Losing Weight

Bill: here are some things you should try-

1) do your cardio in the morning, since its such a short bike to work I doubt that will be enough, the goal is to have >20mins of constant cardio, so maybe you could run to work, or take your scenic route. Doing cardio in the morning kickstarts your metabolism & gives it more time to burn calories throughout the day & continue into the night rather than doing it at night when it has much less time to run, since metabolism slows down throughout the night.

2) Instead of eating 3 meals a day try & eat 6 smaller ones throughout the day - this is a key part & what pro fighters & other athletes do to keep their weight down. Its hard, but if you make yourself two lunches or something & eat them that is good - also, green foods are really good for you, try & add more. goto http://www.randycouture.tv, click on news then articles, he has a good diet that he used to drop from heavyweight to LHW.

3) This is good suggestion I've heard, try & just cut one thing out of your diet for a week, such as no bread for a week & see what it will do for you, or no bleached pasta, mainly looking to cut a big carb food out for a week & see how that works.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i sympathize! i'm the "slimmest" one in my family; but still too curvy for ease of climbing. i hoped that climbing mountains would help me shed some wt., but ironically, i gained 30lbs at one point! one rationale compared me to hockey players, suggesting that winter atheletes tend to keep the extra padding. but mostly, i think i've just ended up with fat genes....sorry, not what you wanted to hear. but again, i sure sympathize!

Edited by luwayo

Another thing to think about is that when you start to train really hard your body craves food. I have found that it is easier for me to gain weight when i am lifting a lot and doing cardio because i crave food a lot more. 6 meals a day is definaly the way to go. It keeps you a lot leaner then if you ate the same amount of calories over three meals. Also if it is too hard to not eat the snack food dont buy it. Sometimes the best way to lose weight is by not giving yourslef the option to indulge.

Absolute weight matters in climbing.

Well you can always make like Hugh Herr and lose 20 pounds (but no bicep strength) by cutting your own legs off below the knee, the amputee way to one arm pullups, plus you get to use a rack of different sized feet for different cracks.

My father has diabetes, maybe I should look into it more.

Thanks.

Oh, yeah, that's really important. It depends, though; it can be genetic, or induced by being obese. At 215, you're not obese (unless you have a really thin "frame" underneath); if your father doesn't mind, and has a blood sugar monitor, you might want to check yourself out next time you get a chance. Your result should be somewhere between 65-110. And, try it after you've been sleeping overnight, or gone a good eight hours since eating. That's when the most accurate result is...your "fasting blood sugar level."

I'm 32 now, and I've kept off 55 pounds that I managed to lose 10 years ago. Takes work, and I get tired of having a semi-strict diet to do it, but I'm glad I do it.

I'm from the Over 40 group. I've lost weight recently. I am lighter than I have been any time since High School. I did it by ensuring that I got some sort of excercise every day. I run 4 miles every other day. On days I don't run, I walk for an hour and I climb for two hours in the gym or outside, if possible.

I've cut back on sweets and breads, but I always have breakfast. Never skip breakfast, it just makes you hungrier and more likely to eat junk or over eat at lunch time. I've found that eggs for breakfast two or three times a week is much better than cereal for losing weight.

"At 215, you're not obese (unless you have a really thin "frame" underneath); "

I'm not even fat! i have a large frame underneath. At 190 lbs, I looks like I'm on crack. Once, when I was 185, my friends would ask if I was sick because my me neck was so skinny. Speaking of crack, maybe if I lost 20 pounds, I could get out of the ass jams easier:

3050P10100011-med.JPG

you know i realy apriciate all the cander here. I have been realizing that i have to do something to get off my winter 10. I am a totla junk food junky and i have a realy hard time not eating sweets. but that is the 10 pounds right there. I have lost it before and i shall again, i just need to go back to reading labels and not eating sweets. If i rememeber corectly it is the first cupple of weeks that is the hardest. (sigh) it seems like i have always had to watch my weight and watch what i eat. I fall off the wagon from time to time and then struggle my way back to trying to eat reasonably.

cool.gif

it's all about timing. shit bill eating @9 pm mack and cheese won't help you to lose weight. diets suck as they are not sustainable.

also excercise- you'll need heart rate monitor. if your heart rate is too high you excercise un-aerobically, hence you are not burning fat.

by no means i am qualified to advise people in this subject matter. this is what i know:

-no meals after 6 or 7 pm. maybe a very light snack (like some fruit)

-not enough fruit and veggies in the "diet"

-too low water intake

-diets suck- you can eat all, but moderation is the key. portions in the US/Canada are fucking huge. and what they are made off. something like a latte' and a muffin will ring up around 1000 calories. quality vs quantity. americans stuff their fat asses with a bunch of tasteless crap and then the wonder why you are THE FATTEST SOCIETY on the face of the planet!

as far as video game all i can say is "i told you so". they are stupid and they waste a lot of time.

the best way is to sit down with nutrinionist and figure it out.

btw, i see a lot of naked bodies almost every day and i must say this is scary! i would estimate about 70% of people are overweight. and look at the numbers. so someone at 6 ft 2 inches 190 lbs is most likely border line. for an athlete 6-10% body fat is what it should be.

also you should not loose more then a couple of pounds per week.

oh bill, here is a link: http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm . so even @190 lbs you would be at upper level of "normal" (and remember what normal is is statistics like that). that means you'll have to lose about 30-35 lbs to be somewhere in the proper range.

