laptop advice

minx

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I own a Dell Latitude D505 and the screen has gone out twice now in the last 2 years. The first time everything went dim and the second time the hinge broke off and the screen wouldn't work. luckily I payed extra to receive a 2 year warrenty on ANYTHING that broke on the comp no questions asked... including if i dropped it (which i have not yet). The warrenty has been my saving grace, as screens for this laptop are $1,600.

...not lap dance advice. since i don't spend anytime on computer/tech/nerd websites, i thought i'd ask a bunch of climbers.

looking to buy a new laptop. don't want to spend a lot of money on it. doesn't need to have a lot of highend features. any suggestions on inexpensive laptops/places to buy one?

i am not going to buy a dell.

I was told by an independent repairman that Dells are the easiest to fix; they come apart quickly, parts are easily replaced. They're designed to be fixed at your home, rather than sent into a repair shop in some other state, or even overseas.

That said, I've been recommended mostly to Toshibas; we bought one six months ago, and thus far, it's rock solid. It's much faster than our new-ish Dell PC, and has had no issues; our Dell has had two motherboards replaced, and still doesn't run right. But, anyone can end up with a lemon...

• 1 month later...

My son bought the extended Applecare warrenty for a used 40gb ipod he bought from a kid who got 2 for Christmas. We have been to the store and it has been replaced 7 times. We schedule an appoint on the computer, walk in 2 min in advance, the genius checks it out, trades ipods and we walk out with a new one.

Shit is great for a 15-16 year old who wants to take the damn thing skateboarding and snowboarding.

That being said, second son is an Apple fanatic, but I couldn't go for the big bucks for the Apple when #1 daughter moved to college, she got the $500 special. Toshiba rules.

I have not forgiven Dell for the no lubrication small print ass-fuc*king we got when I bought the company server from them. Turns out they had fu*ked with it so we couldn't load our paid up viable Windows 2000 pro on the machine for an OS, and had to buy MS server 2003. Fuc* them. Never again.

BTW, my buddy had a paid-for good copy of server 2003 so we skated around the $800 operating system fee or whatever the hell they wanted when I traded him a shotgun for the OS.

The previous 2 Dells we had bought seemed to have funny little issues too.

Fu*k Dell.

HP makes awesome stuff too IMO for MS stuff.

I didn't buy Dell, because I have witnessed firsthand many hard drive failures sometimes accompanied by major data loss. Instead I bought a HP. Couple of weeks ago, exactly one month after the warranty expired, my hard drive failed. Luckily everything was backed up. You never can win... Next computer will definitely be an Apple. There are just so many networking issues with Windows and they always seem to have problems.

We have Dell desk and laptops for work, and I have one at home. Never had a serious problem, but I'm no power user. I think Dell is ok for standard stuff, but Toshiba seems to offer more inovative options these days. I did get my daughter a Dell laptop a year ago for school and it seems to do the job.

Computers suck. Do not get emotionally involved with any brand. Get the cheapest thing that works for you. I personally crank through IBM Thinkpads off ebay with great abandon because I tend to destroy them fairly quickly. I get Thinkpads because I do alot of MS-oriented development, I happen to like the trackpoint mouse feature, and also the "Ultrabay" slot that lets me alternately use it for a second hard drive or battery. Getting them off ebay way works for me, but I have a fair understanding of both ebay and computers to get away with this approach.

In general, everyone should have a 1-4gb USB drive for their notebook, keep all your stuff in one root folder and back it up relentlessly. My desktops and servers all run on mirrored hard drives as I never trust a single drive of any make for any reason. Actually I run them with two sets of mirrored hard drives - one set for the operating system and program files and one for data files.