Buying Gear Online?

Use our price tool to find the best price on any piece or gear or clothing. Purchases using this tool support cc.com.

Supporting Sponsors

Pro Mountain Sports
Thermawrap Parka 12.8oz

blank
Who's Online
4 registered (mutz, Gowri, Good2Go, dan_e), 52 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
27478 Members
50 Forums
101003 Topics
1148347 Posts

Max Online: 627 @ 12/18/06 12:02 AM
Top TR Contributors
ivan 118
KaskadskyjKozak 112
JasonG 105
tvashtarkatena 99
off_the_hook 90
danhelmstadter 88
wayne 78
AlpineK 73
telemarker 71
G-spotter 57
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#936825 - 01/27/10 10:41 PM State of the Union
Choada_Boy Offline
Pooh-Bah

TRs: 4 Photos: 39
Loc: Your Mom's House
Alito was PISSED.

Help Support CascadeClimbers

Want to browse more deals? Check out our price comparison and deal finder tool!

#936833 - 01/27/10 11:12 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Choada_Boy]
Hugh Conway Offline
spray'prentice

TRs: 1 Photos: 24
Of course Alito was pissed. He wanted an iPad with a front facing camera too.

#936837 - 01/27/10 11:31 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Hugh Conway]
prole Offline
sprayer

TRs: 0 Photos: 1
Loc: U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!
Obama put on a helluva show; at times it was a great speech. It seems apparent, at least rhetorically and apart from this "spending freeze" nonsense, that he does not intend to roll over to the blue-dick Dems and know-nothing Teabaggers (ala Bill Clinton). Let's hope this dog's just got mad and has got some fight in him. It'd be nice to see some MFs getting fired right now: Geithner first and then some of the cheese dicks on his staff.

BTW, the Republican rebuttal: How did the GOP manage to find someone with a delivery as gimpy and awkward, a message as muddled and banal, in a tone as patronizing and condescending as Bobby Jindal's response was a year ago? It had everything except the Mister Rogers music.

Edited by prole (01/27/10 11:45 PM)

#936839 - 01/27/10 11:46 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: prole]
StevenSeagal Offline
Pooh-Bah

TRs: 0 Photos: 2
Loc: Classified
I noticed that the GOP/Teabagger response has a common element that even I agree with in principle, which is "actions speak louder than words", to quote several of them.

Which I should take to mean that they actually support what Obama proposed tonight? Which means their daily opposition to everything he is trying is simply obstruction for obstruction's sake and a game of point-scoring? Good thing they are working for the American people's interest! rolleyes

#936845 - 01/28/10 01:03 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: Choada_Boy]
Crux Offline
veteran

TRs: 0 Photos: 0
Loc: Way, way off route
Yes, Alito is said to have mouthed the words, "Not true!" in reaction to Obama when he alluded to the assertion that the recent court decision places the rights of corporations at not only equal to but above the rights of people.

Whatever.

Now, a corporation is running for political office, and that's the truth:

#936862 - 01/28/10 07:29 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: Crux]
ivan Offline
Sick Spray Bird

TRs: 118 Photos: 1803
Loc: Oceania
great speech, but then that hasn't been the problem w/ this one smile

loved seeing the court put in the spotlight briefly, as well as the joint chiefs a little later on

liked the almost informal nature of the speeech - he was calling folks out, just wish there was a bit more of a knife in what he said to them - "let's be clear america, take a look at these sad-sack sorry-ass motherfuckers - do you see them? these are the folks who have to fuck with everything - these are the people you need to be having a chat w/" smile

as for the rebuttal, it was kinda like following hte superbowl up w/ a peewee football game - the production quality alone looked like total shit - hey, we're gonna do things jus tliek the big guy, just shittier and cornier smile

"we can't keep spendign money the way we have been!" uh, wtf? when you clowns took the conch back in 2000 we were in surplus, then you proceeded to spend it all on coke n' whores n' new-edible panties for your secretaries, and we're to blame? crazy

#936878 - 01/28/10 08:18 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: ivan]
Choada_Boy Offline
Pooh-Bah

TRs: 4 Photos: 39
Loc: Your Mom's House
Perhaps the fewest standing ovations and five minute clapfests I've seen in a State of the Union address. He stood there and gave it straight up to both sides of Congress, the Court, the Armed Services, and the American People the whole time. He spoke for perhaps ten minutes, uninterrupted, in his conclusion. Great oratory, more like a lecture on economics and democracy.