Dude, my arm weighs about 190. wink.gif Yeah, I changed my habits a bit since a few months ago. I get out a lot more.

I used to just sit in front of the computer and nothing else for a few months. Bad idea.

No really, I followed Micheals advice, and lost a solid 5 pounds since Thursday. Crazy. The book says I should lose a 1-2pounds a week, but I'm losing about a pound a day, steadily.

Riding my bike to work also, about 15-20 minutes, going to the rock gym 1-2 week and doing something bigger on the weekends.

I'll keep you posted to see if I lose another 5 pounds of video game weight next week.

Basically I cut out grains and sugers and high fatty foods. Lots of fruits and veggies at every meal wih some lean meat. I eat 5-6 times a day.

I didn't NEED a book, but it helps because my wife likes to prepare my meals and I like following specific regiments sometimes.

When you're younger you can eat what you like, drink what you like and still climb into your 26 inch waist trousers and zip them closed. Then you reach that age -- 24, 25 -- your muscles give up they wave a little white flag and then without any warning at all, you're suddenly a fat bastard."

I followed Micheals advice, and lost a solid 5 pounds since Thursday. Crazy. The book says I should lose a 1-2pounds a week, but I'm losing about a pound a day, steadily.

If your loosing more than a pound or two a week you are loosing water weight. Its not possible for your body to loose that much fat in that short of time. I don't know what advice you are following but a drastic drop in water weight is usually related to ketosis (sp?) where you are not getting enought good carbs (vegies and fruits) and your body is attempting to get rid of all the waste produced by the engergy back up mechanisms.

Ketosis can be dangerous. My diet has carbohydrates in it, all from fruit and veggies. It may be, since I'm following recipes almost exactly, that I'm not getting enough calories and it's inducing ketosis for my activity level. I should just eat a little more to compensate, I may be starving myself. The last thing I want to do is start eating up my muscle tissue, expecially in my heart. Thanks.

I DO eat fruits and veggies! lol

Just for reference, Ill give you a typical day now:

Breakfast: Oat meal with nuts, soymilk and fruit or low fat cottage cheese and fruit.

Lunch: Turky or tuna salad and fruit. (meat, lettuce, nuts, celery, olive oil, vinager)

Snack: Hummus or light cheese and fruit

Dinner: Baked halibut and green beans or Chicken with broccili and snow peas with fruit and nuts.

Desert: fruit or veggies.

That's basically what I've been eating. I've been eating more fruit and veggies now than I every have. I think since I'm losing weight too fast, I should either:

A) more portions

B) more water(even though I drink a lot)

C) add some whole grain to my diet (which seems the best balance).

I think I'll do a little bit of all three.

I mean, it's all obvious stuff, I just never thought about it too much and now I'm paying the price as I get older. Plus, maybe this thread could help others in the same boat. Talking about it is motivating. Thanks!

Sounds like you've got a good basis there. How many carbohydrates you need is hard to judge since most people don't have a good reference handy so if you think you're getting a lot of fruits and vegitables you still may not be getting as many carbs as you think. For my meals (I'm 155 lb ~12% body fat) I generally eat about 4-6 oz of meat (21-28 grams of protein) and 36-45 grams of carbs and lots of fat (snacks I eat less but same ratio). So, some examples of carb content: 1 apple ~18 grams carb, 1 pear ~27 grams carb, 1/2 cup blueberries ~9 grams carb, 3 cup broccoli ~9 grams carb, romain lettuce 10 cups ~9 grams carbs, snow peas 1.5 c ~9 grams carb.

So you see that you need to eat a lot of veggies or fewer fruits to get the same amount of carbs. I personally try and eat a bit of both but get a majority of my carbs from fuits and black beans (1/2 c ~18g) since I don't have to gorge myself to get enough. But don't cut out the vegitables as there are invaluable vitamins there.

k. wait..you guys can actually work out in the mornings? I tried that once...and puked! Seriously..couldn't do it. felt like hell!! THAT AND...who the hell gets up that early! I can barely get out of bed and make it to work on time!! Yet alone work out!!

Does it really make a difference? Honestly? Working out in the AM vs PM? And if it does...why do I get so sick and feel like hell when I try to do it??