• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to

Poster: Greg_W

Subject: Re: How do you Sock Up??

So, I would think that if your liner did ITS job and pulled the moisture out to the outside of the sock, the Smartwool (or other) would do ITS job and wick said moisture to the outside of it.

Thats exactly what happens, but once wicked to wool, there's not really anywhere for it to go when in a boot, and wool may wick, but it doesn't really dry that fast while in a sweaty non-breathing boot. When wet, wool sort of works like a wetsuit, in that the water/sweat in it warms up.

I like the liners cause they are light and you can bring extra without adding that much weight, so even if yer woolies are crusty you can throw on a new pair of liners and feel all fresh and clean.

BTW, what's with boots claiming that they are "breathable", unless there's mesh it aint breathable, and if there is mesh it aint waterproof.

SmartWool makes a Liner sock, but liner socks are really not necessary. One of the most important considerations in taking care of your feet is keeping them dry, and for long days or wet conditions, the best thing you can do for your feet is to have a second pair to switch into when the first pair is soaked. SmartWool makes socks in different styles and thicknesses, so you should be able to find the "right" one for any of your endeavors. And SmartWool backs their socks - "guaranteed not to itch or shrink and to outperform all other socks or your money back."

"So, I would think that if your liner did ITS job and pulled the moisture out to the outside of the sock, the Smartwool (or other) would do ITS job and wick said moisture to the outside of it. "

This is true. - I've found that boots (unlike running/approach shoes) don't breath very well - so the liner saturates, then the socks, then my feet. Hey, it's what works for me.

i find that smartwool's get really matted...especailly after spending a coupla days in em...even in the washing machine they really dont ever regain their cushyness...they also seem to get progresively sweatier the old thye are...like mabe they stop breathing? i dont know...for all the $$$ they are kindadissapointing.. i have taken to buying whatever socks are on sale as the price is ridiculous...

Do you turn them inside out in the washer?? It helps. (RTFM)

Hot tip: don't lend your favourite ski socks out to someone who is going to break their tib/fib, it will get cut off by the EMT's!! mad.gif

Smartwool aint the only socks in my drawer. I got some of those ones trask reccomends, but find those kinda sweaty. There's some other ones too, $7 at MEC, tough as nails, not too cushy. I try to wear them out by wearing them to work, but they won't die. SW always is the one I want to wear though.

Edited by snoboy

I agree with snoboy and disagree [i guess] with redmonk. Smartwool will regain cushiness in the wash, but I do turn them inside out, which probably helps.

I think Smartwools are designed to work w/o liners, but that is just a guess based on their interior knit. I also find them vastly superior to wool for all day hiking comfort and wicking ability.

Some key factors I think that have been identified in this thread are such: First of all, how sweaty are your feet, Greg? My feet aren't very sweaty so what works for me, may or may not work for you. Second, where are you having blister issues? I generally don't get them, except occasionally on my heel if its a new/stiff boot, or it just plain doesn't fit right. Probably the single most important issue with blisters is boot fit!!! This is best dealt with a priori, but can be customized post hoc by adjusting the thickness of your sock system. Sometimes, after boots break in, and get a little looser, I start wearing more or thicker socks to make up for the extra room. Finally, if the blisters are appearing only on your heel, just throw a piece of tape over your heel when you boot up for the day and call it good.

I've got narrow heels and have had sporadic blister problems over the years no matter what combination of socks I've used. On a friends advice this year I tried runners socks as a liner. These are two layer synthetic socks. I wear a heavy weight Thorlo sock over them - no blisters this year!