Sport Leading

bubblebutt

I know this site is full of cynics and spraylords and i'm risking dersion and accusations of chestbeating but had to share the fact that I watched my 10 year old do his first lead climbing at the gym last night and I am so proud I 've been smiling all day.

He's been in a program at the gym . He climbed a 5.7 for warm up, then a 5.10a he'd climbed before and then a 5.10a he'd never done and flashed it. It honestly brought tears to my eyes.

He doesn't seem to be too worried about falling ( my problem) and the gym's done a good job training them on clipping, backclipping etc.

Any other old climbing farts got kids climbing? bigdrink.gifcheeburga_ron.gif

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bubblebutt said:

I know this site is full of cynics and spraylords and i'm risking dersion and accusations of chestbeating but had to share the fact that I watched my 10 year old do his first lead climbing at the gym last night and I am so proud I 've been smiling all day.

He's been in a program at the gym . He climbed a 5.7 for warm up, then a 5.10a he'd climbed before and then a 5.10a he'd never done and flashed it. It honestly brought tears to my eyes.

He doesn't seem to be too worried about falling ( my problem) and the gym's done a good job training them on clipping, backclipping etc.

Any other old climbing farts got kids climbing? bigdrink.gifcheeburga_ron.gif

sounds like the making of a ropegun. That's not chestbeating.

Thanks, It's really interesting seeing a child get into the sport/lifestyle. I haven't pushed him atall and he genuinely loves it. He's started buying gear with his allowance and has some cams already.

Being a dirtbag I am steering him to buys cams and gear that I think I need and then borrowing his gear. If you can't take advantage of your own child , who can you take advantage of!

laugh.gif

I put my four year old in his full body harness for the first time this last Tuesday. I rigged a toprope to a beam in my basement and hoisted him up. He thought that was pretty cool. I then pulled the stairclimber over and asked him if he could climb up it and touch the beam. He pulled himself up and then mantled onto the console. One knee and then he stood up and tagged the anchor. I don't know who was smiling more, him or me. We're going to Index this spring to climb that big boulder slab at the base of the quarry.

bubblebutt said:

Thanks, It's really interesting seeing a child get into the sport/lifestyle. I haven't pushed him atall and he genuinely loves it. He's started buying gear with his allowance and has some cams already.

Being a dirtbag I am steering him to buys cams and gear that I think I need and then borrowing his gear. If you can't take advantage of your own child , who can you take advantage of!

laugh.gif

"Yup son you're definetly going to need a few #3 bugaboos and some HB offest micronuts if you want to start climbing, and some of those lightweight alpine etriers. Just start with basic gear like this, then go from there..."

yelrotflmao.gif

children don't need to be encouraged to climb as much as they just need to be allowed to climb. grin.gif and watched over ofcourse. other than that, let them do their thing. they go in stages... and at their own pace. both my 7 year old and my 4 year old climb when they can, and we hear about it if they don't get their turn on the projects they are working on smile.gif

That's great about your kid climbing. I work with the 8-14 year old climbing class at stone gardens. It's pretty much the same kids every week, so I really enjoy watching them progress as climbers. I think their technique progresses really fast at that age because they are forced to use it to reach holds that ar typically within a average persons reach.

Good work, I hope the young one sticks to it.

I agree with Muffy and Col Vspanker.

From what I have seen they learn to use their body and do dynamic moves much faster than an adult. My climbing has actualy improved by watching how my son uses his feet.

Having an incredible body weight to strength ratio also helps the little buggers aswell cantfocus.gif They are like gibbons at that age. cool.gif

I have a 14 yo daughter and 10 yo son. They both are climbing 10a on TR. I have not gotten them leading yet. We are going to Disneyland then J-tree for spring break and I thing they are more excited to climb at j-tree than ride the rides and Disneyland. Between the strength to weight ratio and their flexibility they can really kick ass. We signed each of them up for a technique class at VW and their climbing improved easily one whole grade.

Gordonb said:

I have a 14 yo daughter and 10 yo son. They both are climbing 10a on TR. I have not gotten them leading yet. We are going to Disneyland then J-tree for spring break and I thing they are more excited to climb at j-tree than ride the rides and Disneyland. Between the strength to weight ratio and their flexibility they can really kick ass. We signed each of them up for a technique class at VW and their climbing improved easily one whole grade.

If you really want them to get crankin', put them on the Vertical teams...some of those kids PULL DOWN HARD!!

Regarding Muffy's statement: Full rig is the way to go on smaller folks...they don't have hips and are top heavy...

My 3 1/2 year old is smithing it this weekend!! wave.gif

We have looked into the VW team, but the time comitment is a little high. Living in Federal Way makes it worse. Both kids are involved in so many activities as it is. My daughter wants to do the Smith Rock climbing camp, but at $2000 it is a little expensive.