#936881 - 01/28/10 08:24 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: Choada_Boy]
ivan Offline
Sick Spray Bird

Originally Posted By: Choada_Boy
Perhaps the fewest standing ovations and five minute clapfests I've seen in a State of the Union address.

i noticed this particularily at the start of the speech - he went at least 5 minutes of the top w/o interuption - brilliant - he also talked over a lot of clapping so as to get them to stfu

i just wish that talk could actually turn into more than a rare pleasant hour of television and political theater - at this point i have no idea what i could even see to convince me things are changing

#936885 - 01/28/10 08:37 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: ivan]
billcoe Offline
Spray Master

TRs: 4 Photos: 872
Loc: pdx
At least we have a leader erudite enough to pronounce all of his words correctly and in context. Remember that to climb any mountain the most difficult part is often that one must first choose to do so and then take the first step.

A walk down memory lane: — former President Bushisms

"Will the highways on the internet become more few?"

"It’s a time of sorrow and sadness when we lose a loss of life"

"I appreciate the fact that you really snatched defeat out of the jaws of those who are trying to defeat us in Iraq"

"I remember meeting a mother of a child who was abducted by the North Koreans right here in the Oval Office"

"We’re concerned about Aids inside our White House – make no mistake about it"

"I’m honoured to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein"

"I’ve coined new words, like “misunderstanding”

"I recently met with the finance minister of the Palestinian Authority, was very impressed by his grasp of finances"

"It’s in our country’s interests to find those who would do harm to us and get them out of harm's way"

"One year ago today, the time for excuse-making has come to an end"

. "I promise you I will listen to what has been said here, even though I wasn’t here"

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test"

"I don’t particularly like it when people put words in my mouth, either, by the way, unless I say it

"[The Taliban] have no disregard for human life"

"When the governor calls, I answer his phone"

"Those who enter the country illegally violate the law"

"I think we agree, the past is over"

"America stands for liberty, for the pursuit of happiness and for the unalienalienable right of life"

"My job is a decision-making job, and as a result, I make a lot of decisions"

"One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures"

"I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office."

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

#936904 - 01/28/10 09:45 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: billcoe]
j_b Offline
sprayer

TRs: 0 Photos: 22
Obama is certainly saying a lot of the right things about the economy and the cred deficit of the political class. Let's see him actually do something toward achieving these goals. My main worries (besides the fact that his speech may be as good as it gets and much of it wasn't very specific) is that he appears to think the health care mess was a communication problem and that much of his energy/environmental policy is in great part greenwashed pork (biofuels, nuclear, "clean coal") for the same old entrenched interests.

#936923 - 01/28/10 10:23 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: j_b]
prole Offline
sprayer

Apart from the monumental strategic blunder of not putting forth a comprehensive plan of their own and cashing in their political chips while they were ahead, the "communication problem" was a huge part of the health care mess. Not having a plan to sell, Obama sat on the sidelines while the GOP, Pharma, and Insurance cranked the air-raid sirens and screamed "FIRE" and let the politicians in Congress twist in the wind. With the town hall spectacles, the Right showed an Obama team who'd mobilized millions for the election how you light a fire under a politicians ass (even when it isn't an election year). Pols who showed up to the meetings with the idea of getting a message across got their asses handed to them. With the exception of Barney Frank calling a teabagger a dining room table, it literally took weeks before these fools lifted a finger to respond to the outrageous claims of "death camps", "kicking Granny to the curb", etc. that should always have been built into the strategy. For someone going in with as much political capital, as much media savvy, with as large a network as Obama had, to lose something as big as health care because they didn't "sell it" is pathetic. Heads should roll.

