Winter tick list

Charlie

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodeo - A friend of mine who is a biochemist warned against Kennedy. Apparently it's this right temp to harbor all kinds of interesting bacteria. Your choice though. Just recommend monitoring your health for a few days after sitting in them.

[ 10-26-2001: Message edited by: ehmmic ]

Polish Direct on Agoncagua...eeah hah!

I got my tickets in the mail yesteday. I'm flying out Jan. 9th. You all will be blessed with no posts from me for a month!

Winter is already here in the Wallowa's, Two weeks ago I climbed 1000ft of low angle verglass...the local coliours are shaping nicely for early season stuff. Come out & climb...my offer of free [big Drink] beer is still good tongue.gif" border="0

terminal, just out of curiousity...how much DID you get those tickets for? and are you flying into argentina or chile?

Dont forget a good report and some pics to post...otherwise I might have to hunt you down when Im back in the area next spring.

Have a FUN and SAFE trip!!!!!

Oh yes, and I will be spending as much time as possible on the ice between mpls and ontario. Looking to get some dogsledding, winter camping, and...skiing in (believe it or not I have NEVER been skiing shocked.gif" border="0 ). I LOVE winter! grin.gif" border="0

[ 10-26-2001: Message edited by: carolyn ]

I would like to climb anything in winter. I am happy to crag or even hike up the "Hill Walkers Alps" we have. Skiing sounds pretty bonsai. Point skis in downward direction and then full speed ahead. Just don't pull the Sonny Bono shocked.gif" border="0 Yep that is me the gymnist skier out there in the backcountry. Except that I am crashing while conducting all my stunts tongue.gif" border="0

Hood sounds interesting. I like ice in Lillooet [big Drink] <=== among other things to do there rolleyes.gif" border="0

[ 10-26-2001: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

I'm actually thinking about making a winter trip in to Kennedy Hot Springs. Only in winter does 95.3 get considered to be a 'hot' spring. wink.gif" border="0 Anyway, it will either be a snowshoe or telemark trip. Go in on Friday and come out on Sunday.

This just in... I'm also planning a trip up St Helens the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It will be my son's first alpine trip. He's stoked already.

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: rodeo ]

Hey Plexus:

I've never been up to Phoenix Mountain, but here's what I know from living here for three years or so. If it snows it will normally render just about everything unclimbable for about 2-3 days, after which you can normally get on rock with southerly exposure if it's warmed up a bit. After that, you'll find snow in shadowy or shaded aspects for an indeterminate amount of time. When I get hard up for some (trad) rock in the winter I usually head to the South Platte, which ranges between 7500 and 8500 feet for the most part, and find that the south facing rock is clear 3-4 days after a snow, if not sooner, while the rest of the place is coated. I suspect that unless we're in the midst of a prolonged cold snap/storm you should be able to get on the boulders at Phoenix mtn. Happy Bouldering.

-Jay

The biggie will be the Notch Couloir (III AI3 5.5) on Long's Peak here in Colorado. Not one of the Peak's most challenging lines but a pretty stout outing for me. Other than that, it'll be more of the limestone at Shelf, maybe a trad day or two in the South Platte two when the sun is out, and some of the easier ice at Mt. Lincoln and Vail. I may also pay Banks Lake a visit when I come home for a couple weeks at Christmas.

-lillooet/ fraser canyon/ fraser valley ice

-week or two in the rockies over christmas or else red rocks/j tree/queen creek with my buddy doug from so-cal.

-something on the n face of cheam if the conditions are right

-n face of rideout, ditto

-coupe/priest couloir on rexford, ditto.

-Shannon Falls, if the blue moon comes out and a big freeze sets in.

cool.gif" border="0

just curious- did the n face of chair ever come in last year? anyone do it?

my list so far:

Hood s side(yearly tradition)

hood leuthold couliar

j tree

ranier jib ledges

banks lake

fugs falls, vantage

umptanium falls (of course, 15 minutes from the crib)

drury

several snowboard descents

n face chair

tooth