patagucci and more

glassgowkiss

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really wanted to be environmental and feel good stuff, buty from St. Vincent De Paul and Goodwill.

Those people who work there really need the jobs. In addition, you buy secondhand and do NOT create a demand that takes as many resources. Sure the stuff is not as good, but hell, people in the 50's were wearing worse stuff than what you find at St. Vincent's and Goodwill.

Do something that matters. The patagucci people live in an expensive area of California. You pay for that.

Outdoor clothing is lighter, cheaper (thanks to the interwebs), and performs better than ever. The market's so glutted nowadays that their's always something on sale, if you're patient. As for fashion, well, considering the sorry appearance of this wearer, that's never been much of a consideration.

As for Patagucchi in particular, they've been overpriced for about 20 years now. Nothing new under the sun.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

You are right. It’s all still marketing. I may well have been sold on the ‘feel good’. Believe me that I’m well aware that all these companies are trying to get me to buy their stuff. I don’t just believe everything I read like the happy little chickens pecking around the yard that provide my supposedly ‘free range’ chicken. Still, I climb and spend most of my free time outside so I need gear. That being said I strongly believe in making an educated choice. Patagonia wins my vote. I don’t shop by price. I shop based on my conscience and from everything I can get my hands on it appears that Patagonia by a long shot does their best to operate in a manner that other companies should emulate.

Someone else mentioned that really doing the right thing would be to buy used. That’s not a bad suggestion and has a lot of truth in it. I typically buy new, though I buy as few things as I feel I really need and use them until they are threadbare and falling apart. Patagonia stuff in my experience lasts a long, long time and is better made than other gear/clothing makers which means less of my time spent pulling out the sewing machine and fixing the stuff. The longer it lasts the less I need to buy and the cheaper it becomes for me and the world. I follow that philosophy with most material things. I bought my vehicle new, take good care of it regardless of expense and it still drives like new at almost 190k. This has nothing to do with being self righteous to justify my buying expensive stuff. If you came over to my place you would quickly realize that I’m not much of a consumer. I’ve practically live like a monk and have slept on the floor since I left my parents house 13 years ago. In fact I typically cut the labels off my gear and make much of my own stuff to begin with. I definitely believe there is too much waste in the world. Part of it is because substandard crap doesn’t last long. Part of it is because people buy too much stuff. I try to do my part. I spend a lot of my time sewing and repairing all my friends gear for free just so that it won’t end up in the dump.

I’ve practically live like a monk and have slept on the floor since I left my parents house 13 years ago.

Right out of high school, before college I lived with my best friend. He was a great guy, but a little odd in his living habits. He owned 1 fork, 1 spoon, 1 butter knife and 1 sharp knife. 1 bowl, 1 sauce pan and 1 fry pan.

He would have cereal OR Cream of Wheat ONLY for breakfast except on Sunday's when he would make scrambled eggs and toast. He worked near by and everyday he would come home for lunch and have a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato OR chicken noodle soup ONLY. For dinner he would have EITHER spaghetti, garlic bread and green beans OR a fried hamburger patty, a roll and green beans, ONLY.

Every night he would drink 12 cans of generic "Beer" at a minimum. Though he never seemed to have anything more than a buzz. He was in bed by 10, EVERYNIGHT.

We shared a large studio-like place. My bed was on one wall and his "bed" which was on the opposite wall, consisted of a wooden frame and his bed roll next to the frame. He never got a mattress for the frame. The frame was of sentimental value but he preferred to sleep on the floor, on his bedroll, right next to the frame.

He was a really good friend though. We had great times together. After a couple of years he ended up going into the Marine Corps, serving a year and getting an honorable discharge for what was diagnosed as flat feet. He committed suicide a year later. I'll always miss that guy.

Outdoor clothing is lighter, cheaper (thanks to the interwebs), and performs better than ever. The market's so glutted nowadays that their's always something on sale, if you're patient. As for fashion, well, considering the sorry appearance of this wearer, that's never been much of a consideration.

As for Patagucchi in particular, they've been overpriced for about 20 years now. Nothing new under the sun.

it scares me when i agree with you :nurd:

i used to think i needed fancy climbing clothes to climb in. now i just where whatever i can find. and *gasp* i even wear cotton and dennim to crag in :moondance:

I'm a rebel