My very un-extreme hobby

lancegranite

Hiding from the oh-so very miserable weather that plauges sin city every summer, I return to my only inside hobby... building 1/48 scale model aircraft.

I admit it, a total geek pursuit.

Things were not supposed to turn out this way, I usually carefully maintain my devil-may-care, extreme manboy pursuits: cliff crawling, multigear hill biking, trolling storm tossed waters for stripers, rush hour commuting... ect.

Wandering through the local craft store with Mrs. G, I stumbled across the model section.

My eyes feasted on snazzy hot rods, elegant multi masted sailing ships and of course, fearsome military aircraft.

The near infinate paint selection made me dizzy with consumer delirum.... this was better than new cams!

I beg to be allowed to spend my allowance on a F/A-18... she rolls her eyes and relents to my infallable logic, "it's only $15.00, a cheap hobby that cannot possibly make you a widow"

Nearly 20 very small (and not so small) aircraft now patrol the skies of our modest home.

Spitfires, Tomcats, Apaches, Zeros, Mitchells, Sabres, Hueys, Phantoms and too many number/ letter jobs to count.

Opening a dining room cubbard, my wife asks if I'm going to do something with the sleek (if slightly dusty) F-15C that perches on her good china like a hawkish silver gargoyle...

"careful with that" I warn..."it was $15.00"

Time to come clean folks... What's your most hidden bastion of childish geekdom?

583780-Boy%2520with%2520model%2520plane.jpg

5a1a55e1aad1d_583780-Boy20with20model20plane.jpg.cc43652ab73c81be9c7a73de5a252e60.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

knotzen--you are not the only denizen of knitting on this board. there's another cc.com poster who knits (no...it's not me!) i've completely failed as a domestic goddess.

geeky hobbies include but are not limited to horses, spending to much time reading about my work (science is cool) and the NYT sunday crossword. damn i'm a dork cry.gif

your humble reveal is wicked funny. "...cliff crawling, multigear hill biking...rush hour commuting..." grin.gif.

at the risk of showing the softer side, i bashfully admit to the following: bread baking - the braided & sculpted stuff you know; knitting - woolen socks; greeting card design, manufacture & sales; dog apparel, design & manufacture. but quite honestly, it's tough to fit much of these hobbies in anymore.

however, come winter we could form a cosy little stitch 'n bitch club for all the knitters. 'splains why we like rope work, don't it?

I own a kitchenaid mixer (pro-600 model) and a sewing machine with 140 stitches. I spend weeks on end perfecting pizza doughs and pasta... I make fuzzy fleece blankets for my friends pets..

DSC00589.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

and of course... photography.. wink.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif And of course drinking a fine complimentary wine to the meals I make.