New Female Posters

minx

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hesitate to enter a thread with this much subject drift...but the climbing with SO topic interests me.

I've been climbing with my wife for 30 years. She is my favorite partner and my number one choice every time I climb. That she chooses not to go much of the time now is fine, I have lots of friends, men and women to climb with.

We do enjoy climbing as three, so that when she decides she's had enough climbing for the day and wants to swim, I can climb with the guy and not have to lean on her to keep climbing.

There were times when I seriously thought about possibly breaking up (usually dumb reasons), but I always needed a climbing partner that weekend, and it held our marriage together.

I don't know why you wouldn't want to climb with your SO. Maybe you guys just don't have good relationship skills or something?

There is a tendency to not be on your best behavior when it's just the "old lady", but climbing usually puts us in a great mood, and I don't remember any arguments on the cliff, other than when I got her on something too hard during pms...but that was totally my fault.

I've seen couples climbing together and hating life, but I've seen far more who seemed to be having a great time. You've got a reliable partner, and you've got a babe at night, what's not to like?

Sue in 1983 in Yosemite on a rest day:

sueHalfDome84.jpg

Glad to see some positve responses. I've just embarked on a brave new world for me, dating a female friend that I've climbed a fair amount with in the past several years. Some of the issues I've heard hopefully won't affect us since neither one of us is hardcore and mostly we crag together with friends plus kids aren't part of the equation. I'm looking forward to it, especially long weekends at Squamish and Smith.

Mark, glad it works so well for you. I've had both successful and unsuccessful relationships with both climbers and nonclimbers. Certainly everything said here needs to be taken with a grain of salt, as it's a little cynical or distilled to where it can be the theme of a Seinfeld episode.

Very interesting.....ever heard of trust?

I could really run with this one, but I'll resist the urge.

Come on, Sobo, please, oh, pretty please, run with this. I'll need something to read this afternoon during naptime ;)

No, you don't need for me to do this.

I don't know why you wouldn't want to climb with your SO. Maybe you guys just don't have good relationship skills or something?

Right. Of course its not because she/he may not be into climbing and he/she may not WANT to climb.

Time apart is just as, if not more, important as time together.

Your post reminds me of a wedding rehearsal dinner I attended recently at a local restaurant where the honored couple seemed inseparable. At one point in the evening the female looked at her male counterpart and said "I am going to the restroom" and which point they both got up and walked away together. When I got up to go to the bathroom myself I saw her fiance hanging around outside the women's restroom. Chivalry or co-dependency?

I see them at the climbing gym from time to time.

thats not actually climbing its more of a social thing so they can say they climb..doesnt really count

I went searching for some further insight to this perplexing issue

Its not perplexing at all..I climb and my SO doesnt need too, in fact I would prefer she doesnt so that I can continue to enjoy my passion with out having to deal with her. It is my time and I would like to keep it that way. I feel sorry for folks who choose not too and I have to listen to them fight over stupid shit.

thankfully my exposure to this crap is limited to my time at the crags which is only early season training.

If you have a girl who you want to spend every waking moment with then have at it..

make sense?

personally I enjoy girls with manicures and pedicures...short skirts and tight jeans..not rough hands, scraped knuckles and mosquito bites

Right. Of course its not because she/he may not be into climbing and he/she may not WANT to climb.

Time apart is just as, if not more, important as time together.

Your post reminds me of a wedding rehearsal dinner I attended recently at a local restaurant where the honored couple seemed inseparable. At one point in the evening the female looked at her male counterpart and said "I am going to the restroom" and which point they both got up and walked away together. When I got up to go to the bathroom myself I saw her fiance hanging around outside the women's restroom. Chivalry or co-dependency?

Kind of ridiculous to give relationship advice in the form of cliches you heard on Oprah to a couple that's been together for several decades, don't you think? The non-sequitor anecdote doesn't help your credibility much either, Dr. Phil.

These two statements, one following the other in their original context -

There were times when I seriously thought about possibly breaking up (usually dumb reasons), but I always needed a climbing partner that weekend, and it held our marriage together.

and, this -

do not square with each other.