite trad climbs with bolts, I guess they can have their fun and I can have mine.

Sure. Most here would agree with your sediment tarheel, however, some steep hard routes are near impossible to clean, so the custom evolved to leave the draws rather than spend 5 hours trying to get them down at the end of the day. Esp. if you will be back the next day in the am for a full day (or the day after if you get trashed and need a rest day). I don't sport climb, I'm an old fat weak mostly trad climber, and I see the draws in places and can totally understand another feeling slighted by their presence. Especially if it's a route they can't get up but some 10 year old ecotomorph from the gym is doing laps on with 1 arm or hold elimination...grrrr (I digress:-) :lmao: but if someone is offended can't a person always grab the dude/dudette who left the trash (or leave a note that says "Hey asshole, I was going to do this route but your shit was here and I don't trust it so pull you shit next time..." or whatever you want to say), and still not steal someone elses stuff? I see it hanging there and it doesn't bother me at all.

Frankly, on steep hard routes, as Lancegranite says, leaving permanent draws is not uncommon. Most of us just ignore and pretend we're adults: lord knows some of us ain't gettin up some of it without a stick clip, aiders, prayer or all 3:-)