Mind Fuck

cj001f

Or, how do you stop that voice in your head from going to Big screaming and incapacitating. I can't take exposure of any kind. Anything but solid firm granite. Nasty big hardon producing Indo waves over shallow coral do me in to.

there, I said it.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's a bunch of things you can do:

first off, at the first sign of panic or fear learn how to repress that shit, breath, realize that no matter what, you proabaly are going to have to make the moves in front of you, and if you let fear take over, there going to be 10x harder

read arno illgner's book, "the rock warriors way", kinda cheesy but some good stuff in there.

go get on the steepest most exposed thing you can and try to get a little desensisitized.

go aid climbing, nothing like a row of rusty copperheads to make that 00 tcu feel solid.

i find a little internal mantra to help on scary terrain:

"i'm the man, i'm the shit, its all good, here we go, im the man"

climbing is so mental, its a barrier i keep having to confront as i continue to push my climbing abilities.

Early on, I compartmentalized the fear by carving out a space for it in my brain. I envisioned placing it my back pocket. Really cheezy, but somehow it freed up the rest of my brain to deal with the task at hand. Eventually, fear of exposure shrunk, until it was replaced by the more rational concerns: blocky terrain, loose rock, etc.

Now I just look down at the swallows flying far below and think "That's cool".

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

I will face my fear.

Only I will remain.

wait for my brother baron!

Dont look down.

If your leash is getting caught in the coral, shorten your leash.

If the coral is being sucked dry before your eyes as the swell breaks....well, theres no ignoring that.

Contrary to what folks may tell you, that coral is soft and caressing to the skin when you get spun through it. Really. Nothing to worry about anyway :tup: Keep your head in the game.

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

I will face my fear.

Only I will remain.

wait for my brother baron!

Blessed is the Maker and His water.

Dont think you can do "away with your fear" for starts.

I like to use fear to my advantage. It keeps me vigilant about watching out for bad things coming before they may. I channel it to give energy and focus on being efficient. When you epic enough to learn what kind of shit is headed towards fan, you will have a great experince base and have some peace in the knowledge that it would take a fluke to bring you down.

Oh yeah , and dont be a pussy.

I've been a member for a long time. I just replied today 'cause I was so disgusted with your guys antics. I thought it was a climbing site with useful information. I often log on just read what's going on. And you're always bashing some thing or some body!

Last year, my partner and I were looking for information on Liberty Ridge. We came to this site and we were told that 'maybe the routes too big for us and we should find a littler mountain.' So put that in your Birkenstock and smoke it!!!!!!!!!!!!!