Perfect lenght for a route?

Peter_Puget

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume we're talking about cragging, because I think most of us would agree that we'd be talking about different numbers if discussing traditional cragging, aid climbing, ice climbing, mountain climbing, or ski mountaineering, or whatever. For me, even cragging is largely about getting off the ground and thus I'd say a "perfect" length is at least three pitches, and maybe three to five pitches for a challenging crag climb.

Here's a perfect crag (Bon Echo): 162706-largest_38209.jpg

and another(gunks):

foto1.jpg

and another:(Lover's Leap)

105856240_medium_af71cf.jpg

and another (Verdon):

rimg0111small.jpg

This last one is perhaps MOST perfect. You drop in from the top and are instantly 1,000 feet off the deck. The climbing is absolutely fantastic, quite safe, challenging as all hell, and the place accommodates climbers of all skill level. Add to that a plentiful supply quite decent table wine at a reasonable price, an ancient village with a wrecked castle on a hilltop not far away, and a sunny climate. You can have a most excellent time there with your fiance or your hard core rock fiend.

Two days.

Will you describe how tall "two days" is? Thanks.

would that be about 1200 meters? 20 pitches give or take.

I suppose that is relative. I have climbed a couple of 18 pitch climbs in 6 or 7 hours……the nose is 35 pitches and has been done in under 2 hours…..just to keep it in perspective.

When I am out climbing 10 pitches or more, is what I want. If it is cragging then 3 is good, it gets you high enough for some exposure, but low enough to get several climbs in.

70m length ropes are perfect, I love them for linking pitches on longer climbs.