Bunch of climbing gear stolen from my garage

Alpinfox

Last night someone got into my car and used my garage door opener to get into my garage. They stole quite a bit of stuff including my large cragging pack that had about 75% of my rack in it.

If you see any of this stuff on craigslist, yard sales, pawn shops, etc, I'd appreciate it if you would let me know.

Black Diamond Ice pack, ~40L, black/orange/gray, pretty beat

Brand New Lowe Mountain Attack, 30 Hyperlite pack red/gray

Double set of Camalot C4s, 0.5-to-4.0 marked with red tape/fingernail polish

One set aliens blue-to-red, w/red fingernail polish

One set metolius TCUs purple-to-yellow, w/red fingernail polish & tape

A whole shitload of draws (red fingernail polish, tape)

DMM Wallnuts set (red fingernail polish)

A couple small tricams and random hexes

totally beat BD Wizard harness

BD ATC Guide belay device

BD Spot headlamp (brand new)

Patagonia Dragonfly pullover windshirt green

Brand new 5.10 moccasym shoes

Probably a bunch more stuff. Haven't figured it all out yet.

I live in the Lake City Way area.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in hearing from other folks who have had a large amount of gear stolen.

Did your homeowner's or renter's insurance cover everything?

I assume I will have to file a police report before the insurance will pay up. Is that true?

I'm basically looking for any advice about what I should/shouldn't do/say and the order in which I should do things.

You will have to file a police report. then list most if not all of what you had.

I would expect to get canceled a month or two after filing the claim. I was. I was also blacklisted from getting more insurance for about 2 years. This could be a real pain in the ass if you own your own home.

I'm interested in hearing from other folks who have had a large amount of gear stolen.

Did your homeowner's or renter's insurance cover everything?

I assume I will have to file a police report before the insurance will pay up. Is that true?

I'm basically looking for any advice about what I should/shouldn't do/say and the order in which I should do things.

Sorry to hear, Alpinfox. My old neighborhood, too. Well, 30 years ago anyway.

I've had my crag pack/main rack ripped off twice here in the Spokane area, both the only claims I've made through my homeowner's policy. Both times reported to cops, both times I scanned pawn shops and want ads for months but no luck finding any of it.

First in 1992, about $3K from my truck in Mtn Gear's parking lot, by some gang-bang-wannabe's who had no clue about climbing. Exactly 3 weeks before a big trip to the Valley. Insurance cut a check for the whole thing, no questions asked, and I had almost everything replaced before the big trip.

Second time about 3 years ago right at Minnehaha with about 50 folks around, more than $4K worth including wedding ring. A couple teenage punks who had been hanging around watching for the previous hour. This time the same insurance company, Unigard, made me purchase first then reimbursed after I produced receipts. I was treated like dishonest scum, given a big run-around, and lied to. After given advice by the company about my claim and told it wouldn't raise my rates or policy wouldn't be changed, the fuckers then immediately raised my rates significantly and wanted me to sign a new policy.

I've since discovered it helps to have friends inside the insurance industry who can give realistic, good advice rather than be lied to and given the corporate hot poker up the ass.

Hope you catch the bastards and your insurance company treats you right.

Edited to add: For my most recent claim for any item that was older than new, the insurance company wanted to pro-rate and only partially reimburse. They did finally fully reimburse, but only after much back-and-forth. Avoid the BS and just say everthing was fairly new.

Edited by pindude

Thanks very much for the advice.

Police report is filed.

Phone interview with insurance company tomorrow.

It's a very good company (USAA) so I think I'll do OK. I've heard that some companies have a limit on reimbursement by categories ($5K for computers/electronics, $5K for "sporting goods", etc.) so I'm hoping that isn't going to be be the case for USAA since my loss is pretty much entirely "sporting goods".

Thanks very much for the advice.

Police report is filed.

Phone interview with insurance company tomorrow.

It's a very good company (USAA) so I think I'll do OK. I've heard that some companies have a limit on reimbursement by categories ($5K for computers/electronics, $5K for "sporting goods", etc.) so I'm hoping that isn't going to be be the case for USAA since my loss is pretty much entirely "sporting goods".

I've got USAA, and although I've never filed a homeowners claim, they've been amazing to deal with the 3 times my car stereo has been stolen.

Tell them your a trad climber. ;)

Sorry to hear about your gear loss and best of luck to you in the reimbursement efforts. :tup:

Alpinfox, If you don't mind, please post the results.

I have USAA as well, and while I pray I never have to file a claim, I'd love to know how you're treated.

Sorry for the shitty deal of having your stuff swiped in the first place.

It's a very good company (USAA)

USAA is pretty good. However, they will fuck you in the ass (just like everyother ins.co.) if your house gets destroyed by a hurricane. They also attempt all sorts of duchebaggery if you are an LMP/PT/DC trying to collect on a PIP claim.

I have USAA also and have been really happy with them. One thing to keep in mind however is that if you have a life insurance policy with them as well as homeowners, and you report climbing equipment being stolen, and they aren't aware that you are a climber, it may jeopardize your life insurance policy. At the very least it may tip them off to review your policy and raise your rates.

• 6 months later...

Results:

The total value of all the stuff stolen came to about $5000 retail.

Here is a quote from the USAA website:

100% replacement value when your things are stolen, damaged or destroyed

They asked me to list when I bought the gear (presumably so they could calculate depreciated value? WTF?)

They ended up cutting a check for about ~$2500.

I was pissed. I've argued to no avail.

Fuck USAA.

Hmmmm, USAA is THE best insurance company on the planet so I wouldn't diss them too hard. Times have possibly changed from the sound of it though. When my gear was lifted from my car in the early 90's USAA asked how much it would cost to replace it and I told them $2400 which arrived three days later without any listing of the gear whatsoever.

Yeah, looks like I got the "hey, you get prodeal/brodeal/dealmeister prices on all your shiz anyhoo, so we ain't payin YOU retail" treatment.

USAA has been a pleasure to deal with for every other issue I've ever had with insurance, but I'm pretty pissed on this deal.

The way I figure, they owe me $2500.