#936928 - 01/28/10 10:32 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: prole]
KaskadskyjKozak Offline
Sick Spray Bird

TRs: 112 Photos: 1037
Loc: Above Treeline
Originally Posted By: prole
Apart from the monumental strategic blunder of not putting forth a comprehensive plan of their own and cashing in their political chips while they were ahead, the "communication problem" was a huge part of the health care mess. Not having a plan to sell, Obama sat on the sidelines while the GOP, Pharma, and Insurance cranked the air-raid sirens and screamed "FIRE" and let the politicians in Congress twist in the wind. With the town hall spectacles, the Right showed an Obama team who'd mobilized millions for the election how you light a fire under a politicians ass (even when it isn't an election year). Pols who showed up to the meetings with the idea of getting a message across got their asses handed to them. With the exception of Barney Frank calling a teabagger a dining room table, it literally took weeks before these fools lifted a finger to respond to the outrageous claims of "death camps", "kicking Granny to the curb", etc. that should always have been built into the strategy. For someone going in with as much political capital, as much media savvy, with as large a network as Obama had, to lose something as big as health care because they didn't "sell it" is pathetic. Heads should roll.

You expected more from a "Community Organizer". grlaf

Man, you are stupid.

#936929 - 01/28/10 10:36 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: KaskadskyjKozak]
prole Offline
sprayer

What I'm talking about is the essence of community organizing, you degenerate scat muncher! Try to pay more attention.

#936931 - 01/28/10 10:38 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: prole]
KaskadskyjKozak Offline
Sick Spray Bird

TRs: 112 Photos: 1037
Loc: Above Treeline
What I'm talking about is the essence of community organizing,

He's organizing the community allright. grlaf

Quote:
you degenerate scat muncher.

A little projection, eh? Considering you and your agenda is the one eating shit right now...

#936934 - 01/28/10 10:41 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: prole]
Mal_Con Offline
old hand

TRs: 3 Photos: 4
Loc: Ottawa, ON, Can
The best comment I heard was that "Obama took his winnings and handed them over to Max Bacus"

#936939 - 01/28/10 10:48 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: KaskadskyjKozak]
prole Offline
sprayer

Originally Posted By: KaskadskyjKozak
Considering you and your agenda is the one eating shit right now...

Still pining for the good ol' days, eh? This will help...

#937037 - 01/28/10 01:09 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: prole]
Lars Offline
addicted to cc.com

Loc: South Sound
...the essence of community organizing...

And that is what Obama claimed to be about.

Too bad for him and the far left now that American communities have seen enough and are organizing in the other direction.

#937044 - 01/28/10 01:14 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Lars]
j_b Offline
sprayer

other direction like in the ~55% who voted in Oregon 2 days ago to increase taxes on the wealthy and corps or is it the ~82% of Mass voters who want medicare for everyone?

#937047 - 01/28/10 01:19 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Lars]
tvashtarkatena Offline
Sick Spray Bird

TRs: 99 Photos: 24
Loc: ked Down
Originally Posted By: Lars

Too bad for him and the far left now that American communities have seen enough and are organizing in the other direction.

I heard that reported, almost word for word, on Fox news, too.

I didn't catch the SOTU address...no need to. The treadmills at the gym have TV so I'm sure Fox will cook it down for me.

#937051 - 01/28/10 01:22 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Lars]
prole Offline
sprayer

Too bad for him and the far left now that American communities have seen enough of their needs not being met and are organizing in the other direction.

Couldn't agree more. As long as Obama and the Dems (and the Repubs) don't step it up and start solving the problems facing ordinary Americans and the planet, they will continue turning towards Fascism. Thanks Lars.

#937129 - 01/28/10 04:32 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: prole]
Fairweather Offline
sprayer

TRs: 37 Photos: 148
Obama using the occasion of a State of the Union speech to personally blast the Supreme Court and lecture the Democrat-controlled Senate in a paternal-like fashion is downright scary. My guess is that some folks are really scratching their heads about this guy today.

#937132 - 01/28/10 04:41 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Fairweather]
Jim Offline
spray'prentice

TRs: 14 Photos: 146
Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
Scary? Using the bully pulpit to tell the Dems to get off thier butts? As far as the Supreme Court - nothing he or anyone can do until one of the conservataives goes feet up. I thought the recent Supreme decision was an odd display of ignoring quite a load of precedent.

#937133 - 01/28/10 04:44 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Fairweather]
prole Offline
sprayer

Originally Posted By: Fairweather
My guess is that some folks are really scratching their heads about this guy today.

No more than those folks usually do, I'll bet.

