What Did You Do This Weekend?

JayB

Stealing Shuldt's fire here...

Saturday: half-day of season-pass holder vindication at Alpental. Tipped a 40 for the soul of a lost season after returning home.

Sunday: Middle Middle fork of the Snoqualmie with every other boater in Western Washington. First run in the new boat. Fantastic outing.

Summary: Here's to the PNW bigdrink.giffruit.gif

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sat: braved the 30% chance of rain to go climbing at 11worth. Had fun and raised eyebrows exploring Clem's Holler/Nuthouse. New to me.

Sun: practiced my eskimo rolls in the pool for the first time in a decade. Kayaks have changed! Makes me feel like Buck Rogers, wondering what the hell happened to a world I used to know.

I forgot how much I love whitewater.thumbs_up.gif

Jay, what kind of boat are you in?

Beat the ticket lines at Crystal, then got "stuck" upper mtn when midway shut down around 11:00 wave.gif. People went to the bottom for lunch, never came back up.... so sad cry.gif. Oh yeah, got the last chair of the day on High Campbell rockband.gif Stiff and sore, but worth it all!! bigdrink.gif

i painted boat stuff. and checked out a cliff band within sight of the marina: fukin dirt. went into la paz to pay my respects at the cathedral to il papa: i didnt burst into flames at the church threshold but it were a wee bit uncomofrtable in there.

CJZ and I went over to the Tieton this weekend. We got there late on Saturday and hiked up to the Royal Collumns. When we got there we ran into a group of Mounties who were trying to evacuate a badly hurt member. The story I got was that the climber fell 8' on a 5.4 route and did some kind of compound fracture on his ankle. It looked really nasty, and there was blood seeping through the bandages.

CJZ helped cary some of their packs back to the road, and I and another member of their group helped the injured climber hobble on his good leg. We got him quite a ways down the trail before some EMS folks showed up. I was hoping we could get him to an easy point since I knew they were going to turn the whole thing into a circus. Sure enough there were soon about 20 firefighters there.

The lead firefighter wanted to rope the injured climber down to the flats using 2 ropes and a tied off boulder. I set up a good anchor in a crack, but apparently they didn't trust anyone who didn't wear a firefighter uniform. So I just sat there and watched the circus. To their credit they did get the guy down without dropping him, but they turned a simple opperation into a major ordeal. All I can say is if I was hurt I'd rather crawl than go through that.

On Sunday we wanted to go somewhere we hadn't been before, so we hiked up to Rainbow rocks. The climbing their is alright, but not nearly as good as the older Tieton areas. Then we drove home.

Sat: braved the 30% chance of rain to go climbing at 11worth. Had fun and raised eyebrows exploring Clem's Holler/Nuthouse. New to me.

Sun: practiced my eskimo rolls in the pool for the first time in a decade. Kayaks have changed! Makes me feel like Buck Rogers, wondering what the hell happened to a world I used to know.

I forgot how much I love whitewater.thumbs_up.gif

Jay, what kind of boat are you in?

I have done most of my boating in a giant old-school Perception Overflow that I bought off of Bug a couple of years ago. I will probably hang onto that boat for big water and/or the overnight trip, but I recently picked up a Riot Glide, which was a cutting edge playboat at one time, but has as much volume as most new creekboats. It's been good to me so far though....

glide.gif

We went to our friend's cabin down in Ashford for the weekend and made a break for MRNP on Saturday where we showshoed, postholed, and generally frolicked near Reflection Lake in all the lovely fresh and newly falling snow.

How is it that my first "winter" experience this year came in April I ask you? smile.gif

5795IMG_0916_S_-med.JPG

5795IMG_0891_S_-med.JPG

smitty. first time back in awhile. the whole place was taken over by mazamas and cc.com'ers. funguy, brock, tex, ursa eagle, ireneo. mazamas were everywhere but had nothing but good experiences with them this weekend.

pack animal direct and calamity jam. i love crack!

CJZ and I went over to the Tieton this weekend. We got there late on Saturday and hiked up to the Royal Collumns. When we got there we ran into a group of Mounties who were trying to evacuate a badly hurt member. The story I got was that the climber fell 8' on a 5.4 route and did some kind of compound fracture on his ankle. It looked really nasty, and there was blood seeping through the bandages.

CJZ helped cary some of their packs back to the road, and I and another member of their group helped the injured climber hobble on his good leg. We got him quite a ways down the trail before some EMS folks showed up. I was hoping we could get him to an easy point since I knew they were going to turn the whole thing into a circus. Sure enough there were soon about 20 firefighters there.

The lead firefighter wanted to rope the injured climber down to the flats using 2 ropes and a tied off boulder. I set up a good anchor in a crack, but apparently they didn't trust anyone who didn't wear a firefighter uniform. So I just sat there and watched the circus. To their credit they did get the guy down without dropping him, but they turned a simple opperation into a major ordeal. All I can say is if I was hurt I'd rather crawl than go through that.

On Sunday we wanted to go somewhere we hadn't been before, so we hiked up to Rainbow rocks. The climbing their is alright, but not nearly as good as the older Tieton areas. Then we drove home.

Classic. Last time I was at the Tieton, a bunch of Mounties were seiging Royal Arches and I remember watching one dude take a real unsafe fall on some easy climb. Landed on his back and shit but I don't think he was seriously hurt.

Isn't it ironic how folks in groups like the Mounties, who are way over serious about safety with all their codified inflexible procedures, are always the ones getting hurt?

...did some kind of compound fracture on his ankle. It looked really nasty, and there was blood seeping through the bandages...

Glad to know homie's alright. Getting hurt climbing sucks period, doesnt matter who you are.

Sat: Spanked and shut down at Vantage climbing 5.4s.

Sun: Took the plunge and ordered my Quark Ergos, watched rain, met a good friend in the PCC parking lot where we chatted it up, went to work for a few hours, mowed lawn, played Thrones and Patriots, ate junk food.

Hope you got a prodeal!

Are you a profesional climber NOLSe...that is just so incredible. rolleyes.gif

Quote where I said I was a professional climber or rescind your comment.

If you check my profile or actually knew me you would know I’m an engineer in Portland… not a "professional climber" as you contend.

You don't have to be a professional to get prodeals anyways. the_finger.gifrolleyes.gif