Cell Phone Coverage Question

EV

I've tried a search for this and couldn't find a thread. Sorry if this has been covered before.

Is there a cellular company that's known for good reception when we are in the hills or in a remote town?

I've got T-Mobile, and reception is not very good.

TIA

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked into this rather seriously as I work in the mountians and often have to do day to day business via cell phone.

From what I've learned, you have to have a phone that will provide both digital and analog services. I'm no techie so I'm not really sure what the major differences are. However, I do know that in most cases no reception will be found on a phone that only does digital.

Sometimes phones are advertised as having both digital and analog. Though the reality is that they don't flip between the two settings effectively. Sometimes you have to manually switch the phone from digital to analog, then it will work.

Many of the new fangled phones promote ways to check email and such on them. My experience is that these do not work in the mountains at all. These systems require a digital signal that is seldom available in the mountains.

Obviously, the higher you are the more likely it is to work. I can generally get reception above five thousand feet on Cascade volcanos. On peaks near the freeway -- such as Snoqualmie Pass type peaks -- reception is available much lower. Reception may also be lower if you are near a ski resort, they tend to have towers in the vicinity.

My phone is a Motorola flip phone with Verizon. It works pretty good.

Jason

I have been with ATT and have pretty good success with their plain Jane models. Like others have said, stay away from the newr technologies, but get ones that do have both analog and digital. I have been using Nokias, because they are one of the few phones that automagically switch between the two modes.

Happy shopping...You should be able to get a free one from ATT without too much effort. laugh.gif

-Mike

Go ahead and bring your phone if you must, I always do when I'm in the mtns alone, but pul-leeze don't use it around other people. I was a ways into the hills a couple of months ago, and heading over a high pass when I encountered some dud(e) chattering very loudly about nothing on his phone, you know, "guess where I am?"

Spare us all your pointless conversations when we are trying to get away from the mod cons of civilization.

And while you're at it, those dang Whisperlite XGKs are the loudest stoves on the planet...get sompin quieter for the times you don't need the XGK.

I'm with you all the way grrrl. I don't want to hear other people's damn cell conversations in the mountains as thought they were standing in line at Starbucks.

While we're at it, I don't even like it when people talk loudly in the back country. Have you ever noticed that sometimes you can hear another party a mile away and have another party over take you before you know they are there?

Traditionally there have been two incumbent carriers in each market. In Seattle it was McCaw Cellular (now AT&T Wireless) and US WEST Cellular (now Verizon.) With the Telecom Act of 1996 the way was paved for additional carriers to build new networks in each market. This was billed as "PCS" and the players range from Sprint, Nextel, QWEST Wireless...

The incumbent carriers, AT&T and Verizon, had a significant advantage in coverage by the fact that they had a mature analogue cellular network on which to expand while the newer PCS carriers had to build out a network from scratch. That lead has eroded a bit since the late 90's. However, it's still true that the incumbent carriers do have an edge in overall coverage.

All carriers, both incumbent carriers and PCS, now operate digital networks. However, to date, the incumbent carriers still operate analogue networks as well. Analogue network coverage is far more pervasive, especially in rural markets.

Regardless, you'll find that wireless coverage is mainly constrained to densely populated areas and major highways. However, you can get coverage in remote areas within line of sight of a cell tower (i.e. top of Rainier pointing towards Tacoma and I-5.)

Quality of service is a factor to skew perception with digital networks. While the incumbent carriers have far greater coverage with their analogue networks, their digital networks are often over capacitied (this also applies to the PCS carriers as well.) This essentially pops you over to a more distant cell tower that has capacity... but it often translates to a shitty, unreliable connection. Only if there is no digital signal will a multi-mode (digital/analogue) handset shift into its analogue mode. Though, you can force a call into analogue mode in some handsets... if you know how.

I've had service with both AT&T and Wireless and Verizon, and I've used handsets on most of the other networks in the area... and I've bitched about all of them. The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence (sigh.) However, the net/net is if you want the highest probability of coverage in rural areas, go with service on one of the incumbent carrier networks (AT&T Wireless or Verizon along the I-5 corridor,) and make sure it is analogue capable.

Hope this helps.

fruit.gif

You know what I really hate madgo_ron.gif, is when I have to look at other people in the mountains. Walking up the Kendal Katwalk, looking at the freeway, seeing and hearing the cars really PISSES ME OFF madgo_ron.gif.

If you must go into the mountains, please don't wear loud non-earthtone colors. I find it repugnant that people must use the new technology of nylon and dayglo dye when in the mountains. I especially despise people who bring wigs into the mountains, well unless it's real hair. If they really wanted to enjoy the wilderness they wouldn't need to bring wigs with them. fruit.gif

I'm with ChucK. Its all those other people out there that really piss me off. Especially when I go to climb one of those "select" climbs in perfect weather on a saturday and there are hundreds of them, all using those stupid bright pink stiffy dogbone draws. That really pisses me off.