#937135 - 01/28/10 04:47 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Jim]
Fairweather Offline
sprayer

So did I. But being publicly railed at during such an event is unsettling in a balance of powers context. Don't you think?

#937138 - 01/28/10 04:56 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Fairweather]
Jim Offline
spray'prentice

TRs: 14 Photos: 146
Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
No. Not at all. It's just tongue wagging. But robust power grabs as Bushie was good at is a good example of trying to consolidate executive power and marginalize the legislative branch. That was concerning. I'm sure Scalia was muttering under his breath STFU.

#937141 - 01/28/10 04:58 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Fairweather]
prole Offline
sprayer

So did I. But being publicly railed at during such an event is unsettling in a balance of powers context. Don't you think?

More menopausal theatrics from the resident drama queen. I heard this helps:

Edited by prole (01/28/10 05:07 PM)

#937154 - 01/28/10 05:39 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: prole]
Lars Offline
addicted to cc.com

Too bad for him and the far left now that American communities have seen enough of their needs not being met and are organizing in the other direction.

Couldn't agree more. As long as Obama and the Dems (and the Repubs) don't step it up and start solving the problems facing ordinary Americans and the planet, they will continue turning towards Fascism. Thanks Lars.

So you have to change my words around to come up with a weak comeback? Is that all you have? laf

You people have been living in liberal denial these last few weeks. Maybe reality hasn't started to sink in yet.

#937156 - 01/28/10 05:43 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Fairweather]
ivan Offline
Sick Spray Bird

Obama using the occasion of a State of the Union speech to personally blast the Supreme Court and lecture the Democrat-controlled Senate in a paternal-like fashion is downright scary. My guess is that some folks are really scratching their heads about this guy today.

the only folks scratching their heads are fools like you who were never on homeboy's side to begin w/ and in fact want nothing more than to see him fall flat on is face, no matter what it takes, even if collectively the whole country goes down the sitter in the process

was it a break from tradition? sure - but it was dipshit tradition to begin with - pretend to play all nice and ignore the cocksuckers who are working hard to make the world a worse place? no thanks. hey check it out - the sou hasn't always been this way- everyone from jefferson to wilson just wrote it down. traditions change.

#937173 - 01/28/10 06:06 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Fairweather]
Doug Offline
Pooh-Bah

TRs: 2 Photos: 27
Loc: Renton, officially part of the...

Yeah, almost right up there with shouting out "you lie" during a presidential speech. The audacity of dope.

Fairweather I have two ideas for you; 1) Perhaps you should sit for a statue that we could place under a bridge. You'd be the second most popular troll in the NW. 2) Perhaps you could get some of your NASCAR buddies from the Tacoma area to hit you up with a Snap-On or Mac jacket. The perfect label for any tool.

Bwahahahaha!

#937181 - 01/28/10 06:21 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Doug]
ivan Offline
Sick Spray Bird

Originally Posted By: Doug
. 2) Perhaps you could get some of your NASCAR buddies from the Tacoma area to hit you up with a Snap-On or Mac jacket. The perfect label for any tool.

Bwahahahaha!

hey now! i'v lived in 2 nascar towns - plenty of nascar folk are too far drunk to have any such political sensibilities!

#937184 - 01/28/10 06:41 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Lars]
tvashtarkatena Offline
Sick Spray Bird

[quote=prole]...the essence of community organizing...

So you have to change my words around to come up with a weak comeback? Is that all you have? laf

You people have been living in liberal denial these last few weeks. Maybe reality hasn't started to sink in yet. [/quote]

I heard that last sentence almost word for word on Fox 2 days ago, too. Are you writing their material?

Or...

#937185 - 01/28/10 06:44 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: tvashtarkatena]
StevenSeagal Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: tvashtarkatena

I heard that last sentence almost word for word on Fox 2 days ago, too. Are you writing their material?

Or...

He's been implanted with the neocon's micro chip that has a daily Rush/Beck/Savage/Levin/Hannity/Fox talking point feed so that he is prepared with clever zingers when "talking to liberals".

#937186 - 01/28/10 06:47 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Fairweather]
tvashtarkatena Offline
Sick Spray Bird

Separation of powers?

Get

Fucking

Real.

You know NOTHING about government. Might have something to do with the fact that you've had zero direct experience with it.

