[TR] Colfax peak - Cosley/Houston Route 10/30/2007

dylan_taylor

Trip: Colfax peak - Cosley/Houston Route

Date: 10/30/2007

Trip Report:

Well, the ice is in in a few places.

Yesterday Kurt and I headed up to Baker and climbed the Cosley/Houston route on Colfax peak. The route is a ton of fun, as stated on past trip reports. Most folks who are reasonably comfortable on ice would probably consider the route to be in good nick right now. We found it a little thin, and we thought that the two crux pillars felt a bit hard and pumpy - but maybe thats because it is only October, and its been a while since any of us led an ice pitch.

The route below (on the right). Polish route (on left) is still not touching down:

colfax_02.jpg

The glacier is in suprisingly good shape for late October. It seems uncommon to have such good coverage up high this time of year while simultaneously having the road open to the trailhead. The wind associated with heavy precip from the recent October storm activity seems to have helped to mechanically harden the snow pack, and to pack snow into the crevasses. Thus bridging is pretty solid right now. However, this is the season for weak crevasse bridges, etc, and Kurt and I roped up with this caution in mind (unlike a few other folks we saw up on the Coleman yesterday). Enjoy the great travel and skiing conditions, but use prudence.

Travel conditions were great. No post-holing, good cramponing all the way from the hogsback. We walked, but some folks were on skiis. Not sure what they were up to though, we last saw them trudging up the Roman Wall with 30 minutes of light left...

We departed the car at 5:45am, and arrived at the route at about 8:45 or 9:00am. We were on the summit at 3:00pm and back to the car at 6:15pm. We spent a bit of time on the cruxes but otherwise our times seemed average given the conditions.

The first pitch is low-angle rambly ice (about 165') and stubby screws were the only ones that worked.

colfax_03.jpg

The second pitch is the first crux: a hanging curtain that is quite steep right now, as it has a lot more room to grow. It is drippy on the right side. There are a few scary hanging daggers and I regretted my choice of belay location as Kurt liberated copious amounts of ice above. However, there isn't much ice available there, and not much rock pro either.

colfax_07.jpg

Thankfully, Kurt chose not to send the dangling dagger of death down upon me, and used it as a butt-scum instead, in order to cop a rest. He ended up hauling the pack (hey! its still early season!) in order to fit comfortably in the crux. The ice seemed a bit brittle but at least it will take full length screws.

colfax_14.jpg

colfax_09.jpg

Both of us found the crux pitch short but difficult - Hard to swing when you are trying to half chimney within a few chandeliers. WI4 seems soft for a grade but, like I said, it is still a little early in the season...

The 3rd pitch is a 60m ramble up fun, perfect 55-60 degree neve (bring pickets for belays - they are bomber). For rock gear we were only able to use a baby angle, and a #10 and #11 stopper. A pink tricam or yellow TCU could have come in handy but we didn't have them. Here is Kurt climbing with perfect pieds troisième and piolet appui.

colfax_17.jpg

The fourth pitch was the 2nd crux, and was darned near vertical. It had lots of hollow ice so some of the screw placements sucked. I was pumped stupid by the top of it, and stopping to place 4 or so screws on the ice "boulder problem" didn't do much for my ego either. Maybe Kurt has pics...

The fifth and/or 6th pitches are either two 200' rope stretching ramblers, or one bit of moderate angle simu-climbing. Pickets came in handy here.

colfax_18.jpg

The last 20 feet popped us out into the sunshine, which was a nice reward for repeatedly getting the barfies on all the lower pitches...

colfax_19.jpg

The views from any summit in the Black Buttes are wicked. The exposure is wild, and whenever I look over at Lincoln I fantasize about having the magical powers to zap it into granite overnight (Even gluing the choss together would be a exciting improvement...) It is also nice to get a new angle of view for Mt Baker.

colfax_20.jpg

colfax_21.jpg

The route will probably get better by the day, until the first sustained snowfall of the season knocks the easy (driving) approach out of shape. And, you really can't beat a 1000-foot ice route with a three hour approach on easy trails, good snow, and no bushwhacking. Enjoy it while it lasts...

Gear Notes:

1 60m rope, 8 or so screws depending on fear threshold, two large stoppers, one baby angle, pink tricam, and a nice, warm jacket.

Approach Notes:

Drive to trailhead. Glacier in good shape, snow in good shape, trail in good shape.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a great day and a superb route indeed! October is an awesome month -- climbing splitters at Index one day and then true water ice two days later!

A note to all of the weekend's potential suitors--climbing under another party would surely lead to being struck by party induced icefall, so be cautious. Also, the route is circa 400m, not 600' as reported in Washington Ice.

Dylan on the first pitch

IMG_1490.jpg

Following the second pitch

IMG_1497.jpg

Higher on pitch 2

IMG_1505.jpg

Tackling the second ice pitch (pitch 4)

IMG_1527.jpg

Da summit view

IMG_1534.jpg

Dylan thinking he's still in France. come on man, these things don't work in the Cascades!

IMG_1552.jpg

nice nice nice. nice work guys.

what's the crevasse situation below the saddle? you said skiable?

a couple of slots still require a zigzag, but we didn't poke anything on foot. easy enough navigation if you point 'em downhill near your uptrack. variable conditions though, from knee deep powder to crunchy neve-ish stuff.

Kurt and Dylan looked like they had a good time so my partner and I headed up on Friday Nov. 2 - the weather was great on the approach. It deteriorated later...

STD_0110.jpg

Conditions were the same I think - polish route still looks pretty thin.

IMG_0111.jpg

Found a good sheltered rock belay at top of the first pitch on the left rather than the right.

IMG_0115.jpg

Second pitch is still fat.

IMG_0119.jpg

crappy belay at top of the 3rd pitch - only had one picket.

IMG_0121.jpg

we simul climbed the last two pitches - it felt solid and we found a few spots for screws and a few knife blades. Topping out:

IMG_0124.jpg

The storm rolled in just as we were topping out and we had an epic walk off in a white out. Not sure if we were off route or what but we had to front point down numerous pitches. Ended up rapping the last pitch before hitting the saddle.

Spent a couple of hours lost wandering around the glacier in the storm - finally made it back to the car around 7:30.

nice work! You were definately off route on the descent, but it would be kind of tricky in a storm without having done it before. from the summit, you walk south-ish down, then left & down on the crest, then up over a false summit/gendarme on it's right side. Continue down the ridge crest for a while, then drop onto the right side of the ridge (the deming side) via a narrow chute, from there it's easy walking to the saddle.

:tup: