another bolting ethics question/topic

Do the bolts abstruct the holds at the top? Are they realy doing anyone any harm? Not including ego! 15 feet is far enough to fall and get hurt. Starting a war over a piece of rock is counter productive. Maybe trying to find the person and disscusing it might be the best approch. They did not acctually retro a route, since the only way to climb the route is to solo it. No one owns the rock. It is a hard call.

Natural anchors are abundent... trees and such, these people could have been creative with 30ft of webbing instead they broke out the drill. Oh and the 15ft problem, is seriously like 5.8!!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea. Seems like it's been about 5 years now. I don't know who's putting them in either. I saw a poster named Motomajik on the other thread say his friends put in a couple of bolts which lasted 2 days, but I don't think I know him or his friends.

I still meet strangers out there who say they've been climbing there for like 15 years and I've never even layed eyes on them. The place is stange that way.

Guess I need to get out more. grin.gif

What do you say to Corvallis BTW?

Being familiar with the route you schpeek of, CHOP IT! it is an easy highball that has no need for a bolt. there is enough moss piled at the bottom to pad any fall from the top anyway. Save the hanger for a real route!

wait acctually its 10 ft, thats not even the one your thinking of ian. fuck em they got to chop, was wet though so no epoxy in the holes yet. it was obvious they where hand drilled by noobs, they craterd the shit out of the holes. and after all whod place a rawl 5p and a fixe wedge for an anchor?

and after all whod place a rawl 5p and a fixe wedge for an anchor?

Am I missing something? What's wrong with that? We frequently mix up 1/2", 3/8", 5- piece, wedge, buttonheads, pins, zinc plated, stainless, etc. I see no problem with it as long as it's solid. It certainly doesn't guarantee they didn't know what they were doing.

i have no good answer about chopping the bolts. my first thought would be to leave them, and find out who's bolting the boulder problems.

but, bolts lead to more bolts! BUT, chopping leads to more chopping; it's a double edged sword.

when did 15ft become high ball? who bolts this stuff?

i dunno, but i've seen a lot of clipsticks shorter than 15ft. [and used em too]

this is true, but, what does it have to do with adding bolts to the top of 15ft, 5.8 boulder problems?

well, people are talking crap about 15ft not being a highball - ie - nothing to worry about falling from. bolts atop that 15ft is like protecting the first moves of a sport route...as far as safety goes. wave.gif