#937187 - 01/28/10 06:51 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: StevenSeagal]
tvashtarkatena Offline
Sick Spray Bird

Originally Posted By: StevenSeagal

Or...

He's been implanted with the neocon's micro chip that has a daily Rush/Beck/Savage/Levin/Hannity/Fox talking point feed so that he is prepared with clever zingers when "talking to liberals".

It's so fucking word for word that whatever tiny shred of intelligence I granted this cunt has long since evaporated. He's just another TV tool with internet access. Absolutely nothing to add to any discussion.

Edited by tvashtarkatena (01/28/10 06:52 PM)

#937189 - 01/28/10 06:54 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Fairweather]
StevenSeagal Offline
Pooh-Bah

I thought we wanted the president to be strong on his principles and not afraid to speak his mind...?

Well, good thing Cheney spent all those years strengthening the executive branch, who could have foreseen we'd get Adolf Hitler in the next election?

#937222 - 01/28/10 07:48 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: StevenSeagal]
olyclimber Offline
☼☼☼☼☼☼☼

TRs: 47 Photos: 893
Loc: In Love with You
Yeah, I prefer the president to be more passive aggressive. you know, so he would fit in in seattle and all.

#937233 - 01/28/10 08:12 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: tvashtarkatena]
ivan Offline
Sick Spray Bird

Separation of powers?

Get

Fucking

Real.

You know NOTHING about government. Might have something to do with the fact that you've had zero direct experience with it.

the thing is pat, i agree with you on the former but not the later - fucksakes, he knows at least as much about gov as me - i'm sure he could manage to ramble off the top of his head most of the amendments and the articles by subject, etc - ya know, demonstrate knowledge of the constitution in an academic sense

what's frightening is the first part - your take on separaton of powers is crap, and it's evident in your presidents of choice - you favor folks like teddy roosevelt exactly b/c they did whatever the fuck they wanted, convinced of the justice of their calling, never really even seeming to question it in retrospect, so assured they were of the Almight's Blessing - it's fucking scary - perhaps the worst thing lincoln (who i think keenly felt the wrongness of his actions but had to justify them) did was actually fucking win the war, b/c it's convinced his less apt students they can all do that too, so long as god whispers to them

obama bringing to atention w/ members of the other branches in a highly formal public setting his displeasure with their actions is checks n' powers in action - it is the very essence of the concept - for fucks sake, its not like (to my reasonably sure knowledge) that he's tapped thier phones, put mickeys in their drinks, kidnapped their ex-girlfriends, abducted them, sodomized them with plush-toys, etc.

if you actually believed in the causes he's for, you'd be excorciated him for being a pussy and not being assertive enough!

#937242 - 01/28/10 08:30 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: tvashtarkatena]
Lars Offline
addicted to cc.com

Are you writing their material?

I don't have to write anything for them. You people are a soap opera unto yourselves.

I wonder how that hope and change is working out for her these days. Do you think the stimulus found it's way to her cardboard box?

#937246 - 01/28/10 08:57 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Lars]
StevenSeagal Offline
Pooh-Bah

I wonder how that hope and change is working out for her these days. Do you think the stimulus found it's way to her cardboard box?

I know, what a joke, huh? I guess Obama wasn't the leftist everyone thought he was...

So what was your issue with him again?

#937249 - 01/28/10 09:09 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Lars]
ivan Offline
Sick Spray Bird

You people are a soap opera unto yourselves.

would love to hear you say that to a Large Black Woman, preferably one w/ a baseball bat and on her period - kinda a gallagher affair (no pun intended tvash)

#937251 - 01/28/10 09:13 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: ivan]
StevenSeagal Offline
Pooh-Bah

Are we supposed to capitalize "Large Black Woman"?

#937255 - 01/28/10 09:23 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: ivan]
tvashtarkatena Offline
Sick Spray Bird

It's all Talk Radio, All The Time. The president doesn't have the right to speak to kids. The president doesn't have the right to express an opinion on a supreme court decision. Fucking ridiculous arguments on their face, but consider the audience. I guess such arguments sound all sophisticated 'n legal-like to them.

