Bunch of climbing gear stolen from my garage

Alpinfox

I think your case might be standard. I just dealt with a trail head theft with Statefarm and they have the same 100% replacement value clause. The first check they send coveres the depreciated value and then if you choose to replace the stuff you just send the receipts and they send you a check for the difference. It worked no prob for me. I have no love for insurance companies but they are just making sure they don’t send you retail value and then have you go out and buy all the shit on sale and pocket the rest. You are entitled to get all your crap back brand new and the policy will cover that. You are not necessarily entitled to a pocket of cash equal to the full new value of the stuff. Doesn’t seem so unreasonable.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, looks like I got the "hey, you get prodeal/brodeal/dealmeister prices on all your shiz anyhoo, so we ain't payin YOU retail" treatment.

USAA has been a pleasure to deal with for every other issue I've ever had with insurance, but I'm pretty pissed on this deal.

The way I figure, they owe me $2500.

what was your deductible?

I talked to USAA about some other matters today, but coverage beyond very basic limits on computers and jewelry both require additional coverage attached to your policy - at least renters, anyway. Those coverages can be quoted at pretty much any additional amount want covered.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Sucks is an understatement here.

I have been with USAA for about 20 years (sigh) and have always found them very responsive and easy to deal with. I did take out an additional rider (sp?) for my climbing gear since after insuring wedding rings, silver, etc, it seemed to make sense to pay a little additional to make sure I had FULL coverage for $5K+ worth of gear. I think it costs me about $75-100 year for this rider.

I make sure to document via pics my rack and other gear at least 1x or 2x year so I have "proof" of what I own if something should happen.

I don't have life insurance with them so I think the advice to heed mixing climbing gear with life insurance may be good, but have no proof one way or the other.

• 5 years later...

If anyone knows Alpinefox, nudge him awake to look at this soon. Auction closes in @11 hours. I have to put this long shot out there. Most likely not his gear, but I remember when I had my tools stolen out of my locked canopy on my truck, I forgot to list a bunch of stuff with my insurance folks.....and realized it the first time I needed my tape measure:-)

It doesn't match up exactly, but it's been 4 or 5 years. Has the requisite Red Tape and red fingernail polish and the person admittedly doesn't know gear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ICE-CLIMBING-LARGE-LOT-Screws-Cams-Carabiners-Black-Diamond-Trango-Petzyl-ROCK-/251231169558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7e8b6c16

Says:

"Large miscellaneous about 40-50 pieces. A few maybe new, most used.

About 7 cams

11 Screws

12 cable tethered Wedges

Wedges

Tethers

Carabiners

and other assorted tackle items as shown.

Not an expert in this field. Will attempt to answer reasonable questions."

Bunch of photos, I'll post 2. Note red fingernail polish on the Red Metolius cam?

9035DEA5E8574E53906F0AD3CC20AE1F.jpg

[img:left]http://img2.iwascoding.com/0/2013/02/18/6E/541357A07E214A48A480F1B204E1629D.jpg[/img]

and another one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ICE-ROCK-CLIMBING-Med-LOT-Wedges-Floats-Cams-Carabiners-Alein-Yates-USHBA-B-D-/290868019758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b915c22e

Titled

"ICE ROCK CLIMBING -Med. LOT-Wedges Floats Cams Carabiners-Alein Yates USHBA B.D. "

More of the same.

29BA0C5D16ED46A18631F25B0E540C09.jpg

43C7BD244FD942F1BE3F81C48E59E8EF.jpg

3F561C298E704201847FD17A05420335.jpg

4253F7ADE2754C458BF6A03E6D8F20AA.jpg

But you don't mention having any ice tools lifted. This guy has 3 Grivels for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRIVEL-CLIMBING-PAIR-ICE-AXES-Shovel-Hammer-Cascade-Italy-Steel-Head-20x10-/290865738559?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b8f2f33f

$T2eC16VHJHIE9nyseFWgBRI,TVuFsg~~60_3.JPG