Leavenworth Trad Ethics

Blake

I was at some crags in Tumwater canyon yesterday for the first time (Clem's/Special spot/etc) and noticed lots of bolts right next to cracks. This is not a sport climbing area, and many of the routes required bringing gear along to protect parts of the climb anyways, so people really wont be up there with just QDs.

Why are these bolts there, 1' or less from totally safe gear placements?

Climbs like Gun Rack, the Javelin, Perils of Pauline, and a cfew others could safely be no-bolts, or with just one or two bolts near the top-out, past where cracks run out.

I understand having two bolts at the top of the Javelin, to protect the thin/flexy flake, but all bolts below that were clipped while jamming hands in fingers in perfect splitter cracks!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blake, if you don't put in lots of bolts (on rappell) and next to cracks then no one will no you were there and you can't get into the guidebooks and look cool for the mass hordes of 5.9 weekend warriors. While your at it, its also fashionable to clean up some overgrown boulders that generations of climbers have climbed before you, claim first ascent, give the boulder and your "new" problem some shnazzy name and write your own guide book about it. Happy times!

Why are these bolts there, 1' or less from totally safe gear placements?

Climbs like Gun Rack, the Javelin, Perils of Pauline, and a few others could safely be no-bolts, or with just one or two bolts near the top-out, past where cracks run out.

Add them to the list.

22850096.jpg

And a bolted crack as the guidebook cover shot.

That is Javelin 5.10-

You would need some big gear to protect that climb.

There is also some stuff on Duty Dome - Straight Street and uhh.. that other 5.9 to the right of Off Duty.

Edited by fenderfour

As far as the Javelin, you can protect it very safely with a single set of cams up to a #4 camalot. The #4 goes in near the top, and as long as the flake didn't break in the event of a fall, you'd be fine. I didn't take issue with that top thin-flake-protecting bolt so much as all the other very useless bolts below.

Even if the flake is not safe for pro, there should be only a couple bolts on there.

I'm all for the bolted cracks in question. I say keep those routes the way they are.

There are better adventures on the other side of the river if you are against bolts. There are plenty of routes with no bolts for bold trad climbers like yourself. Take Recurve and Jupiter Tower for instance.

I also suggest that you quit reading Viktor's guidebook to increase your boldness. Also you shouldn't climb with a rope. Better yet, no shoes either. No chalk....Just solo everything nude. That should get you recognized.

The people who put up those routes gave up time, effort and money to do so. Respect their views, put up your own routes and I'm sure they will respect yours. If we all agreed on style, every route would be done the same way, and I think the world would be poorer for it. Vive le diffrance!

we might do better to think in terms of "fashion" rather than "ethics" forty years ago, when I started climbing, bolted free-climbs were not "fashionable". now they are. if you don't like the bolts, don't use 'em. its all about FUN, right? loosen up and have some (fun, I mean...) - if the routes aren't interesting enough or hard enough for you, try climbing them in alpine boots with a thirty-pound pack - preferably in a blizzard, and without the bolts, of course...

There are tons of bolted climbs that are too hard or too "bold" for me, and Peter_Puget is right, Perils of Pauline with NO bolts would be rather runout. I just thought it was strange for so many climbs in a trad area to featured bolted cracks. I'm not trying to get recognized Tony, I'm surely not the first person to notice this.

Respect their views, put up your own routes and I'm sure they will respect yours.

That's some nice happy My Little Pony shit, but the truth is that many of the 11worth rap bolters and pad people don't respect the climbs and routes put up by climbers from prior generations.

That's some nice happy My Little Pony shit, but the truth is that many of the 11worth rap bolters and pad people don't respect the climbs and routes put up by climbers from prior generations.

I'm not sure that statement couldn't apply to virtually every "generation" of climbers since about the time of the first ascent of Mont Blanc.

Perils would be pretty bold without any bolts..if I remember correctly.

As would Straight Street...if I remember correctly.

No. there is a splitter crack full of dirt and bushes up the middle of the lower slab. There are a couple of places cleared for holds. Up higher the crack in the dihedral peters out for about 10 feet, then comes back at fingers.