Reverse logic and backwards causality are the first tools Talk Radio reaches for. Most of us hear such crap, dismiss it for the brain fart it is in about a nanosecond, and move on. Dittoheads, on the other hand, sit back in wonder, sparsely toothed mouths agape, stunned that The Voice of Truth has invented yet another New Way of Thinking, completely oblivious to the fact that its the same stupid pet trick every time.

#937257 - 01/28/10 09:24 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Lars]
tvashtarkatena Offline
Sick Spray Bird

Are you writing their material?

I don't have to write anything for them. You people are a soap opera unto yourselves.

Shu' Up! 'batin'!

(movie reference? Anyone?)

#937258 - 01/28/10 09:27 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: ivan]
ZimZam Offline
Pooh-Bah

TRs: 1 Photos: 61
Loc: Zion
FW be fair here. He didn't thrash the Justices. He said, "With due deference to the separation of power..." How is that thrashing?

#937259 - 01/28/10 09:27 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: ivan]
tvashtarkatena Offline
Sick Spray Bird

Originally Posted By: ivan
You people are a soap opera unto yourselves.

would love to hear you say that to a Large Black Woman, preferably one w/ a baseball bat and on her period - kinda a gallagher affair (no pun intended tvash)

Asking her if she'd like some wallamellon would be a nice thematic touch....

#937260 - 01/28/10 09:29 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: tvashtarkatena]
Fairweather Offline
sprayer

Separation of powers?

Get

Fucking

Real.

Oh really? We can compare resumes if you like. rolleyes FYI: Hanging out in front of the Freemont Chapter of the ACLU like some kind of groupie doesn't rate as high as, say, passing the LSAT.

#937262 - 01/28/10 09:30 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: ZimZam]
tvashtarkatena Offline
Sick Spray Bird

Originally Posted By: ZimZam
FW be fair here. He didn't thrash the Justices. He said, "With due deference to the separation of power..." How is that thrashing?

If he'd called them a pack of hosers it still wouldn't have been a separation of powers issue.

Lincoln continuing to denying habeas corpus, even after the Supreme Court ruled against him, Bush illegally spying on Americans without a judicial review, appeal, or statutory authority...now THOSE are separation of power issues.

#937265 - 01/28/10 09:33 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: StevenSeagal]
ivan Offline
Sick Spray Bird

Originally Posted By: StevenSeagal
Are we supposed to capitalize "Large Black Woman"?

having spent much of my with them, much of that on the phone with fucking uhaul, yes indeed - maybe all-caps even

#937266 - 01/28/10 09:34 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Fairweather]
tvashtarkatena Offline
Sick Spray Bird

Separation of powers?

Get

Fucking

Real.

Oh really? We can compare resumes if you like. rolleyes FYI: Hanging out in front of the Freemont Chapter of the ACLU like some kind of groupie doesn't rate as high as, say, passing the LSAT.

How about being an ACLU board member AND passing the LSAT?

Oops...

Of course, neither of those qualifications means that one knows shit about the actual workings of government, either. If this country had a dime for every dumb cunt who managed to pass the LSAT, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Edited by tvashtarkatena (01/28/10 09:36 PM)

#937268 - 01/28/10 09:36 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Jim]
Fairweather Offline
sprayer

Originally Posted By: Jim
Scary? As far as the Supreme Court - nothing he or anyone can do until one of the conservataives goes feet up.

Really? He could always try an FDR-esque court stacking scheme. Constitutional even!

#937272 - 01/28/10 09:40 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Fairweather]
olyclimber Offline
☼☼☼☼☼☼☼

TRs: 47 Photos: 893
Loc: In Love with You

#937273 - 01/28/10 09:42 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Fairweather]
ZimZam Offline
Pooh-Bah

Stevens is going to retire and Ginsberg looked like she was gonna croak in her seat. That'll be two liberal appointments Barry can make. Then of course it'll be partisan politics all over again. The republicans will never forgive/forget Reagan's attempt to add Bork and his subsequent rejection.

#937279 - 01/28/10 09:46 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: ZimZam]
tvashtarkatena Offline
Sick Spray Bird

Yeah, but Bjork added a letter to his name, had the operation, and went on to be a really weird Euro pop star....

#937285 - 01/28/10 09:52 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: tvashtarkatena]
tvashtarkatena Offline
Sick Spray Bird

For the record, Fremont (WA) doesn't have an ACLU chapter. Plus, I don't live there. Finally, I think I might have been really stoned when I passed the LSAT....

