2 days...where to take the GF?

JoshK

Gonna take the girlfriend out for an overnight this weekend. weather looks pretty lame but not real stormy or anytihng. requirements are that it must be very scenic and needs to be a challenging, but not ass kicking 2 day trip. It would be a bonus to be able to climb something. She's not technical, but anything I could solo up and give her a rope if nescessary would be fine. I've got several ideas, now lemme here y'all's.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Peak (N. Cascades) has a few options from scramble to moderate rock, and the several lakes are scenic and have good campsites.

Chiwawa E. of the crest--a long-ish day, but would be a nice overnighter. some scrambling.

Mt. Daniels w/ camp at pretty Circle Lake. no steep rock.

Ingall's also a good sugg.

Dream on Alex. I've got a good one. Go do Slide Mountain near Rainier. It is an easy scramble with great views. Take Hwy 410 to just before the park entrance and just after Camp Shepard. Hike the Buck Creek Trail to the drainage and scramble up to the tarn where you can camp. You can scramble Slide Mountain the second day and go out.

catbirdseat said:

Dream on Alex. I've got a good one.

Huh? Why dream on? Prusik is an excellent GF climb and meets all the stated requirements...? I agree with everything else thats posted, too, they are all good suggestions. Well, except yours ! cool.gif

great suggestions, everybody. a few are the ones I was thinking of too. I agree with Alex, prusik WR would make an awesome GF climb. I think that or ingalls will be the backup if the weather turns out worse than expected. I was thinking chiwawa as well, as I love that area and expect it wouldn't be too crowded this early in the year. anybody know if the spider meadow trailhead is accessible yet? I would assume it was.

Spectacle's a great suggestion. It's 9 miles via Pete, and I'm going to say 7 via Mineral Ck and Park Lakes.

From there you can head up any number of peaks and/or cruise up to Glacier and or Chikamin Lakes. Nice country, and if there's a speck of snow I don't think the crowds will be insane. A lot of hikers are a-skeert of snow! tongue.gif

cutthroat pass is worth considering. short hike (~4miles), moderate elev. gain (2000'), great camping just below and east of the pass on rock ledges overlooking the lake. decent scrambling and a few short climbs within easy reach. one could get back to 20 via the pct for a loop.