• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
fgw

[TR] Wadi Rum, Jordan - Camels, Sand, and Hummus. 3/6/2012

Trip: Wadi Rum, Jordan - Camels, Sand, and Hummus.

Date: 3/6/2012

Trip Report:

Photo TR of a 9 day stay in Wadi Rum Jordan. For words and more pics, see here. .

A dromedary (Arabian camel). Member of the family Camelidae whose habitat includes North Africa and Middle East and whose diet consists primarily of cardboard boxes (Feb. 2012):

IMG_5666-1024x768.jpg

Leading the money pitch of Troubador: a beautiful corner splitter (6a+) in perfect rock that goes from red to blue Camalots in size (Feb. 2012):

IMG_3397-768x1024.jpg

Topping out on pitch 4 of Merlin's Wand. Great rock and fun climbing (Feb. 2012):

IMG_3419-1024x768.jpg

Merlin's Wand (left crack) in all of its 5-pitch glory. Shirley can be seen on the right rapping down (Feb. 2012):

IMG_5351-768x1024.jpg

Shirley hiking near the Rest House with a Bedouin giving his camels some morning exercise (Feb. 2012):

IMG_5392-1024x768.jpg

Shirley styling the crux pitch (#3 & clocking in at 6b) of The Star Of Abu Judaidah - finger crack (intermittent) with some delicate stemming (Feb. 2012):

DSCN2045-768x1024.jpg

Leading pitch 6. This is the other 6b pitch of the route but it felt much easier than the finger crack of pitch 3 (Feb. 2012):

IMG_3467-768x1024.jpg

A rare (& wonderful) tourist free view of The Treasury in Petra (Feb. 2012):

IMG_5576-768x1024.jpg

He lives (& tours the world it seems)! So you better watch your fucking mouth comrade (Feb. 2012):

IMG_5541-1024x768.jpg

Shirley topping out on Orange Sunshine (Feb. 2012):

DSCN2125-768x1024.jpg

Yours truly at the spacious ledge belay atop pitch 4 of The Pillar Of Wisdom (Feb. 2012):

IMG_3540-768x1024.jpg

Shirley on the domes just above the top out point of The Pillar Of Wisdom (Feb. 2012):

DSCN2226-1024x768.jpg

The sandstorms we saw during our last 2 days in Wadi Rum (Feb. 2012):

IMG_5620-1024x768.jpg

Shirley leading pitch 4 of Inferno (Feb. 2012):

DSCN2334-768x1024.jpg

Camels in the desert (March 2012):

IMG_5679-1024x768.jpg

Very cool. Looks like an interesting trip with some great climbing too. I noticed that you guys were tenting it but are there other accomodations, such as guest houses, as well?

hey thanks! It's really a great place (esp. if you like multipitch trad routes in the 5.8 to 5.10 range) & it was the interaction with the people in the village that really made the whole experience special. I think you might be able to find a room to rent out from the Bedouin (we heard of some fairly steep prices when we were looking at that option... ~200JD/week...remember it's about 1.45 USD/JD) but there are no real established motel type things in the village as far as I know. If you don't want to lug a tent, I'm sure you can rent one from one of the Bedouin or use one at the rest house (they had 4 set up & were usually empty).

Funny, never knew camels liked cardboard. Really appreciate your climbing photos and website! Good to see positive experiences posted about the middle east as well.

Nice photos! I was there about 3 years ago with my kids camping and scrambling around. Your pictures are very inspiring!

Hell yeah!!!!!!!! That looks awesome. A friend went there last year, but never shared any photos. It is definitely on the list now!