#937286 - 01/28/10 09:53 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: tvashtarkatena]
ZimZam Offline
Pooh-Bah

Yeah, but Bjork added a letter to his name, had the operation, and went on to be a really weird Euro pop star....
lmao

#937300 - 01/28/10 10:27 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: ZimZam]
prole Offline
sprayer

Originally Posted By: ZimZam
Stevens is going to retire and Ginsberg looked like she was gonna croak in her seat. That'll be two liberal appointments Barry can make.

Really? He could always try an FDR-esque court stacking scheme. Constitutional even!

#937302 - 01/28/10 10:32 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: prole]
mattp Offline
Spray Master

TRs: 36 Photos: 200
Loc: Seattle, WA USA
What is this reference to "passing" the LSAT? Don't you just "take" the LSAT? Last I looked your score was a factor to be considered in law school admissions but there was no pass or fail.

#937304 - 01/28/10 10:48 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: mattp]
Hugh Conway Offline
spray'prentice

TRs: 1 Photos: 24
Originally Posted By: mattp
What is this reference to "passing" the LSAT? Don't you just "take" the LSAT? Last I looked your score was a factor to be considered in law school admissions but there was no pass or fail.

you haven't figured out yet that ttk is a colostomy bag?

#937315 - 01/28/10 11:29 PM Re: State of the Union [Re: Hugh Conway]
minx Offline

sprayer

TRs: 0 Photos: 29
Loc: out running with scissors
yes, the union really is in quite a state. why all the fuss about it now? was there a pep rally or something that i missed?

#937328 - 01/29/10 06:18 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: minx]
ivan Offline
Sick Spray Bird

Originally Posted By: minx
yes, the union really is in quite a state. why all the fuss about it now? was there a pep rally or something that i missed?

jefferson davis lost frown

#937344 - 01/29/10 07:59 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: ivan]
Fairweather Offline
sprayer

Originally Posted By: ivan

the only folks scratching their heads are fools like you who were never on homeboy's side to begin w/ and in fact want nothing more than to see him fall flat on is face, no matter what it takes, even if collectively the whole country goes down the sitter in the process

was it a break from tradition? sure - but it was dipshit tradition to begin with - pretend to play all nice and ignore the cocksuckers who are working hard to make the world a worse place? no thanks. hey check it out - the sou hasn't always been this way- everyone from jefferson to wilson just wrote it down. traditions change.
Fools like me, eh? Who are "working hard to make America a worse place?" Are you serious? Trying to make America a better place via naive bullshit like his health care reform "plan" won't help anyone. I think I've given Obama credit where it's due, but the incompatibility of his ideology with American norms was apparent well before "fools like you" elected him. His inexperience (on a par with that of, say, Sarah Palin) was on display the other night as well, and the decorum that you poo poo at the very least helps maintain a facade that sets our presidents apart from dictatorial thugs. Obama's State of the Union speech wasn't at all about the state of the union--it was about Obama.

#937358 - 01/29/10 08:32 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: Fairweather]
prole Offline
sprayer

...but the incompatibility of his ideology with American norms...

Please elaborate.

#937368 - 01/29/10 08:50 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: Fairweather]
Doug Offline
Pooh-Bah

TRs: 2 Photos: 27
Loc: Renton, officially part of the...
Thanks for bringing Palin up. Experience on Par with Obama? give me a break! Intellectually? Not even freakin' close! Did you see her Fox News clip lambasting the SOTU? Since when did "mandation" (used in the context of "to mandate")become a part of the english language?

#937379 - 01/29/10 09:06 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: Fairweather]
prole Offline
sprayer

Fools like me, eh? Who are "working hard to make America a worse place?" Are you serious?

Just out of curiosity, how many more decades in power would it take you folks to turn the Earth into a complete shithole? Just a ballpark figure. Thanks in advance.

#937389 - 01/29/10 09:49 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: prole]
billcoe Offline
Spray Master

TRs: 4 Photos: 872
Loc: pdx
Just out of curiosity, how many more decades in power would it take you folks to turn the Earth into a complete shithole? Just a ballpark figure. Thanks in advance.

Same as the other folks of course. It's all same-same, don't you read jbs posts? Jbs got it this way Obama = Bush. In fact, hard to argue with him as many of this Presidents policys and appointees are identical to the last one.

Same as it ever was.

#937396 - 01/29/10 10:11 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: billcoe]
prole Offline
sprayer

Originally Posted By: billcoe

Same as it ever was.

Not really. But hey, whatever it takes to get you through the day.

Quote:

Earth facing 'catastrophic' loss of species

The Guardian, Thursday 20 July 2006

The Earth is on the brink of "major biodiversity crisis" fuelled by the steady destruction of ecosystems, a group of the world's most distinguished scientists and policy experts warn today.

Nineteen leading specialists in the field of biodiversity, including Robert Watson, chief scientist at the World Bank, and Professor Georgina Mace, director of the Institute of Zoology, are calling for the urgent creation of a global body of scientists to offer advice and urge governments to halt what they call a potentially "catastrophic loss of species".

Destruction of natural habitats and the effects of climate change are causing species to die out at 100 to 1,000 times faster than the natural rate, leading some scientists to warn we are facing the next mass extinction.

Nearly one-quarter of the world's mammals, one-third of amphibians and more than one-tenth of bird species are threatened with extinction. Climate change alone is expected to force a further 15%- 37% of species to the brink of extinction within the next 50 years.

Writing in the journal Nature today, the experts from 13 nations urge for the new body, the international mechanism of scientific expertise on biodiversity (Imoseb), to be set up to force better biodiversity policies around the world.

"We are on the verge of a major biodiversity crisis. Virtually all aspects of diversity are in steep decline and a large number of populations and species are likely to become extinct this century. Despite this evidence, biodiversity is still consistently undervalued and given inadequate weight in both private and public decisions," the authors say.

The new body will be modelled loosely on the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), a collection of the world's top climate scientists that is convened to assess the latest research on climate change and its potential implications. Because the IPCC is funded by governments, it carries sufficient clout to influence international and regional policy.

Dr Watson, a former chairman of the IPCC, said the Imoseb may face a tougher task than the IPCC because biodiversity is often more complex than climate change. An 18-month consultation is under way to agree how the body will accumulate scientific evidence, identify causes of damage and recommend ways to limit or reverse them.

In May, the World Conservation Union said the number of known threatened species stood at 16,119. Polar bears, desert gazelles and sharks were all added to the list of species facing extinction. Melting ice caps, hunting and over-fishing were identified as the culprits.

"Whether it's forests, marine systems, grasslands, you name it, they are in disrepair," said Dr Watson. "For the sake of the planet, the biodiversity science community has to create a way to get organised, to coordinate its work across disciplines, and together with one clear voice advise governments on steps to halt the potentially catastrophic loss of species already occurring."

#937404 - 01/29/10 10:32 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: billcoe]
j_b Offline
sprayer

Same as the other folks of course. It's all same-same, don't you read jbs posts? Jbs got it this way Obama = Bush. In fact, hard to argue with him as many of this Presidents policys and appointees are identical to the last one.

Same as it ever was.

No. I never said that Obama was the same as Bush. I said that all of the important decisions Obama made this year favored the corporate status quo. I believe Obama is center-right, i.e. a technocrat/3rd-way/corporatist (a la Blair/Clinton) pseudo Democrat whereas Bush was hard right. Obama will respond to some extent to genuine populist pressures to do the right thing, if said pressure materializes. In the same situation, Bush would demonize genuine populists and eventually would send in the mercenaries and the National Guard to squelch any velleity of dissent.

#937407 - 01/29/10 10:34 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: prole]
tvashtarkatena Offline
Sick Spray Bird

Fools like me, eh? Who are "working hard to make America a worse place?" Are you serious?

The earth is a shithole now, so that would be zero generations.

Within one or two generations, certainly, we'll probably experience a massive, step function 'correction' in climate, and it won't be for the benefit of the angry hairless monkeys.

#937421 - 01/29/10 10:50 AM Re: State of the Union [Re: billcoe]
prole Offline
sprayer

Same as it ever was.

Again, not really.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  AlpineK, minx, Off_White, snoboy, testmod 
© 2000-10 cascadeclimbers.com · Cookies · Board Rules · Mark all read ·