Six most appealing North Faces in the Casacades

MysticNacho

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All from personal experience...

Hood's Cooper Spur is an elegant line in profile (a slog, tho)

I think we would need to mention Rainier's Liberty Ridge (altho can a ridge count as a face in this context?)

I really enjoyed NF of N Peak of Index

Adam's Glacier Icefall and/or the North Lyman Glacier route

NF of Chair Peak in winter

Gimme a little while and I'll come up with the sixth. I gotta get some work done today, what with all the fah'qn around I've done on this board lately. rolleyes.gif

Definitely lots of options here but...the following are all big, beautiful and have classic routes on them.

Fury N Face

Bear N Face

Slesse NE Side

Goode NE to NW side

Redoubt NE Face

Shuksan NW Face

Somehow the N side of Stuart and the N Face of Dragontail should be in this list too but those are the first six to come to mind.

dberdinka's list is very good. I have a hard time limiting the list to six. It's like trying to pick your favorite children--you don't want to leave any out. My list is slightly different in that "appealing" means "nice to look at" as well as "nice to climb." Anyway, here goes:

Shuksan, NW

Forbidden, NW

Goode, NE

Stuart, N

Redoubt, NE

Bonanza, N

If I put even more weight on "nice to look at" I'd have to include peaks like Challenger, Dome and Glacier.

Lowell_Skoog said:

dberdinka's list is very good. I have a hard time limiting the list to six. It's like trying to pick your favorite children--you don't want to leave any out. My list is slightly different in that "appealing" means "nice to look at" as well as "nice to climb." Anyway, here goes:

Shuksan, NW

Forbidden, NW

Goode, NE

Stuart, N

Redoubt, NE

Bonanza, N

If I put even more weight on "nice to look at" I'd have to include peaks like Challenger, Dome and Glacier.

Ya but what about Bear huh? or NE Slesse?

Dru said:

Ya but what about Bear huh? or NE Slesse?

As I stare at my list (when I should be working), I think my criteria for "appealing" translates to something like "architecturally grand." I listed peaks that stand apart, have a mix of rock and ice, and have a dramatic form. Peaks like Slesse, Bear and Baring are severe and brooding--impressive, but not so attractive to me. Too much shadow, too little ice, too close to the brush.

The NE buttress of Slesse is the most architecturally grand feature in the PNW. IMHO. LOL fruit.gif

It is lacking in the ice through, except on the approach.

If'n I was gonna pick 6 (this list will be BC centric)

Slesse NE

Knight N

Lindeman NE

Rideout N

Steinbok NE

Grimface massif N

Judge Howay N

Robie Reid NE

would be on the list but they "aint the Cascades, Jack" yellaf.gif

Take a look at the central rib on the north face of Triumph.

It's pretty architecturally grand. It rises right up to the summit.

Can't find a great picture of the whole thing online, but the central rib is visible below. Picture in CAG is better (summer conditions, whole thing visible). The sharp snowy ridge coming towards viewer is NE ridge. CR is in the middle of the face to the right and starts at lower right corner of photo.

2447triumph2.jpg

Edited by Alpinfox

Led_Hed said:

What about Colonial and Big Four?

They're winter routes but so are Chair and Index...

I think the obvious conclusion is that six isn't enough! There is just a huge variety of choices exhibiting all sorts of characteristics. It's far easier and more fun to answer something like what are the 6 most appealing...

..snow and ice north faces

..almost purely rock north faces

..mixed north faces

..winter north faces

i.e. snow and ice might be something like

Baker Coleman Headwall

Fury NE Face

Buckner N Face

Shuksan N Face

Maude N Face

Rainier Liberty Ridge

So I guess we can all sit here and make endless varieties of lists. Joy! cantfocus.gifcantfocus.gif