Best Album of 2004

EWolfe

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolution, by Muse!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good album, but compared to Origin of Symmetry and Showbiz, Absolution is a waste of time....

Franz Ferdinand is good album

Good news for people who love bad news - Modest Mouse

New Pinback EP

"Funeral" by The Arcade Fire

not 2004.....but "Highly Refined Pirates" by Minus the Bear

"A Ghost is Born" - Wilco

but really just go buy as many pinback albums as you can get your hands on....

Absolution, by Muse!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went and checked this album out on Amazon. It was sort of neat to see people sniping on each other on some other format (Muse vs. Radiohead). ooo.gif

"Anyone that can't hear the similarity between Muse and Radiohead is either (1) in denail, and truly unable to see what they don't want to see; (2) completely tone-deaf; or (3) pridefully lying. (Would these people also assert that R. Yamagata sounds nothing like Fiona Apple?) "

or

"I could go on and on, but like all music critisim, the points are merely academic. If one likes it (and I do), one likes it, no matter the analytical deconstruction. Just don't make the they're-nothing-like-Radiohead argument disingenuously or ignorantly."

rockband.gif

g24187ux30i.jpg

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifmushsmile.gif

werd werd werd.

Ten (or so) Best Indy Label hip hop LP's of the year in some particular order:

Madvillain (MF DOOM & Madlib) - Madvillainy

Foreign Exchange (Phonte & Nicolay) - Connected

Royce 5'9 - Death is Certain

De La Soul - The Grind Date

Leak Bros (Cage + Tame One) Waterworld

Murs & 9th Wonder - Murs 3:16

The Roots - The Tipping Point (not exactly Indy though)

MF DOOM - MM Food

Jean Grae - This week

RJD2 - Since we last spoke (not exactly Indy though)

Albums I am stoked for in 2005:

Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol 3 (run for cover bitches! download vols 1 and 2 or pm me and I will burn them for you... so hot he gets Mumia to do the intro to vol 2 live from death row)

MF DOOM & DJ Danger Mouse - Danger Doom

Common - B.E.

Royce 5'9 & Nottz - untitled

Dr. Dre - Detox

Jean Grae & 9th Wonder - Jeanius

Sage Francis - A Healthy Distrust

Vast Aire & DJ Mighty Mi - The Best Damn Rap Show

Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury

K.M.D. - Mental Illness

wazzup.gif

rockband.gif

Hot Water Music The New What Next

They're from Gainesville, FL. They release an album a year just about, and tour constantly. They rock the progressive post-hardcore shit, and continue to improve, refine, and experiment with every record. Buy. Listen. Love.

Less Than Jake 'B' is for B-sides

Also from Gainesville, FL. Rocking the punk rock with the ska music, but less skanky oi-boy ska and more like punk rock with a good horn section. This album is the B-sides from their last album, Anthem, and it is better than the album, as well as being the best thing LTJ has released in the past few years. Short, rocking, righteous. Get stoked and rock out.

Yes.

Oh, and Against Me!'s As the Eternal Cowboy, even though it's from '03. 'cause DFA just heard it in '04. Note that Against Me! are also from Gainesville, FL. Notice a theme, here? Good. They are part acoustic, part electrified, all punk rocking goodness, with short songs, varied styles, good harmonizing, good lyrics, good energy, and good song titles (e.g. Cliche Guevara). You buy it, you love it, you thank Dr. Flash Amazing later for being such a fucking brilliant music recommendator.

Word to your moms.

Oh, and one more thing, which is that Fugazi began this year to release live albums of something like 20 of their shows dating back to their first. While the good Doctor has not heard any of these yet, it is safe to say that this will be good stuff.

Oh yeah, and go see the Ramones movie, End of the Century. A swell portrait of an influential group of incredibly socially dysfunctional people who are responsible for making some good punk rock noises.

Salud!

Green Day - American Idiot

The theme song on the radio doesn't do this justice.

I'm a music critic, big time ( and in the music business ) and this is a really good album. A good friend told me to check it out and before I heard it I thought it would be a bunch of crap. But after listen to the 9 minute track 2, I was totally sold.

Good lyrics and tempo changes.

It's a concept album with really good song writing.

Believe it or not, these are excellent musicians.

Good concept too:

Suburbian Christianity/ media / rednecks destroying our country.

Inspiring.