How do you Sock Up??

Greg_W

Since I've been totally bored lately, I have taken to debating the obscure with myself. Now I bring it to you. What sock combinations do you gapers use and what works? I have always used liners and wool socks. This has given me mixed results: feet don't always stay dry and I do get blisters/hotspots. I have been looking at the SmartWool socks and been thinking about trying them out. Do any of you use these? With or without liners?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to poo poo the liner sock theory. However, I suffered heel blisters and hot spots with my mountaineering boots/snowboard boots/skates. After much frustration I gave a super lightweight polypro liner sock a try with a variety of socks (coomax, smartwool, blah , blah, blah.) My problems went away. It doesn't seem to matter what the outer layer sock is for the boots. I still end up with wet feet and hot spots from perspiration in skates, but it's better than without. bigdrink.gif

I've had more trouble with liners & socks than just socks alone - liners always seem to make the other sock slip around, bunch up, and cause a blister (even with socks too small). Smartwools are nice socks - as are the Patagonia Capilenes. I trend towards Medium Weight/Light Weight in socks, the really warm socks always cause my feet to sweat horribly(above 0F), which really brings out the blisters .

I have a few pairs of SmartWool that I have used mostly for backpacking. They rock at first, but after a week or so, the once plush interior of the sock becomes crusty. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be abetted by washing in the creek, but does recover from a good ole soak in the Maytag. I still think they are the best backpacking socks I've owned. I do not wear a liner with them and have had no major blister probs.

However, for winter mountaineering/ice climbing (in leathers), I like to wear a liner for warmth more than blister issues. I have been wearing Thor-lo expedition weight socks with a cotton athletic sock liner for day trips, and a relatively thick synthetic liner for multi-days. Works for me.

Skiing, I like a relatively thin sock, such as Thor-los ski-specific models, no liner. But here fit is the issue, not warmth because of the double/plastic aspect of ski boots (mine, anyway--some of the old-school leather fiends might have different issues). With plastic mountaineering boots, might this be the case? I don't own any.

So, what type of activity are you buying boots for?

I wear a Thorlo fitted liner with an "Ice Sock" (wool polypro spandex blend) from MEC ( I forget who makes it) over top.

The theory I heard about liners is that the friction is dissipated between sock and liner doesnt go to your foot hence blisters you less. Many of the times I have been blistered is when wearing a single sock. Thats why I dont trust the Smartwool. Also a liner should be hydrophilic inside & phobic outside thus transferring and transporting moisture from the foot to the outer sock hence keeping the foot nice and dry. with only a single sock like Smartwool, wouldnt your foot be wetter?

Smartwool all the way. I always where liners and vary the outer sock depending on conditions, from like hikers to the burly mountaineer sock. This way my feet don't sweat much. I usually put mole skin on my heel to prevent blisters regardless of the socks. I never get blisters with this system and my feet stay dry most of the time. Smartwool rockband.gif

"Also a liner should be hydrophilic inside & phobic outside thus transferring and transporting moisture from the foot to the outer sock hence keeping the foot nice and dry. with only a single sock like Smartwool, wouldnt your foot be wetter? "

All things being equal, I think you would be correct. I find the increased insulation of the liner & outer sock causes my feet to sweat more - enough so that the sock system can't transmit the sweat away, and some small rub invariably causes a blister.

The smart wools do pack out after a couple days - the Patagucci socks stay better lofted I've found.