Cascade Perks

glen

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray-

At grave risk of having you call me a disingenuous so-and-so, I'll say that I'm totally with you on the Alpental Valley ice and the Frenchmen's Coulee chosspile. Sure, I can have fun at either place, but lots of people seem to think those are the only places to go ice or rock climbing in the State! It's OK by me, though, if climbers want to go where it is convenient.

Alpental Ice; good place to go on the way back from something else.

Frenchmans Choss pile can be fun when it's cold snd shitty in seattle and in the 70's there, but for the most part I don't really get a huge kick out of climbing there.

Things I like: Mt's everywhere, lots of adventure to be had. You can see the mountains all the time so they're there to reming you what you could/should be doing. There's stuff for all skill levels.

Like,Bushwhacking=solitude from the crowds. always able to find a challenge.

dislikes, N. cascade hwy isn't open in the winter.

Instead of having one fee to pay we are nailed at every area!

But the pro's far outweigh the con's so here is one for the cascades bigdrink.gif

the elevation of the american rockies mean nothing...they rise out of a many thousand foot plateau and aren't all that impressive to begin with

Poor Josh...obviously you have never been to Glacier NP, The Mission Mountain Range, The Teton Range, The Wind River Range, OR Rocky Mountain NP!!!!

Like: I can be at E-38 for climbing or the Pass for snowboarding 45 minutes after I walk out of my office.

Dislike: It takes 3-5 days to dry out all my gear after every climb. My boots are starting to get this nasty smell from being wet all the time.

the elevation of the american rockies mean nothing...they rise out of a many thousand foot plateau and aren't all that impressive to begin with

Poor Josh...obviously you have never been to Glacier NP, The Mission Mountain Range, The Teton Range, The Wind River Range, OR Rocky Mountain NP!!!!

You are right, I haven't been to Glacier NP or Wind rivers, two places I very much want to go. I should have been more specific...I really meant the Colorado rockies, and I will stand by that, they aren't that impressive. I laugh when I hear CO people talking about all their "fourteeners" hahaha.gif

Well, I've seen stuff that's decent, and Larrabee sounds fun and all, but world class? I'm thinking Hueco, Bishop, Rocklands, Fontainebleau here - which I haven't seen or heard of. I suppose you could make a case that Smith is in the cascades, and it does have good bouldering, but it's a stretch...

So what am I missing?

100!

World Class is merely an opinion. But since were talking about opinons I'll give mine crazy.gif

The Cascade Range is close by for me, offers a nice variety of rock and routes. Although a variety of big fat plastic ice next to the road is not a reality most of the time climbing here is just as good as any other range.

Let's talk about bouldering because I don't really understand what makes a bouldering destination world class. What does? Problems rated V12 in every nook and cranny? Not being a smart ass but bouldering appears to be a sport that can be done almost anywhere rock exists. There's a lot of rock in them thar Cascades cantfocus.gif

I could go on but let's get this started HCL.gif

Uh, yeah, hey I agree it's kind of silly. I reckon the best bouldering *potential* is up in the alpine (talus slopes and the like), where all those nice clean boulders fall as they erode. But, like cragging areas, potential does not a climbing area make! No one wants to go climbing on moss-filled, weed-choked cliffs with the crumbly rock still there - unless you're going for a summit, that is, in which case anything goes. Likewise, boulderers need a modicum of development into cleaning and establishing problems and the like.

It's just like cragging - a classic area has loads of developed routes/problems of high quality, good rock, it's scenic, there's good access without being trashy (no areas beside malls or landfills or anything), etc. Good free camping nearby always helps, as does year-round sunshine, but these aren't total requirements.

I'm just theorizing here, so maybe someone who boulders more than a few times a year (although every week at the gym!) could say more...

Geek pretty much has it right. It's rather cynical to think that an area has to be packed with V12s to make it world-class, although it's true that hard routes/problems attract attention from the top dawgs, which gets attention in the mags, which draws the attention of Joe Gumby or Jaroslav Gumbjercjzowicz or Jose Gumbero to it, resulting in world-class status. You need a lot of rock (make that a lot of GOOD rock), a nice setting, variety variety variety, access, etc.