Fluoride Good,Bad Why?

layton

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in a similar boat as Pink. Grew up back east, in my early 30s and have never had one single cavity. Won't attribute it to good genes, because both of my parents have a ton of them from their childhood, pre-fluoridation. I whole-heartedly believe that fluoridated water is the reason, as I was a terrible brusher of teeth as a child and ate a ton of candy. I did drink a rediculous amount of milk though.......

People against fluoridated water are idiots who have no basis for argument over ill effects. I'd much rather drink fluoridated water from Mt. Hood then treated, heavily chlorinated water from, say Houston or Miami....

OK flouride experts, how about answering some questions.

1) Almost all toothpaste contains flouride. Isn't that good enough?

2) Assuming that the benefit of flouride comes from the systemic injestion of it, and not just the coating from water on the teeth, isn't it probable that some people who drink a LOT of water will have exessive, possible non-beneficial amounts of flouride in their system? Kids don't drink much water, but what about the athletes, marathoners, etc, who drink a gallon or more a day?

3) Kids don't drink water, they drink pop, juice, chocolate milk, whatever. Do we really think they will injest enough flouride this way, over brushing?

4) What about cost. Isn't it quite expensive to flouridate water? You know, most of that flouride goes down the drain in toilets and showers which is certainly a waste. Not to mention flouidating our aquifer.

I've got to go brush my teeth now.

Google flouridation and you'll come up with a bunch of websites outlining the many adverse health affects of flouridation, and the lack of evidence that it helps prevent tooth decay.

Personally, I prefer to take responsibility for my own chemical injestion and health rather than trust government, thank you very much.

Google flouridation and you'll come up with a bunch of websites outlining the many adverse health affects of flouridation, and the lack of evidence that it helps prevent tooth decay.

Personally, I prefer to take responsibility for my own chemical injestion and health rather than trust government, thank you very much.

You'll probably also find websites that say dioxin isn't bad for you and that global warming is a myth......

Why would the American Dental Association advocate for flouridation when it's not in their economic interests to do so?

Please reply without using the word 'conspiracy'.

I'm a cancer survivor, and when you are diagnosed with cancer at 23 years old you start wondering why... The books I read brought it to my attention that flouride is extremely toxic, that's why you are not supposed to swallow your toothpaste... That's my not-so-great contribution to the subject. All I know is there are reasons why the rates of cancer in this country are unheard of in all other areas of the world.

I went to all organic food about 5 years ago and feel better for it. In addition to not eating anything that comes in a box, or manufactured by multinational companies, I read the labels very carefully. Basically if I can't pronunce the ingredient I dont want to eat it.

Conventional skin cream, shampoo, deodorants and toothpaste also have a myriad of known carcinogens in them and should be avoided.

I also do a daily detoxification program by taking concentrated "greens" that helps to eliminate any junk that gets through.

If you're unlucky enough to have chlorine in your tap water, every time you take a hot shower you get to breath in chlorine vapor. Super toxic.

I believe over the course of many years all this chemical ingestion cannot be good for you and builds up to a point that cancers are created.

Of course after all this I could get run over by a bus tomorrow and it wouldn't matter....

Oh yeah, don't cook in non-stick or aluminum pans either!

I went to all organic food about 5 years ago and feel better for it. In addition to not eating anything that comes in a box, or manufactured by multinational companies, I read the labels very carefully. Basically if I can't pronunce the ingredient I dont want to eat it.

Conventional skin cream, shampoo, deodorants and toothpaste also have a myriad of known carcinogens in them and should be avoided.

I also do a daily detoxification program by taking concentrated "greens" that helps to eliminate any junk that gets through.

If you're unlucky enough to have chlorine in your tap water, every time you take a hot shower you get to breath in chlorine vapor. Super toxic.

I believe over the course of many years all this chemical ingestion cannot be good for you and builds up to a point that cancers are created.

Of course after all this I could get run over by a bus tomorrow and it wouldn't matter....

Oh yeah, don't cook in non-stick or aluminum pans either!

Fookin hippie.....but actually is a good idea.

Edited by kevbone

Can fluoridated water cause cancer?

The possible relationship between fluoridated water and cancer has been debated at length. The debate resurfaced in 1990 when a study by the National Toxicology Program, part of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, showed an increased number of osteosarcomas (bone tumors) in male rats given water high in fluoride for 2 years (3). However, other studies in humans and in animals have not shown an association between fluoridated water and cancer (4).

In a February 1991 Public Health Service (PHS) report, the agency said it found no evidence of an association between fluoride and cancer in humans. The report, based on a review of more than 50 human epidemiological (population) studies produced over the past 40 years, concluded that optimal fluoridation of drinking water “does not pose a detectable cancer risk to humans” as evidenced by extensive human epidemiological data reported to date (4).

