Quotes about climbing

dberdinka

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I climbed Mount Rainier the other day. I did not intend to, but got excited and soon was on top" - John Muir

"I think we forgot ourselves so much as to shake hands on it" - Tilman, with a typical stiff British upper lip, on the first ascent of Nanda Devi.

"When I look at the DMM Predator ice axe, I think of murder" - Stephen King

Not sure if this one has been mentioned yet, but it's one that I really like. (I didn't bother reading the whole thread).

"So, as you would imagine, I grew up exuberant in body but with a nervy, craving mind. It was wanting something more, something tangible. It sought for reality intensely, always if it were not there...

But you see at once what I do. I climb."

John Menlove Edwards

It was like having sex with death.

It's sort of like having fun but not.

To find adventure on a tame planet, the children of comfort plunge themselves into ever more bizarre escapades. Wilhelm Bittorf

Don't knock on death's door, ring the doorbell and run away, death hates that.

Gaston_Lagaffe said:

"> I am working on a research paper. My topic is: How Do Glaciers Move? Can you please tell me what you know about the movement of glaciers ?

Glaciers feel best when they have one movement per day. Some glaciers do just fine with fewer movements, but when they don't have movements for a long time the result can be quite bad. Glaciers which move much more frequently tend to have loose and soft terminal moraines (also called rock piles).

Glacial movement is almost always associated with the release of water. But sometimes glaciers release water without experiencing a movement." — Mike Garrison's answer."

Mike's a pretty funny guy in person sometimes, too...Gaston, do you know him?

Thinker said:

Gaston_Lagaffe said:

"> I am working on a research paper. My topic is: How Do Glaciers Move? Can you please tell me what you know about the movement of glaciers ?

Glaciers feel best when they have one movement per day. Some glaciers do just fine with fewer movements, but when they don't have movements for a long time the result can be quite bad. Glaciers which move much more frequently tend to have loose and soft terminal moraines (also called rock piles).

Glacial movement is almost always associated with the release of water. But sometimes glaciers release water without experiencing a movement." — Mike Garrison's answer."

Mike's a pretty funny guy in person sometimes, too...Gaston, do you know him?

I met Mike once at Alpental. Very nice guy.

"Climb if you will but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be at the end."

Edward Whymper