In one of the studies reviewed for the PHS report, scientists at the National Cancer Institute evaluated the relationship between the fluoridation of drinking water and the number of deaths due to cancer in the United States during a 36-year period, and the relationship between water fluoridation and number of new cases of cancer during a 15-year period. After examining more than 2.2 million cancer death records and 125,000 cancer case records in counties using fluoridated water, the researchers found no indication of increased cancer risk associated with fluoridated drinking water (5).

In 1993, the Subcommittee on Health Effects of Ingested Fluoride of the National Research Council, part of the National Academy of Sciences, conducted an extensive literature review concerning the association between fluoridated drinking water and increased cancer risk. The review included data from more than 50 human epidemiological studies and six animal studies. The Subcommittee concluded that none of the data demonstrated an association between fluoridated drinking water and cancer (5). A 1999 report by the CDC supported these findings. The report concluded that studies to date have produced “no credible evidence” of an association between fluoridated drinking water and an increased risk for cancer (2).

Moto, Congratws on being a survivor! Not to sound harsh, but you know as well as anyone that your cancer cannot be directly attributed to the fluoridation in your water. Where did you live? Were you ever around smokers? Spend too much time in the sun? genetics? There are a thousand freak things of why you contracted cancer and no way to prove it was from fluoridated water, so stop suggesting unless definitive.

Tvashtarkatena, I would gladly take a tall glass of fluoridated water. Bring it on. It is not harmful, is why tooth decay in children in fluoridated areas is much less than those in areas without fluoridated water, and why over 66% of every US Citizen drinks fluoridated water and 75% of every major city's municipal supply is fluoridated. The American Dental Societ recommends it, it is a naturally occurring substance in your drinking water already (except some bottled waters)and has been proven time and time again to prevent tooth decay. There has never been any definitive proof that fluoridated water has ever caused any healdth effects in a population. if it did , it would not be as popular. As for cost, to fluoridate water costs a measly 0.31 cents/person/year. A family of four will shell out only $1.20/year vs. a child getting one cafvity (without insurance) and you will be shelling out $300/filling. Not to mention the long-term effects for dental care.

Also, instead of reading the Wacko conspiracy theory websites on this subject from some unqualified individuals, look for the straight facts and official studies that have been conducted. Also check out Wiki for unbiased info.

Bottom line, Millions of people used fluoridated water, it occurs naturally, is found in all municipal sources naturally, and is even in bottled water to purchase, which hats also been found to be bad for teeth, becasue fluoride is removed durin the purification process. I find it funny that people will cut on something so scientifically proven as healthy and then turn around and eat processed foods and drink sodas consisting of straight sugar, or light up a cigarrette.......

Edited by ryland_moore

Have yourselves a nice, tall, cool glass of flouride and let me know how you feel afterwards.

It's well known toxicity is hardly a conspiracy theory.

I prefer only two chemicals in my water: Hydrogen and Oxygen.

Hey buddy, snort a tall cool glass of chloride too while you're at it. Then never eat TABLE SALT again!

Where did you get it that the rates of cancer in this country are unheard of in all other areas of the world? You can check out the cancer death rates for 50 countries throughout the world here

table (pt 1)

table (pt 2)

You'll see that the death rates in the US are by no means "unheard" of elsewhere.

I think carcinogens in the air and water due to pollution are a lot more worrisome than fluoridation (check out the liver cancer rate in China in that table!)

I don't think fluoride in toothpaste is sufficient for children. Children do not do a good job of brushing their teeth. If you are a parent you'll know how difficult it is to brush your children's teeth twice a day from age 0 to age 5. Holy crap! Can anybody actually do that? Systemic fluoride is thought to be beneficial by strengthening teeth prior to eruption.

When I was a kid there used to be Crest ads with kids returning from the dentist and celebrating magnificently because they only had ONE cavity. Nowadays, if you have one cavity in your mouth you are considered to be in the high-risk group and a candidate for more extensive treatments (like fluoride varnish, i.e. painting your teeth fluoride!).

when you are diagnosed with cancer at 23 years old you start wondering why...

Anyone who ever has anything bad happen to them wonders why, and often the second thought is "who can I blame?" This "fluoride is bad for you" is voodoo science. Just like power lines and cancer: no matter how many studies fail to find a correlation, some people will still believe the high voltage towers are why junior had to go through chemo.

Man, where is catbirdseat when you need him??

Have yourselves a nice, tall, cool glass of flouride and let me know how you feel afterwards.

It's well known toxicity is hardly a conspiracy theory.

You can't really have a glass of fluoride... fluoride is a negative ion that forms salts with positive ions. When it's in water it's part of a dissolved compound like sodium fluoride.

To be clear, we are not talking about the element fluorine, which is a gas at room temperature and is indeed very toxic. The chemical properties of fluorine and fluoride are very different.

Anyway, maybe you know something I don't, please educate me about the well-known toxicity of fluoride.